Chapter 2

Wrong Focus.

A few months passed, Jimin is now my best friend. My male best friend? Minhyuk. We never run out of topic, even if we do, the silence between us is comfortable. He was always there whenever I’m sad or whenever I’m happy. It’s like he’s my mood detector, or something more than that. He’d always be able to find me, wherever I’m at. At some point of time, I thought he was my guardian angel. On the other hand, Gikwang? He’s still the one I look for when I step into class every day. His smile just brightens up my day. However, I kinda distant myself with him after Jimin confessed to me that she likes him. I’m trying hard not to get in between them. I don’t want my best friend to be hurt, especially because of me.

 

Minhyuk’s House

“Do you think they’ll get together?” I shot the question while lying on the sofa.

“What? Who are you referring to?” He asked back. 

“Gikwang and Jimin,” I answered.

“You like Gikwang, right?” His question caught me by surprise.

“Ya, I’m asking if they’ll get together, why change the topic?” I quickly retorted.

“Do you want to be with me then?” He continued asking.

“Ya, Lee Minhyuk, what are you talking about now?” I replied while giving him a death glare.

He gave in and said, “Nope, they won’t be getting together any time soon, for all I know.”

“Oh? Wh-”

“Because he doesn’t like her,” he answered before I finished my sentence. “Can you please answer my questions now.”

“What questions?” I asked back feeling puzzled.

“Do you like Gikwang?” I look down before he continued, “Or do you wanna be with me?”

“Ha..ha.. Ya, you, a-are you c-confessing now?” I stuttered.

“What do you think?” He spoke as he sat beside me.

I looked at him in the eyes and noticed that he wanted a definite answer. I looked away.

“You know, honestly, I’ve never thought of you more than a best friend before,” I admitted, “he was the first guy I noticed ever since orientation day, and have ever since been the only one. I’m sor-”

I heard laughter before I could finish what I wanted to say. I turned to him and saw him with his mouth open wide.

“Ya, I couldn’t believe that you took it seriously,” he continued laughing, “and most importantly, I know another secret of yours now,” he winked.

“. Lee Minhyuk!!!” I screamed at the top of my lungs and chased him around the house.

Our energy level soon depleted and he sat on the sofa while I rested my head on his lap.

“Jaeun-ah,” he spoke solemnly.

“Yes?” I replied softly, due to the tiredness. Boy, we sure know how to fight till the end.

“Don’t worry, your secrets are safe with me, all of them,” he assured me.

“I know that, that’s why you’re my best friend and will always be,” I looked at him and smiled.

Before I knew it, I fell asleep.

“But what if I don’t want to be your best friend only? What if what I told you just now were all true? What if I wasn’t lying? What if I wanted to be your boyfriend?” he continued asking although he knew that I was asleep.

“You’ll never realize that because all you have in your eyes is him...”