Chapter 12

Kiss it and Make it Better

Chapter 12

 

 

Onew took Lex home that night, and cooked her dinner.

 

She really was an emotional mess after her earlier outburst.  She sat on her couch, clutching the hot chocolate that Onew had made her without drinking it. 

 

He heated up some of the leftovers in her fridge and they both just sat down on the couch and watched a movie on one of the English language channels.  They made idle conversation throughout, talking about the plot and all the holes they found in it.  A few hours later as the movie was wrapping up, Onew almost thought he saw a hint of her smile again.  It was gone a moment later, but it made Onew happy just the same.

 

Lex walked him to the door.  “Thanks…I didn’t mean to have a breakdown on you.” She spoke softly with the air of someone in a library.  She was leaning on the open door, almost looking like it was the only thing holding her up, but somehow she didn’t look fragile.  She looked tired, but capable. 

 

Onew had always thought of Lex as strong, and she really was, the fact that she was still talking to him after what he had caused proved that she had a strong core that refused to be broken. 

 

“I didn’t mean to cause one.” He looked at his feet.

 

“I don’t think you caused it, I think it’s been sitting there waiting…you just happened to be there.”  She looked sad again and Onew wanted desperately to make her smile again, but he knew that it would just not happen tonight.

 

“Goodnight Lex.” He said instead, “Call me if you need anything.  I’ll be there in a heartbeat.  I promise.”

 

“Good,” she said, “you owe me for Itaewon.”  That little sparkle was starting to creep back into her eyes.

 

Onew smiled, this time reaching his eyes, “Too right I do.”

 

“Goodnight Onew, stay safe getting home.”

 

“I will.” 

 

He waited a moment more, just taking in her appearance for a moment.  But then he nodded and turned, walking slowly down the hallway.

 

*****

 

The next time Onew saw Lex on set she was her normal self, no one would have known that anything had happened between them.  She was treated him just like she always did.  Which was mildly irksome, if only because in his heart and mind, his place in her life was still in a status of limbo with him not knowing if she would never want to see him or if she was just not ready yet.

 

Onew just wanted to know if he stood a chance.  But after last time, he didn’t know how to say anything about it.  So he just fell back on his normal manner with her and the show. 

 

So it came as a surprise, a delightfully happy surprise, when Lex started moving in on him.  

 

It started out as little things that he didn’t even notice at first because they seemed to be a part of the show.  She would grab his hand while they were walking, running her thumb gently over his skin.  But the she wouldn’t let go while they were changing tapes or anything.

 

She was cuddling closer into him as the weather started changing with fall arriving in earnest now. 

 

And then he noticed a slight change to her smile, as though she had a secret, and it was a part of the smile that she would only share with him. 

 

When Onew realized what was happening, he literally jumped in the air and whooped, much to the surprise of the other SHINee members who had just been sitting around the apartment when their silent leader suddenly leapt to his feet and cheered. 

 

And then Lex asked Onew out.

 

“On a date…a real one…”  Her blush was mad, spreading from not only her cheeks, but over her entire face, onto her ears and even down her neck, disappearing into the neckline of her shirt. 

 

Onew smiled and pulled Lex into a crushing hug. 

 

“The only thing keeping me from squealing like a girl right now is that I want you to think that I’m manly.”  He whispered into her ear.

 

She busted out laughing, clutching at Onew’s arms just to remain upright.  “Oh man…” she panted, wiping away a tear, “it’ll be an interesting night…”

 

Onew picked her up, no matter that she asked him out, he wanted to be the ‘man’ about the date, and took her out for dinner.  He had feared that it might become awkward with the sudden addition of real romance to their relationship, but it seemed to come naturally when after the first few moments of silence Onew announced, “This is stupid, let’s just be us.”

 

To which, Lex had responded, “Oh thank God…”

 

They would go see movies, hang out at each other’s places and everything.

 

She was even called into the board of SM to have a meeting about dating one of their idols, after Onew had let his manager in on the secret, knowing that it would be impossible to keep it from the man who controlled his schedule. 

 

“What did they say in there anyway?”  Onew asked as they walked around the park.  It was surprising how easy it was to fit in with no make-up and normal clothing, of course the hoods were up to shield their faces and they didn’t go to heavily trafficked areas.

 

“Basically, to remember that if we’re found out, anything that affects my image will affect yours as well, so to please be careful with what I do and say.”

 

Onew snorted, “Because we couldn’t have figured that out on our own.”

 

“I know right?!” She turned her smile towards him again and Onew couldn’t help the chills that rushed up his spine.

 

There relationship just flowed like that.  Taking the time to call when they couldn’t see each other, and to message when they couldn’t call.  It wasn’t going to be the thing of legends, at least not if they could help it.  It was perfectly ordinary, and they liked it like that thank you very much.