Just Friends, Maybe More

Voicemail

~Zelo's POV~

"Zelo! How long have you been following me?!" Youngjae caught me... It wasn't like I was hiding this time though. We were both heading back to the hotel anyway, he couldn't just leave me here... Could he?

I just shrugged, "The whole time. I was surprised that you didn't notice."

His face grew blank, I think he was trying to piece together everything... "Did you hear back at the bakery that I.....?" "Like Haewoo? Yeah, I heard it." I looked him in the eyes. "So do you want to talk about that now or later?"

"Junhong-ah, I'm sorry!" Youngjae hyung bowed. "I know that she was your girlfriend, but-!" I held out my hand to stop him. "From what I heard, you still hadn't figured it out yet. So let's just leave it at that." I sighed and looked at Youngjae again, "I don't blame you for liking her... Hyung, until I'm ready, take care of her."  Youngjae stood there and blinked for a second, trying to process what I just asked of him. Finally he nodded, "Come on Zelo, let's go. I bet the others are wondering how we got away."

*************************************************************

We put back our mini disguises and walked back into the hotel. Now, there were more fans than ever and they were frantically looking for us.

When we got back to our room, the hyungs were waiting for us, trying to figure out how we escaped.

Everyone wanted to go out to explore Hong Kong. After reading the book Haewoo gave me for my birthday, we wanted to go to out and have some fun. But the problem was the fans... Hopefully, most of them would be gone by tomorrow morning so we could get out.

While we planning what we would do for tomorrow Youngjae's phone rang.

But he didn't answer it... He didn't even looked to see who it was.

*************************************************************

"Aren't you going to answer it?" I asked Youngjae hyung. But he shook his head, "Aniya, I'll just check my voicemail later."

Manager Kang came in the room again.

"You guys! Rehearsals have been moved to today! We have to go now!" He screamed at the top of his lungs. Manager hyung did not like changes like this. Everything seemed like a blur. Everyone grabbed something and threw it into a bag, we would sort out our things later. There was no way we could be late....

As we walked out fans crowed and screamed, making it hard for us to even get to our van. But at least now we had all these fan gifts.

"Look at this!" Yongguk yelled excitedly, "It's ramen!!!" To hyung, ramen was 'a gift from God' "That's nothing!" Himchan held up his gift of instant coffee. The others began to show off their gifts, someone actually gave me a mini skateboard keychain, but as I was looking through my bag, I found that Haewoo's book was missing!

"Hyung!" I turned to Youngjae, "Haewoo's book! It's not in my bag!" I slowly began to panic. My hyungs began to look around to see if it was here, and thankfully Jongup had it in his hand (Why? I have no idea.... That was just how Jongup was.) "Gomawo hyung!" I bowed. Thank God I didn't lose it! I started to flip through the pages. 

Wait, something was missing.... I flipped through again.

"It's gone!" The others looked at me, :What is it now?" Youngjae asked. "My couple picture with Haewoo, it's gone."

We knew what would happen if someone found it. Scandals, media knocking on our doors begging for answers, and the most likely of all, netizens. If that picture somehow got online, Haewoo would be in trouble. As much as I love my fans, some are just mean... Haewoo could get hurt.

"What are we going to do?" Youngjae asked. "Are you sure it's not in here?" Yongguk asked. To make sure that it just didn't fall out while we were in the car, we looked around again.

Nothing

"Junhong-ah, Youngjae-hyung! Mianhae!" Jongup apologized. "If Haewoo-yah gets in trouble or hurt because I lost that picture...." "Hyung! It's not you fault! I shouldn't have even brought that picture with me in the first place."

*************************************************************

Dang it! Why did I have bring that picture anyway?

It was my favorite picture of us. I still looked at it all the time. If I left it at home I wouldn't have lost...

Amazing, I was the one who broke up with her and now I can't get enough of her.

*************************************************************

~Haewoo's POV~

Not long after I came back, I jumped onto my bed, pulled out my phone and called Youngjae.

For this to work, he can't answer his phone. When the time comes when he thinks Zelo is ready, hopefully after they leave for Hong

Youngjae hyung will check his voicemail. I called a bunch of times because I kept messing up what I was going to say.

But when I finally did, it was a moment not to soon because Akimi knocked the door down.

And she brought friends....

*************************************************************

"Haewoo-yah!" One of my American friends began to use -yah at the end of my name now. I guess that means we were become close.. "What's wrong?" I asked in English. "B.A.P.'s in town! We're going to go to their hotel! Do you want to come?"

I looked at Akimi, we just met Youngjae half an hour ago, and we didn't really feel like waiting for nothing. We gave each other a quick glance and nodded. We had to keep our act together and become a complete fan girl. "Of course!"

"I didn't realize that their hotel was so close to the school..." There were hundreds of fans outside with B.A.P. shirts and banners. Security kept them from going inside to make the already crowded lobby even more crowed. They wouldn't let anyone in, except for us. Since the people we were with were definitely NOT Asian, everyone thought that they were actually guests at the hotel, which basically got all of us in.

"Can you believe it? We could see B.A.P!" One of my friends squeaked. "What do you think they'll be wearing?" Another asked. Trying to keep up with appearances, I joined in on the fan-girl-ing. "Do you think that they will be wearing make up." I knew that Zelo would. He liked wearing BB Cream for some reason.

Suddenly screaming arose from near the elevators. That could only mean that B.A.P. was going to rehearsals. Akimi and I exchanged looks again. Youngjae had told us that rehearsals weren't until tomorrow.

Uh oh.

It seemed like something changed in their schedule... Crap. I thought that I wouldn't see Zelo. I know I said I wanted to see him earlier, but hey, I'm a girl and I can change my mind.

"They're coming this way!" My friends fumbled to take their phones out of their pocket and crowded around the members. Everyone had gifts to give and were handing everything they could to them. Somehow, I got pushed out, but it's not like I haven't met them before. I spotted each of the members. "Huh, I guess they're all doing fine." Wait, Jongup was holding something in his hand....

Zelo's birthday present? What's he doing with it? "Haewoo!" Akimi ran up to me. "Are you okay? When I lost you in the crowd, I was worried!" "I'm fine! Besides what could happen?" A scream echoed.

My group of friends marched up to me, looking a little confused. "Haewoo-yah! Explain this!" They demanded holding up a picture they had found on the floor.

I leaned in closer, it was a photo of me with Zelo...

"You told us you never met them before!" The began to freak out and other fans starting staring at us. Akimi tried to calm them down, "Look, let's talk about this outside, people are watching. We'll buy some food." They looked at each other and nodded. "Fine."

That bakery was going to get a lot of business today, this would be the 2nd time I've been here today. We sat in a booth and ordered some cake. Thankfully the shop was mostly empty, so we could talk freely. "Now, where were we?" I sighed and began to fill them in on how I got to be friends with B.A.P. I tried to leave out the 'I dated Zelo' part as best I could. Sadly, they could tell that I was hiding something....

"But that doesn't explain why they would have this photo with them" my French friend wondered, looking back at me searching for answers.

"I don't know. I haven't talked to them for awhile, maybe they just had it mixed in with everything?" I shrugged. My other friend looked at the picture again and said. "This is a couple photo isn't it?" Shocked expressions took over everyone's faces at her suggestion. I guess it was obvious, Zelo had his arms around me and our cheeks were touching, and we even had the same color shirts (but it was Sports Day at my school when that photo was taken so...)

"Is it true? Is this really a couple photo?" I nodded and told them we dated, there was no point in denying it now. Random questions started being thrown out. "What is he like?  How's his English? Is he a good kisser?" Countless questions I couldn't answer. Apparently they didn't understand the 'dated' part of what I just said. Akimi stopped them and defended me from the onslaught of questions. "You guys, Haewoo just broke up with him. Give her some space."

Silence.

"I'm sorry Haewoo-yah, we didn't realize." "It's fine." They handed me the picture, "Here, I think you should return this. It must still be special to him. Hopefully whatever you guys are going through will end happy."

*************************************************************

We went back to pretending like nothing had happened and finished our cake.

We all agreed that until I brought it up, talking about the picture, my relationship with Zelo, and any/all questions about him would be banned.

I looked at the picture of us. It was a happier time back then... I remember how hard we tried to make the effort to see each other. Looks like it was wasted after all, but, why would he still have this?

Wasn't he with Nani now? The picture's edges looked worn out from being held too much. He must have looked at this countless times. But why?

I shook off the thought that he might still care, he told me he didn't. The worn out edges must just be from before all of this....

All of us were at the university now, dinner was about to be served, but I didn't feel like eating. Instead I went to my room and pulled out all of my pictures of us together, I didn't have this picture in my collection.

Zelo begged me to let him keep the polaroid, saying it was the only one of us he had.

Memories filled the pages of this photo book, times we were happy, and even a few from just before we broke up. I don't know what to think anymore. I just smiled.

I need to end our story and start a new book.

Make new memories.

Hopefully even better ones.

*************************************************************

~Zelo's POV~

Rehearsals went by quickly. It was a huge blur of make-up, costumes, and sound checks. All I could really think about was Haewoo.

I thought about the photo I lost. I thought about how she hugged Youngjae at the bakery. I thought about how jealous I felt then. I thought about how she grew to be so different and mature. And in only a month!

But she really didn't change. Her smile was still as bright as ever. She was still the only one who could make me feel this way. I couldn't figure out what was so special about her.

Is what I'm feeling love?

*************************************************************

Soon, rehearsals were finished and we could go back to the hotel.

Fans were screaming. Security was running around. And countless more presents were handed.

We were all in our rooms now. Jongup and Daehyun wanted to get more sleep, while Yongguk and Himchan were having a war movie marathon. Youngjae and I didn't want to do any of those things so we just we lying around in my room. He was reading a book while listening to some music while I was just staring at the ceiling. 

"Aigoo...." I sighed. Youngjae looked up from him book. "Zelo, stop sulking. I'll just ask Haewoo for a copy of that picture. I bet she has one in that photo book." I didn't bother to tell him that it was the only copy. But that wasn't why I was sighing. "Hyung, can I see Haewoo?" He turned the page in his book and said, "No." "But waeyo*!" I whinnied. 

"The reason Akimi and I told her to come here was so she couldn't see you. And didn't you tell me to take care of her until you were ready?"

"Youngjae, I just need to talk to her." He wouldn't budge. "You don't need to. The two of you just need to move on. Plus, aren't you dating that new trainee?"

I knew that would come up eventually. The hyungs found out about Nani a long time ago, but they never really said anything straight to my face. Its probably why they didn't know that nothing ever happened since the kiss.

"No. I'm not." Youngjae looked surprised and closed his book. "I thought that you broke up Haewoo to date her." "I just wanted to break up with Haewoo without hurting her. Nani was the best way I thought of." I rolled over on to my stomach. "But Nani didn't want to date me if we both didn't had no idea why we liked each other."

"Sorry, I didn't know." Youngjae's tone held some pity. "Is that why you want to talk to Haewoo?" I shook my head, "I deserve a second chance. Remember when you saw me reading her birthday card? She said she still wanted to be friends. I just want to give her that."

He didn't say anything, so I just kept on talking. "I doubt that Woojin would let me anyway. After I talked to him, he told me that I hadn't figured out what to apologize for. I had to ask Nani for what she thought. Hyung, I need to talk to her." I brought the conversation back to asking for permission to see her.  "If I can't do that, then I really never deserved to have her."

I waited for a reply, but he didn't say anything.

"So what do you want to do tomorrow?" Youngjae asked instead. Sighing, I knew that was the end of the conversation, I would have to try again another time,

*************************************************************

The next day, Manager Kang took us to all the places that were in Haewoo's book.

We went to the Avenue of the Stars, the Clock Tower, and went to that hotel bridge in Boys Over Flowers.

Then, we went to Ladies Market. I know that it's called Ladies Market, but they actually sold a lot of stuff for guys too. There were even a few shops that sold skateboards!

Haewoo really thought of everything. She even wrote down the name of a few restaurants to go to for after our shopping adventure.

Throughout the day, it felt like Haewoo was there with me. It was like a date that should have happened. I can imagine her posing in front of the Clock tower or the bridge, begging me to take a picture. I could almost see her running around Ladies Market looking at all the cute accessories she wanted but then finally picking out something for me instead.

I wonder if that was why she made the book. She wrote that she we could break up, so she knew that those promises weren't going to come true...

The fun soon ended and we had to get as much rest as possible for tomorrow. The next day came sooner than later....

Another morning of rushing to get ready, another crowd to fight through, and more sound checks/rehearsals.

Now, the hyungs were getting food, leaving me and Youngjae, once again, by ourselves.

*************************************************************

I tried asking Youngjae again to let me see Haewoo. But he didn't say anything.

All he did was take out his phone. "Hyung?" Waving for me to come next to him, Youngjae told me "Haewoo told me not to do this at least until after we left Hong Kong. But I think you need to hear this." He tossed me his phone. "When it asks for the password, it's just four 0s"

"Hyung?" What's going on?

"Zelo-yah, yesterday I got the impression that Haewoo chose all those places for you." he sighed, looked up and muttered to himself "I hope I'm doing the right thing."

I nodded, "But hyung, what does this have anything to do with right now?" "Listen to the message first. Make your decision before we leave tonight." He left me by myself to listen to the voicemail. I typed in the password and followed the instructions to find her message.

*beep* "Hey Junhong." Haewoo's voice sounded nervous. "You should be listening to this after your visit to Hong Kong. I guess I should tell you that I am actually living here."

She sighed, "I know that you wanted to see me and that you got into a fight with Woojin. Sorry about that, I tried to keep as much as I could from him. But he told me that you were looking for me. I feel kind of bad I didn't tell you that I was leaving, but it was for the best. I needed to not think of you."

She went on about Akimi and Youngjae's plan and eventually told me the address of her school. "Anyway, by now I hope that you figured out why I was so frustrated. Next time you come to Hong Kong, don't be afraid to stop by. I know this amazing bakery near campus."

The message ended right after that.

I smiled. So this is what Youngjae meant by making my decision. I didn't think twice. After grabbing my mask and a hat, I ran out the door.

The hyungs were nearby with the food when I zoomed pass them. "Zelo where are you going?" Yongguk asked "To see a girl!" I shouted still running. They tried to stop me but Youngjae defended me "Let him go, the awards ceremony isn't until later tonight anyway.. Besides," he smirked, "That kid is finally doing something right."

I tried to avoid the fans wandering the revenue and boarded a the closest taxi I saw. I mumbled some English and the school's address to the taxi driver and hoped it was the right place.

When I got out, paid the taxi driver (thankfully, Manager Kang gave us all some Hong Kong dollars to spend) and then ran out to find Haewoo. Everyone was looking at me, probably because I was still wearing my outfit for tonight's performance, but I didn't care. A few girls came up to me and asked, "Are you Zelo?" I nodded, "Sorry, but I don't have time..." One of them nodded, "We know. I bet you're looking for Haewoo right?"

I blinked, "You're friends with Haewoo?" They nodded, "We found out that you two dated yesterday. She should be in class." They gave me directions to her class. "Thanks!"

A little later, I got to her class just as it was finishing. All the students were talking to each other about class. I scanned the room and found her.

She had her hair down. She had on a dress with a navy blue cardagan and boots. And she was beautiful... Our eyes met."Junhong-ah?" she said surprised.

"Haewoo-yah." I finally found her.

*************************************************************

~Haewoo's POV~

I can't believe it. Is he really standing in front of me? It must be him, he was wearing a really fancy outfit and his mask.

I thought I told Youngjae not to give him the message at least until after they left.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him. "The awards ceremony is-!" "Later tonight. This can't wait." He cut me off.

A crowd began to form around the Kpop star, "Come on, let's go somewhere quiet." I grabbed his arm and dragged him to a quiet street away from the school.

He started laughing, "This brings back some memories doesn't it?" I smiled back shyly.  "Yeah...." He was thinking back to the day when he told me he like me. I led him to the bakery, by now the owner had recognized my face so she smiled and prepared my usual order.

"Zelo-yah, what did you want to talk about?" He didn't answer, "You know, it's been awhile since we've had a normal, drama free talk. Let's avoid all that for now okay?" he leaned in closer and started eating his cake. Surprised, I began to just talk. "Well, I've been learning Chinese and....."

We talked and talked about my life here in Hong Kong and his promotions. We burst out laughing from all the old inside jokes and everything our friends did to keep us from seeing each other. It really felt like nothing had happened, but that question kept lingering in the back of me mind. I couldn't help myself.

"So... How's Nani doing?" Zelo stopped eating his cake and looked up. "Fine. She's still as busy as every practicing." Does that mean they're seeing each other? It wasn't exactly a clear answer. "So do you go to her school to pick her up?" I asked again. But instead of answering, Zelo just laughed. "No, I don't. We've been too busy for that." He smirked.

Okay, this kid was playing with me. So I asked him directly. "Choi Junhong, are you dating Nani?" My cheeks felt warm as the words left my mouth. I stared down at my cake and waited. What was he going to say? Would he laugh at the stupidity of my question?

Of course they would be going out right?

I was right, he did laugh, but for the wrong reason.... "I'm sorry Haewoo-yah! I just couldn't help it!" "Huh? What do you mean?" "I'm not dating Nani!" he stopped laughing and smiled again. "Wait, why not?" I wasn't sure if I should be hurt that the guy who cheated on me wasn't even dating the girl he kissed or happy that he was single.

Zelo explained everything. Nani apparently broke up with him before they even started officially dating. (I bet that must have hurt his pride.)

"So... is that what you're doing here?" I asked "Are you trying to win me back because things between you two didn't work out?"

"Aniya." He took out a folded up letter, my letter. "I've read this a thousand times and I still didn't get it."

Zelo looked straight into my eyes. "Now I do. I hurt you and made you feel like all your love was wasted. I'm sorry that I didn't really understand love. But... I'm here to ask you if we could go back to be friends."

Wow, this guy has changed a lot in a month. I was sure that he was here to try to take me back or something.

Smiling, I answered, "That's all I ever wanted."

Who knows how long we talked after that. But when I saw the sky begin to turn orange, I knew that we had talked for a really, really long time.

Huh, it's strange. I felt like we only talked for a few minutes.

Thank God that I didn't have any other classes today. But Zelo needed to get back to the others!

I helped him call a taxi and sent him off. Of course, that guy couldn't just leave without saying goodbye.

"Haewoo-yah!" he rolled down the window before leaving. "I'm leaving tonight. Do you think we could see each other again when I come back? We still haven't played that game of Starcraft." His eyes twinkled playfully. "Of course! Just don't tell Akimi!" The driver reminded us that the meter was running, so we had better say goodbye faster. Yet....

"Ah! I forgot!" I fished out some money to pay for the ride and Zelo's photo. "My friends found this on the floor of the hotel lobby. Here, you should have it back." At first he took it, but changed his mind and gave it back.

"Keep it. That way you won't have an excuse not to see me." I put the photo back into my purse.

"Haewoo-yah! One more thing!" He stuck his arms out of the window expecting a hug. I rolled my eyes, but indulged his request. Yet, he wasn't satisfied with just that.

As I pulled away from the hug, Zelo pulled me back in and kissed me on the cheek. "J-junhong!" I jumped back to reach for my cheek, my face now blushing bright red.

"Sorry Haewoo! I just couldn't help myself!" He threw his head back laughing and told the taxi driver to go.

"I'll see you soon!" He waved goodbye as the car drove off.

*************************************************************

I stood there in shock. I couldn't move my hand from my cheek. It was stuck and refused to dome down.

I couldn't believe what had just happened.

But I didn't dislike it.

In fact, I actually liked it....

Youngjae called Akimi and told her what he did, so she wasn't surprised when I came back to the school with my face still red and hand attached to my cheek.

She just sighed and said if we were going out again. "Nope," I replied, "We're just friends." Ha! That look on her face was priceless. That was unexpected, Akimi thought for sure that I would throw myself at Zelo, begging him to take me back.

Really, I'm not that weak of a person. I wouldn't beg...

My friends who told Zelo where my class was begged me to tell them the details, but I kept it a secret. Besides, I doubt they would even believe the 'just friends' story.

The school was abuzz from the Mnet Awards thing. From what all the fans at the concert said, B.A.P did amazing. Which meant Zelo got back on time. 

Hah! I bet he got yelled at by Manager Kang for being missing all day.

Just the thought of him not minding his scolding made me smile.

Zelo and I keep in touch through email and we're even making plans for Akimi's and my Christmas visit. I think ice skating and hot cocoa are somewhere on that list.

We've grown a little stronger though this, a little more mature. I know we've moved beyond our past dramas, and I know that we're back to being just friends again, but over time how knows?

Maybe we could be more.....

Le Fin~ ^^

________________________________________________________________________________________

Yay! I'm finally done! My first completed fanfic!!! 

What do you think of the ending? It's not exactly drama filled, but I think it ended cleanly!

Wow! It's amazing that so many people subscribed to such a short story! So thanks for all the support and comments!

But.... I still feel like I could use more feedback. Hehe!

Where can I improve my writing? Do you like reading different characters POVs? Favorite scenes? Favorite characters? Any overused words? Anything feedback is good feedback! (As long as it isn't bashing/hating ^^)

Also, I've been receiving some requests for a sequel.... Should I make one? (^O^)? Maybe if I get enough requests/subscribers! (Aren't I mean? :P)

Don't worry though, I made this story perfect for a sequel! I left a bunch of loop holes and un-kept promises in here for a reason!

Once again, thanks for all the love! Send me a friend request or something! I'd love to talk to more of you guys! ^^

See you all soon!

 

PS As a gift, I'm thinking about making a poster for this fic... Hmmmh, what will it look like I wonder? ^^