Chapter Six: Those Who Had Suffered

Keeper of Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

••••

CHAPTERSIX

❝THOSEWHOHADSUFFERED❞

The red head sighed as he sat down at his desk. He leaned back in his chair, wondering how long it would take before the higher ups would realize that he has taken charge over the BEQP and gave the scientists a new order. Instead of injecting humans with certain chemicals and serums, the red head would rather have the scientist work on perfecting time traveling.

Sure, super soldiers would really benefit the country and better help the nation fight against outsiders, but at the rate the current war with Greywyn was going, South Hallow would lose. That's where super soldiers came in. If they had an army of super soldiers, they would win without a doubt. There was no way they could lose the war. They couldn’t afford that. No matter how long ago the previous war was, South Hallow could not lose again.

The country and its people were already suffering enough.

But… maybe losing the war is for the best?

If they lost, Greywyn would take over. It would be a new start for South Hallow and its citizens. Everyone could start anew. Women and children wouldn’t have to suffer anymore. Young men and fathers wouldn’t be taken from their homes and thrown onto the front lines.

People would stop being sacrifice for the sake of science.

The red haired man snorted at his train of thoughts. Who cared about South Hallow? Who cared about its people? Who cared about the war? Who cared about its past, present, and possible future?

The red head surely didn’t. All he cared about was finally achieving the ability to time travel. And not just time traveling a few minutes back in time or into the future. The red head wanted to go back far in time.

To the time where everything was peaceful. When all he needed was his family and friends. When he was actually looking forward to the future. Where there was no war going on.

When it was just Himchan and himself.

The read head reached across his desk and grasped the picture frame that was laid upon it. A soft smile formed on his face as his eyes fell upon a young man with blond hair. He caressed the picture as if he was touching the man himself.

He was doing it all for him.

He was doing it all for Himchan.

Every action, every move, every thought was wrapped around Himchan. Everything he was doing was all for him.

He promised himself that he would do everything in his power to bring him back. To go back in time and save Himchan.

His smile turned into a frowned as he eyed the other figure in the picture besides Himchan. An older boy, older than Himchan and himself–but only by a year–had his arms crossed, smiling at the camera. The man had red hair–the same shade as the man holding the picture–chubby cheeks and a beautiful eye smile.

It’s been six years since he had seen them both.

Six years since he had last held Himchan in his arms.

Six years since he had fought alongside the other red head when they were just cadets in the military.

Six years since the three of them got involved with YG.

...Six years since Himchan was killed.

He blamed the red head for everything. His so-called friend was the one who pulled the trigger.

“Yongguk, sir?” A voice pulled the red head out of his thoughts. He turned to the door and saw Daehyun leaning against the door frame. Said man frowned as he saw his boss holding the picture frame again.

That was the fifth time today he had caught Yongguk holding the frame.

“What do you want Daehyun?” Yongguk frowned, not liking to be interrupted when he was reflecting on the bitter past.

“Our contact called earlier. INFINITE has found one of the few remaining entrances into the BEQP that isn’t heavily guarded,” Daehyun walked further into the room.

“Which ones?”

“The underground tunnels.”

Yongguk gave an exasperated sighed. “I told YG that they needed to do something about the transit system.”

“Sir, I’m not too familiar with the tunnels and the transit system. Exactly where will they lead into the BEQP?”

“Directly into the underground labs,” Yongguk frowned, thinking of all of the possible outcomes that could happen if INFINITE got into the BEQP.

“Should we stop them?” Daehyun pulled his phone out of his pocket, waiting for Yongguk to tell him who to call to handle the resistance group.

“Yes. Who knows what they could do. Knowing that resistance leader… he’d do anything to destroy the laboratories and destroy all of the research and equipment. Have Tao and his boys handle them.” Daehyun nodded and immediately began calling said person.

Yongguk looked back to the picture frame in his hand. His grip on the object tightened as his thoughts went back to the bitter past.

He muttered, “I’m going to bring Himchan back no matter what.” He then glared at the red head in the picture. “Then I’m coming for you. I’ll make you and everyone you care for suffer for what you did.”

“What. Is. That?” Sungyeol peered at the plate of food in front of him. He took off his glasses, wiped them clean with his shirt, and placed them back on his face just to make sure the thing in front of him, Woohyun claimed, was food. He leaned closer to dish, sniffing the aroma that emitted from it. It didn’t smell that bad.

Sungjong was to his right with a look of pure fascination etched on his face while Hoya was to Sungyeol’s left. He was staring vacantly at meal.

Woohyun frowned, not appreciating the response he received. He work extra hard on the meal to impress the group of resistance members that could easily change their minds and kick Woohyun out, sending him straight to the police.

The four of them were currently in the kitchen of the headquarters.

“How are we supposed to eat this?” Sungjong asked, grabbing a fork. He stabbed the food, trying to get some onto the implement.

It didn’t work.

“Maybe you’re supposed to use a spoon?” Hoya offered. He picked up a spoon and attempted to scoop some of it onto the utensil.

The food slid right off.

“Is this even edible?” Sungyeol’s brows furrowed, looking to Woohyun, who was standing on the other side of the table, watching their response.

“Yes it’s edible!” Woohyun snapped. He walked over to the trio, pushing them out of the way. “It’s called spaghetti! And this is how you eat it–”

“Spaaaageti?”

“Spaghetti.”

“Saaaaagetti?”

“Spaghetti.”

“Spaaaa–”

“It’s spaghetti, damn it! SPA-GHE-TTI!” Woohyun huffed. “And this is how you eat it!” He grabbed the fork, jabbing the meal harshly. He spun the utensil a bit and then pulled away. He presented the fork with spaghetti wrapped around it to Sungyeol, Sungjong, and Hoya.

“Exactly what is spaghetti?” Sungjong asked, taking the fork away from Woohyun.

“It’s an Italian dish,” Woohyun didn’t feel like going into the details and origins of spaghetti. “When one makes spaghetti, they usually use noodles, tomato sauce, some herbs like oregano and basil, olive oil, parmesan cheese, and sometimes meat.” Sungyeol and Sungjong nodded like they actually knew what the older boy was talking about.

“But… uh,” Woohyun continued. “You guys barely had anything worth using, so it’s just noodles and something that looked like tomato sauce.” This was the best Woohyun could make with all the sparse supplies he had found.

Woohyun couldn’t believe there was no such thing as spaghetti in the future. How did that meal get erased from history? What was wrong with this world?

Sungjong stuffed the fork in his mouth, chewing and swallowing the substance. Sungyeol, Hoya, and Woohyun watched him closely, waiting for his reaction. Sungjong stared into space, trying to find the right words to describe the food.

It had a peculiar taste to it. Something was off about the flavor of the sauce, though. It just didn’t taste right.

He looked to Woohyun, “What did you use as the sauce?”

“Um,” Woohyun walked to the refrigerator, opening it. He pulled out a jar that had dark red liquid in it. “I used this. This was the only thing I could find that looked remotely like tomato sauce. However, this is much thicker th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter