Chapter 5

Wrong Focus.

“Woah, what a nice smell. The neighbours must be cooking.” I said as I woke up.

I looked at the clock, 10:30am. I went to wash up, walked to the kitchen and was surprised at what I saw.

“OH? Ya, Lee Minhyuk, why are you here?” I asked as I saw him.

Then I realized all the food on the dining table, “WOAH, DID YOU PREPARE ALL THESE YOURSELF? REALLY?”

“Why? Do you think that I can’t cook?” He replied.

“Huh, yeah. I thought you were someone who only knew how to eat,” I answered while I poured maple syrup on the pancakes.

“Tsk. This will be the first and last time I’ll be cooking for you then,” he said after hearing my sarcastic reply.

“Ya, why?!?!?!?!?! Noooooooo! This is the first, but definitely not last!” I argued as I showed my puppy eyes to him, “but why are you here?”

He sighed as he answered, “you were the one that asked why were you the one who always went to my house last night, remember? So here I am, making breakfast for my beloved best friend.”

I pecked his cheek after hearing that, and smiled, “thanks best friend.”

“Ya, are you blushing?” My laughter followed after I completed my sentence.

“W-wh-what? Ya, don’t be flattered, it’s not because of you. I-I just haven’t been kissed by a female since ages,” he replied.

“I know. Me too,” I responded calmly and smiled to him.

We finished our breakfast--lunch, washed the plates and sat on the sofa, lazing.

“So, what’d you wanna do today?” He asked.

“I don’t know. Hmm, shall we do some baking today?” I replied excitedly.

“Seriously? But, can you bake? I don’t wanna end up doing everything,” he retorted.

“Ya, are you looking down on me now? I can bake, and I’m better than you at it,” I smirked.

“You sure?” He asked, not trusting my words.

“100%! Let’s go to the nearby mart to get some ingredients. Wait here while I go change,” I smiled.

And so we went to the mart and got everything we needed before heading back.

“Yay, we’re ready, let’s start!” I cheered.

After what seemed like ages, we were finally waiting for the cupcakes to be ready. If it wasn’t for him distracting me every time I added the ingredients and colouring, we could’ve been eating them now. While waiting, I suddenly had something in mind.

“Ya, Lee Minhyuk, look here,” I said unhappily, while tapping my feet.

“What, wha-” A large amount of flour landed on his face, and I laughed like no tomorrow.

“YA, what did you just do?!” He screamed. Sigh, he still loves his face more than anything.

“What? Flour is good for your face,” I struggled to complete the sentence while laughing.

“Ya, do you really want this?” He asked sneakily.

“What?” I asked in confusion.

“This,” he smiled and poured the whole bowl of flour on my head.

“YA, UNFAIR. I didn’t pour that much on you,” I retorted and took the remaining amount of flour on my head to his.

We continued playing like that, taking anything in sight and pouring on each other, laughter and chuckles filling the air, until the doorbell rang.

“Uh? He’s here,” I skipped to the door to open it.

“Annyeo- Woah, what happened in there just now?” Gikwang asked with a shocked face.

“Huh?” I replied in confusion before looking at the mirror beside the shoe cabinet.

“OMO. What happened to me?!” I asked myself.

I screamed, “YA LEE MINHYUK, YOU’RE GONNA GET IT.”

“Ya, I’m as messed up as you are, so shut up,” Minhyuk answered.

“Oh, come on in!” I smiled sheepishly as I signaled Gikwang in.

“You’re here?” Minhyuk greeted Gikwang as he took the cupcakes out to the living room.

“You too? You guys really did have a war in there huh,” Gikwang commented after seeing Minhyuk in the same state as I was.

“Don’t even talk about it,” Minhyuk rolled his eyes.

“Wah, smells delicious, must be delicious too!” I said excitedly after seeing the cupcakes, “c’mon, let’s eat!”

“Woah, not bad. You guys should open a bakery,” Gikwang complimented after taking a bite.

“Really? Thanks!” I responded.

“No, we can’t do that. Do you wanna see the mess in the kitchen? I can’t imagine cleaning up every single day, and you, come in to clean up after eating,” Minhyuk said as he left for the kitchen.

“Why does he always dampen the mood? Aish,” I cursed.

“Hey, you know what? I think you should help to clean up the kitchen then clean yourself,” Gikwang spoke.

“Uh?” I looked down at myself then remembered what I saw in the mirror, “Oh, right! I look horrible now, sorry!”

Gikwang laughed, “no, no, don’t get the wrong idea. I’m just thinking of bringing you out for dinner later, you don’t plan on going out like that, do you?

“Of course not! Alright, enjoy eating, I’ll go help Minhyuk clean up,” I replied and smiled before leaving the living room.

“Ya, you still call yourself a best friend?” Minhyuk asked as soon as I went in.

“What? I’m helping you clean up now, isn’t it enough?” I replied.

“I’m not talking about this. You invited Gikwang here without telling me in advance and then you didn’t invite Jimin? What a good friend you are,” he said sarcastically.

“Ya, fine, firstly I’m sorry for not telling you in advance, but why do I have to? This is my house, not yours. I have the right to invite anyone here. Wait, why am I even apologizing? Forget it. Secondly, I DID invite Jimin, but she couldn’t make it because she has something on. I’m not that kind of person, you know? I thought you knew, but seems like I’m wrong. I didn’t know that you thought of me that way,” I answered and looked at Minhyuk, I realized he stopped what he was doing. I thought he knew that he was in the wrong, but I was wrong.

Instead of apologizing, he just kept quiet, so I continued, “ya, I really don’t know what’s wrong with you these few days, it’s like you changed all of the sudden overnight. You haven’t been this cold to me before. You used to be someone I could trust and count on, and I really did not expect that someone to think of me that way. You got tired of me, of our friendship, right? You’re bored of me already, am I wrong? Ha, Lee Minhyuk, you could’ve told me straight in the face instead of doing all these . To think I thought you sincerely felt happy just now while we were having a flour-war, because I did, but I guess not. Best friends need a break period too, huh? I thought only relationships need those. Anyway, let’s just look for each other when we’re both feeling better, or when you miss being bored of me,” I was on the verge of tears, but I managed to hold it back and finish what I wanted to say.

However, after I left the kitchen, tears were rolling down my cheeks. Gikwang saw it and ran to my side.

“Hey, are you alright?” He asked with a concerned face.

“U-uh? Yeah, I guess,” I managed to choke the words out.

Then I felt a pair of arms hugging me, which made me cried even more.

“Hush, don’t cry anymore,” I heard Gikwang’s husky but gentle voice.

I immediately backed away, “y-ya, I’m gonna dirty your clothes.”

“It’s okay,” he said as he gave me an assuring smile.

“No, wait here while I go wash up. We’ll head out for dinner after that,” I smiled.