Orientation.

Wallflowers.

Kris and Kai were standing in front of a long brown brick building. Kris's mother had just dropped them off at the undergraduate check-in and left just as fast. After walking around for thirty minutes straight, trying to look as if they knew where they were going they stopped and sat on their luggage. Kai opened his phone to check his email and Kris reread the paper that told them what dorm they were assigned to.

"Kris I thought you said you got this." Kai said adjusting his bangs. Kris stared at the flimsy printout map of the campus. He pulled out his glasses and read more closely.

"Just gimme a second okay. I swear it's supposed to be around here." He looked up squinting his eyes through his heavy framed glasses. The glasses slid down his nose and he just pushed them up with a finger. "Kai what's that building say?"

"Jefferson...Hall?" Kai nodded and looked back to Kris.

"Jefferson Hall?" Kris asked. Kai nodded again. "Kai, you ing idiot." Kris slapped him with the map printout.

"Wae?! Wae?! Why?" Kai said in between slaps. A couple of girls walked by and giggled at the scene. 

Two obvious freshmen, lost on campus.

Kris stopped hitting Kai and bowed as they passed by. Kai stood up nervously. 

"Hi, nice weather we're having eh?" He said. Kris facepalmed. Kai was attempting to be cool again. It never worked though. The girls rolled there eyes and laughed even louder. 

"That was smooth." Kris stated flatly.

"It's my first day gimme a break!" Kai pouted and returned to his phone to check his email.

Kris slapped him again. 

"Cut it out! What's that for?" Kai whined.

"You. You had us walking around for thirty minutes looking like idiots when we were right in front of the building the entire time!" Kris shouted. He pushed his glasses up.

"We're in Jefferson Hall?" Kai asked baffled.

"Neh, fool!"

"Oh... I thought we were in Johnson Hall." 

Kris put his fingers to the bridge of his nose, "I honestly don't understand how you got this far in life on your own. Must have had a lot of help from your mom..."

"Shikkeuro." Kai whined grabbing the handle on his luggage and pulling it towards Jefferson Hall, "I'm sure it's a common mistake."

~~~

Once inside the dorms, after decades of running in circles courtesy of Kai, everything was easy to find. They found there dorm room on the second floor near the ice and vending machines. Kris opened to door to a small room with two beds, two dressers and a bathroom on the left side. Kai ran and jumped on the bed to the right and Kris drug his luggage towards the bed on the left. Kris began to unpack.

"We're finally on our own Kris~" Kai sighed. Kai was laying on the bed with his arms spread out and his eyes closed.

"Yeah," Kris said disinterestedly. Kai peeked his eye open and peered at Kris who was placing his polos in the dresser. 

"Kris..." Kai called. Kris didn't respond he just kept placing clothing in the drawer robotically. Kai stood up and approached his friend rubbing his shoulders. He knew Kris was nervous, I mean come on, band camp makes some solid lifelong friends. Kris stopped putting the clothes in the drawers and sighed. All his life he had been around his parents. Same house, same neighborhood, same people. Now he was tossed out into this new world, with strangers and nothing was familar. Kris wasn't sure he was as ready for this as he made it seem this morning. Kai kept massaging his shoulders.

"I just got here and I'm already feeling homesick." Kris stated. 

"That's probably just because we don't have anything to do yet. Our minds have gotten a chance to root themselves in this new reality. Once we are fully conditioned to this situation, then we can emerge from the abstract of our minds and pursue more positive endeavours to contribute to our future in its entirety." 

Kris nodded, "I'd agree with that statement."

"Whoa~ You guys are weird." 

Kris and Kai jumped and glanced to the door. A guy around their height with tiny eyes and a blank face leaned against the doorway. His eyes were on Kai's hands, which were on Kris's shoulders. He raised his eyebrow.

"Are you guys... together?" He asked pointing back and forth between Kris and Kai. Kris shook Kai's hands from his shoulders and stood up. 

"It's not like that." Kris said rubbing the back of his neck and adjusting his glasses. Kai didn't know what to do with his hands after that and just placed them under his shirt like a burrowing gopher.

"Uh huh... You sure, because I mean, it's okay if you are I mean you wouldn't be the first and--"

"WHO ARE YOU?" Kai finally blurted out. The boy jumped and Kris facepalmed. Kai was having one of those verbal explosion moments, that typically came when he was overwhelmed in a conversation.

"W-whoa. Easy there. I'm Sehun. I live across the hall from you?" Sehun looked Kai up and down with his hands up for defense in case Kai attacked him. Kai looked as if somebody through cold water onto him... or blood, like Carrie in that movie.

"Please excuse my friend," Kris stepped in front of Kai and Sehun scooted back, "I am Kris. Sorry about that." Sehun looked Kris up and down suspiciously then put his hands down.

"Ok well... I just came to tell you guys that there's um... free food downstairs. All freshman eat free."

"FOOD?" Kai squealed behind Kris making both  Kris and Sehun jump. Kai raced out the door and then came back calmly. "I mean, Kris, would you care to partake in this free sustenance?" Kai bowed.  Sehun look apprehensive about Kai's next move but Kris just stared at him dully. 

"Maybe you could try being normal for one day of your life?" Kris rolled his eyes and stepped out the door with Kai bouncing happily in front of him. Sehun walked with them. Kris tried to make small talk on their way down the stairs.

"I'm sorry about my roommate. I would say he's not always like that... but he is. So I would be lying." 

Sehun laughed, "I guess I'll get used to it or avoid it, living across the hall from you guys." He shrugged putting his hands in his pockets. Kris smiled, he felt a little less nervous about college now that he was making friends.

 

They got downstairs and dipped straight into a crowd of people. Apparently brought freshmen out like moths to flames. Kai stopped bouncing around and latched arms with Kris.

"Kris this is a lot of people," He whispered. Kris shook Kai free of his arm eyes darting anxiously to his new friend Sehun.

"Kai come on you're embarassing me." Kris whispered back harshly to be heard over the noise. Sehun laughed and pretended to look at something else.

"Mian~ I just don't know what to do with my hands I'm freaking out here." Kai began to look over the tops of people's heads for the food. Kris turned Sehun, smiling nervously. 

"So Sehun, where's your roommate?" Kris asked.

"He should be around here, somewhere..." Sehun craned his neck to look around the crowd.

"Chincha? How does he look?" Kai asked.

"Umm he's pretty tall and he has long hair and huge eyes and a big smi--"

"Smile? Are you talking about me?" A booming voice said from behind them. 

Kris, Kai and Sehun turned around staring a the guy Sehun just described. He didn't look like a freshman. He looked comfortable. Kris instantly envied him.

"Umm yeah, Chanyeol these are the guys who stay across the hall from us Kris and Kai." Sehun said. Chanyeol looked at them and smiled.

"So I guess tall guy with a ponytail and huge eyes is a good description of me?" Chanyeol asked.

"You're hard to look over, Lanky Giant." Sehun replied. 

"You can call whatever you'd like actually." Chanyeol said leaning into Sehun's ear. Kris and Kai grimaced.

"And you talk about us!" Kai said. Sehun quickly pushed Chanyeol away. 

"He's just playing! We're just kidding." Sehun said trying to convince them.

"Mmhm ok... well we're going to go get something to eat now." Kris said inching away from the couple with Kai in tow.

"Good I was beginning to starve." Kai said with his tongue out of his mouth. 

A couple of girls pushed by Kris and Kai when they finally made their way to the food table. 

"Is this dorm co-ed?" Kai asked while stuffing bibimbap into his mouth and walking up the stairs at the same time.

"Honestly Kai, how does your brain even retain information?" Kris adjusted his glasses and went to open the door to the second floor.

"You could have just said yes or no. Instead of being a professional ." Kai mumbled. Kai walked through the door and bumped into another guy who was texting. Kai, being the food lover he is, dropped his chopsticks but managed to keep a good hand on his bibimbap. The guy looked up blindly and apologized quickly bowing. He was small, well small compared to Kris and Kai, and he had heavy bangs and a bright smile. He picked up Kai's chopsticks and placed them back in his hands then proceed down the steps. Kai bowed and walked towards their shared room. 

"Hey Kris didn't that guy look like Su... ho?" Kai turned around and Kris was no longer behind him. Kai looked around dumbly. He went back to the doorway where Kris was frozen stiff, in a trance looking down the steps. Kai waved his hands in front of Kris's face and Kris snapped out of his trance.

"Huh?" He asked adjusting his glasses yet again.

Kai smirked and walked away, "So, that was Suho wasn't it?" He said slyly making Kris's face flush and they entered the dorm.

"I didn't know he was going here too." Kris said under his breath as he fell against the door grasping his chest and staring dreamily at the wall.

 

What are the odds...

 


 

Author's Note: I wanted to use this chapter to not only introduce the characters but to also give you a feeling of how Kris and Kai are toghether and around other people. I hope you guys enjoy or comment telling me things you'd like to see in the future of a story like this. Kris and Kai live across the hall from Sehun and Chanyeol. Suho lives down the hall of course. Chapter one, finished. I hope this ties you off a bit. I do have a life outside of this website. haha. Anyway, hope you enjoy.=*CheeDragon.^^