Chapter 14

Kiss it and Make it Better

Chuseok was actually not too long ago...took the time off and went to Japan for a visit...hope you enjoy this chapter and my assumption of Chuseok in Korea (basically Thanksgiving)!

 

 

 

 

Chapter 14

 

 

Onew was excited.  It was Chuseok in Korea.  People all over the country were rushing about to get to see their families and spend time with those that they couldn't fit into their schedules during the rest of the year.

 

He was excited to show it to Lex the way that he knew it. 

 

Since traditionally couples visit the husband's parents during this holiday, the show decided to send Lex into the lion's den and they were filming the Lee family's Chuseok celebration. 

 

Onew was so happy.  Anytime he could go home and see his family he got excited, even if a camera had to tag along. 

 

But Lex had been quiet for the majority of the day.  Granted, with the sheer amount and speed of Korean language flying around her she was holding up pretty well.  A smile still covered her face, but her eyes didn’t have the sparkle than Onew had been anticipating. 

 

Chuseuk was his favorite holiday.  He had been expecting for her to enjoy meeting his family and the experience of a family holiday in Korea.  He had expected her to love it just as much as he did.  But it didn’t seem like she was connecting with it in the way that he had hoped. 

 

After the meal Lex had excused herself to the restroom.

 

Ten minutes later he was struck by the realization that she had been gone for too long.

 

Onew moved to go check on her and was walking past the kitchen when he heard voices from within. 

 

It was his mother, standing with a comforting hand on Lex’s shoulder.  Lex stood leaning against the counter, her arms crossed almost protectively in front of her.

 

“I’m sorry,” Lex whispered, whipping a lone tear away as quickly as it formed.  “I don’t know why I’m acting like this…”

 

“You miss your own family.  Seeing Jinki’s just reminded you of how far away they really are.”  Onew recognized the tone of voice as the one his mother would use when he had woken up with a nightmare as a child.  It exuded calm and caring and had always helped make Onew find himself again. 

 

The realization of why Lex had been out of it today suddenly clicked into place.  The reason Onew so loved this holiday, was the chance it gave him to reconnect with his family and see everyone again.  But Lex’s family all lived on another continent.  Not only was it difficult to see them, but she couldn’t even call them whenever she wanted like Onew could.  She had to plan out times far in advance and either pay through the nose or hope that the internet connection doesn’t slow to the point of dropping her call.  Add in her erratic schedule and how frequently it would fluctuate because of sudden changes in a show’s schedule or problems on set elongating a shoot. 

 

She said that since she had starting appearing on shows she had only been able to talk to her family once every few weeks and had missed more than a few planned calls because of an unanticipated late schedule. 

 

It only hit Onew just now how lonely it would make Lex feel to be surrounded by someone else’s family when she was so distant and separated from her own that she cared so deeply for. 

 

Onew had forgotten that cameras were following them, until he heard the shifting plastic and fabric as the cameraman next to him put took his camera down off of his shoulder and held it at his side. 

 

“Guess I need to change tapes…” he said softly and walked away to go out to the car waiting down on the street after giving Onew a knowing look and jerking his head towards the kitchen. 

 

Onew realized that his mother was looking at him where he stood in the doorway, but Lex hadn’t realized he was there yet. 

 

Onew cleared his throat and walked in, “Hey mom, everyone’s wondering where you went…” he trailed off.

 

“Oh of course,” she said, giving Lex’s shoulder one last squeeze before leaving the two alone in the kitchen. 

 

Onew walked over slowly and leaned against the counter next to Lex.  Her cheeks were flushed pink with embarrassment and her hands clenched a little tighter around her arms. 

 

“You alright?” he asked softly, holding his own hands in front of his body, hanging down by his belt buckle. 

 

“I’m fine,” she said – just a little too quickly.

 

“Which is what you tell everyone else…” Onew ducked his head and caught a glimpse of Lex’s eyes before she jerked her head away to face the other side of the kitchen.  They were somehow both startled and vacant at the same time.   

 

“Come on Lex…even the cameramen don’t want to film you right now…this isn’t going out to all of Korea…this stays here…in this kitchen…”  He gently bumped his shoulder into Lex’s, trying to be comforting but not able to bring himself to grab her hand or put an arm around her shoulder until he knew what was up.

 

Lex sighed and finally let go of her arm to run her hand through her hair.  “I feel so bad – I didn’t want to bring anything down.”

 

“I don’t think anyone really noticed…and they’ll cut the scenes together so that no one even knows.  It’s in the show’s interest to show the entertaining things we do…”

 

Lex rolled her eyes and finally focused on Onew.  “Screw the show, I just feel like I’m making your mother feel bad.  She’s been nothing buy wonderful since I walked through that door and my mind is so mixed up lately that I can’t focus and I think that she thinks she’s done something wrong.” 

 

“She doesn’t.  She wouldn’t have been in here trying to comfort you if she had.”  Onew glanced up at the ceiling before cocking his head towards Lex again, “You’ve been spacey for a while now."  That was true.  Lex had been out of it for a while.  Her mind would travel and she would have to ask for things to be repeated more than once.  She'd even been late to set without calling which was something that she never did.  She was almost never late period, but she always called ahead to warn the PDs.  "What’s going on?”

 

She shook her head, “Just…some things from my past are coming back…missing my family…” she shook her head, “I’ve been thinking about a lot of things lately and it’s just made it hard to focus on anything going on around me.” 

 

“Are you alright?”  Onew was concerned, “Do you need any  help?”

 

Lex smiled a little, and Onew was glad to see it.  “I’m fine.”  She reached over and patter Onew’s clasped hands, “It’s sweet of you to ask and to offer.  You’re too nice to me.” 

 

Onew shrugged, a blush starting to form.  “I just want to know you’re okay.”

 

She pushed away from the counter, “Don’t worry too much about me Jinki.  Besides, I’m older than you – I’m supposed to take care of you.”

 

She walked out to rejoin the group but Onew remained for a moment. 

 

She seemed better than she had been, but he was still worried.  Something was going on – and he wanted to know what.  He just didn’t want to see Lex hurt.  He cared for her too much to allow that.