Three Strikes.

Wallflowers.

 

In the late afternoon Kris had to leave for his Discreet Math class. Kai watched him get this bag and get ready to leave. Kris was smiling slightly. Kai's eyes followed Kris for a second.

"What are you so smiley about FanniePack?"

Kris cringed, "Don't call me that." Kai was probably the only one on campus who knew his real name. Even Kris's mom had begun to call him Kris but one time she messed up, purposely, to embarrass Kris in front of Kai at a sleepover once and since then... FanniePack

"Well?" Kai asked.

"I'm not smiling," Kris flicked his eyes to Kai's laptop screen, "I was just laughing at you."

Kai looked puzzled, "What did I do?"

"Kai, Neopets? Really? We're in college."

Kai grasped his laptop and put it to his chest in defense. Kris snorted tossing his backpack over his shoulder.

"Leave me alone~ You're mean, BlumaR00mi3L00mi3Roo22 is famished! What am I supposed to do?" 

"Umm... maybe grow up." Kris said opening the door.

"See, that's why nobody likes you. You were probably smiling because you're in lesbians with math." Kai mumbled closing his laptop.

"They love me and shut up and feed your Neopets." Kris said slamming the door shut before a pillow hit him. 

Having nothing to do whatsoever with Kris gone, Kai decided to go search for food. Kai stumbled into the halfway, slamming the door because it got caught on the pillow he threw earlier. A lot of people were on his dorm floor. Most classes must have just gotten out or something. Kai raised a brow smugly when he glanced across the hall seeing a flustered Sehun beneath the long arms of a confident Chanyeol. He was whispering something, Kai observed, and leaning closer and closer to Sehun's face. Kai cleared his throat and put his hands in his pockets trying to look as cool as he could manage. 

"And you talk about us..." Kai shook his head and Sehun weaseled away from Chanyeol. Sehun ran to catchup with Kai on the steps.

"It's not like that Kai, honestly. He's just weird. We're just friends." Sehun pleaded uncomfortably. Kai just nodded. He didn't show that he believed Sehun, he just nodded again silently.

"Kai, I'm serious~" Sehun whined.

"It's okay, if you like him. That's your thing. Honestly most species can't resist the male and his flamboyant displays. It's only natural that you'd fall for him."

"But it's, not like that."

"Mmhmm."

"Whatever Kai."

Sehun pouted and Kai laughed.

"What's so funny Kai?" 

"I've only known you guys for two days and it's obvious he likes you. Don't you like him too?"

Sehun blushed rubbed his hands against his pants timidly, "It's really not like that. He's just a touchy person."

"I wish I had someone to like me like that," Kai said dreamily, "he could have all the kisses he wants, I wouldn't deny him."

"I didn't deny him!"

"So you were trying to kiss him, huh?" Kai smirked at his cleverness. Sehun was almost having a fit, waving his hands back and forth in denial.

"You're twisting my words!" Sehun cried. A couple of passing students glanced at them weirdly. Once the students were out of earshot, Sehun talked again, quieter this time. "You're misunderstanding things I'm sure."

"It's very hard to misunderstand when the evidence is blatantly in front of you."

"Does this advice apply to you and Kris, also," Sehun asked, "because if so, where's all those kisses you promised him?" Sehun mimicked kissing sounds obnoxiously.

Oh how the tables have turned.

"It's not like that!" Kai said with wide eyes. Sehun smirked.

"Sure Kai."

"IT'S R-REALLY NOT!" Kai panicked. He could no longer keep his false cool demeanor act up, quickly he reverted to his usual bundle of nerves and jitters.

"You see it's not funny now that it's you huh?"

"It's not the same, Sehun. Me and K-Kris really aren't like that. I-It's obvious that you and um... Ch-Chanyeol... are kinda..." Kai moved his hands and interlaced his fingers to emphasize what he wanted to say.

Words have failed him again.

The normal conversation bar has depleted to 0%.

Sehun rolled his eyes.

"I'm going to be late for class, so bye." Sehun ducked into his classroom. Kai blinked and he returned, "And it's NOT like that." Sehun said before leaving Kai alone in the hallway for good. 

Kai looked around. He had unintentionally walked Sehun to class and now he wasn't sure of where he was. Bexstrom was too big of a school. Kai began to get anxious. His eyes darted around the hallway and his heart started racing. Kai didn't want to ask for help and look like a lost freshman but he couldn't even remember what way he came in. Kai just walked, trying to regain his cool demeanor and not panic. He kept walking until he hit a janitor's closet. 

Dead end.

"I wish Kris was here," Kai sighed, walking back to where he was before, while wringing his hands. He contemplating going back and pulling Sehun from his classroom to help him out when a hand gripped his shoulder.

"Hey, um could you help me?"

Kai jumped and turned around at the same time knocking a dozen paintbrushes and markers to the floor. He quickly scrambled to the floor to pick them up apologizing.

"I'm sorry I'm sorry, Mianhaey-yo." Kai uttered.

"Aw, it's no problem. Really." 

Kai's eyes slowly trailed up. The boy was struggling with a huge pad of paper and a bag overflowing with paints in tubes and other boxes. The boy smiled once he got a grip on his pad and reached for the paintbrushes Kai had gathered. Kai shakily handed over the brushes.

"Thank you..." The boy trailed off, waiting for Kai to offer his name, but of course Kai thought too slow and just nodded awkwardly. The boy narrowed his eyes in confusion but brushed it off just as quickly.

"Well, um, could you help me out? I'm trying to get to class and I wouldn't want to be a burden if you're busy but I decided to bring a little more than I could carry to class today. I'm so dumb. Freshman mistake, obviously huh?" He laughed, shaking his head in mock shame.

Kai was frozen to his spot trying to open his mouth to say... something but he would've sworn his mouth was locked shut. Kai could feel his heart slowly becoming a puddle in the middle of his chest. This boy was too cute. Kai's temperature was rising. He couldn't breathe. The boy noticed his lack of reaction and quickly apologized.

"I'm sorry for wasting your time. Thanks anyway."

"I'M KAI!" 

The boy jumped back, eyes agape, obviously shocked at such a loud introduction. In the process he dropped his paintbrushes again. Kai panicked and shuffled to pick them up for the second time. He didn't mean to scare the boy. Kai was mentally scolding himself. Now he's gonna think I'm creepy. Kai got up rubbing the nape of his neck. He had embarrassed himself in front of...

"Kyungsoo. I'm Do Kyungsoo." The boy said with a laugh and grabbing his paintbrushes again from Kai, "It's um, nice to meet you." Kyungsoo tried his best to put a hand out for Kai to shake but Kai's heart was racing too fast to even think about touching Kyungsoo's hand. Kai looked at his tiny hand and then back to Kyungsoo's face. He had fantasized about this moment for years. The moment that Kyungsoo and him would meet. Although in his head he thought they'd fall in love instantly and he'd propose and then they'd live happily ever after but this way already too much for him.

"I can h-help you... with your... things." Kai finally said in a calmer tone.

"Oh no, that's alright I understand if you have class to go to and--"

"I insist!" 

Kyungsoo quickly took off his bag and handed it to the twitching boy, raising a brow. Kai mentally facepalmed. This is his second weirdness strike and if he got one more strike he was sure he'd be out and there would be no chance of a happy life with Kyungsoo. That is, if he ever had a chance in the first place. Kai shook the thought from his mind and quickly tried to put on his "cool guy" routine.

"I-I'm a freshman t-too." Kai squeaked. 

Smooth.

So much for that 'cool guy' routine.

"Jungmalyo?" 

"N-neh."

"Well, that's a relief," Kyungsoo was hobbling up the steps with his pad of paper, "I feel a little less embarrassed now. Thank goodness I ran into you." 

Kyungsoo flashed Kai a wide smile.

And that was the last we saw of Kim Kai, may he rest in peace.

Kai clutched his chest and sighed. Finally the guy that he had a crush on since the first year of high school had smiled for him. His heart was soaring with glitter shooting out of it. It was amazing that he was even conscious right now, let alone walking carrying a semi-heavy bag of art supplies. At least he hadn't hit strike three while taking Kyungsoo to his class. His legs had carried him gracefully to  Kyungsoo's class without him even knowing he had arrived at the destination. Kyungsoo opened the door and wiggled inside before it closed. Kai on the other hand walked straight into it and fell back like a sack of potatoes.

"OH MY GOD!" Kyungsoo set his pad down and ran back to help Kai up. 

Kai felt like a bus was sitting on his face and his nose was running. He groaned thinking I knew I'd wake up from this dream pretty soon. Kai sat up unsteadily and rubbed his forehead, feeling another hand beneath his as he blinked into focus. Kyungsoo and a number of other people Kai didn't know were staring at him with worrisome eyes.

"Omo~ He's bleeding someone get a napkin!" A woman called.

"I'm so sorry, I'm sorry. I didn't know you didn't have the door. I wasn't think and um..." Kyungsoo pounded his head with the ball of his hands. Kai, finally coming to terms with what was going on swiftly stood up, wiping his nose on the back of his hand. He drowsily ran away as quick as his legs could carry him. Some people were calling after him but he ran too fast for them. By some miraculous event, he found his way out of the building and back to Jefferson Hall. Where he flopped in the bed as soon as he open his dorm's door and buried his face in the pillow, screaming in embarrassment. 

Strike three.


Author's Note: Hi everyone, I hope you're enjoying this so far. Let me tell you about chapter three. Well I used this to show more of Kai's point-of-view. Kai is... a weirdo, somewhat and I love him for that. He's so funny. Honestly I wish Kai fans were more like Himchan fans because Himchan fans KNOW how perfectly idiotic and cringe-worthy their bias is and I think of Kai that way. He's so funny. Well I also wanted to contrast how Kai is in front of Kris with how he is in front of Sehun and Kyungsoo. As you can see, Kai's quickly getting comfortable with Sehun and YAY FINALLY KYUNGSOO right? That's what you guys are thinking huh? Also, for reference purposes NEOPETS is an online game where you raise a pet and feed it (very brief and vague description) and the "you're in lesbians with math" is from the movie SCOTT PILGRIM vs. THE WORLD if you've seen that movie you'll get the reference if not, just think of lesbians as the word love. OMG this is becoming a not so brief author's note because I'm rambling. Sorry. I'll end this with KYUNGSOO IS A SQUISHY Y ANGEL BABY AND I WANT TO SQUEEZE HIM SO MUCH. Thanks for reading.=*CheeDragon.