Project Day 1

Guardian of an Obnoxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Warning: Long Chapter ahead and a SURPRISE! 

A dropping of an object snapped Luhan out of his long thoughts. He saw that you were staring blankly at the floor where you had dropped your chalk. Your face looked disturbed and your expression was lost and apprehensive.

“Hey Ah Ri…” He cleared his throat. “Need some help?”

“No thanks.” You shook your head and jumped down. “You ok? You were spacing out just now.”

“I’m fine.” He smiled dashingly. He’ll take it that you were worrying about him. “Why do you have to write that?” He pointed to the board behind you.

“Beats me.” You shrugged. “Teacher’s order.”

Don’t you remember anything at all? Luhan sulked disappointingly. He walked up to you and stared at the chalkboard. At least her handwriting hasn’t changed.

“I promise I will do better in school.” He read out loud. “You promise?” He raised an eyebrow at you.

You chuckled. “Let me just finish this up and we can get going.” You continued to fill up the spot that was left on the board as your mind recalled those vivid images you saw a moment ago. You felt conflicted, yet confused at the same time. It was like déjà vu—as if you’ve been through this before.

M-Maybe I’m just thinking too much.

You tried to ignore it, but you couldn’t stop your heart from beating at an abnormal pace. Those sudden and unclear depictions felt too real. You shut your eyes to see if they would come back, but nothing appeared. Was your mind playing tricks on you?

No…it was definitely real.

Luhan instantly cupped your face with his hands, catching you off guard. Your cheeks were a lot warmer than average. “You don’t look too well…” He whispered softly, his eyes scanned your face worriedly.

You abruptly pulled back causing your body to jam right into the side a shelf. The books that were stacked on top came crashing down and toppled onto you.

“Ah Ri!” Luhan ran to your side right away. He held you by the arm and carefully helped you up. “Damnit! Why the hell are you so jumpy?” The tone of his voice was clearly unhappy. Was his small interaction such a huge impact on you to cause you to react this way?

He couldn’t even touch you…and he hated that.

Wincing, you placed a hand over the growing bump on your forehead. “That was my fault. I stepped on my shoelace.” You forced a small laugh and looked down at your untied laces.

“Not funny.” Luhan scowled, but he was more upset that you were now left with a bruise because of him. He swiftly bent down to tie your shoelaces for you as if it was a normal thing for him to do. He then placed the fallen books back on the shelf.

“I don’t think we have time to use the library anymore. It closes in thirty minutes.” You looked at the clock.

“That’s ok.” He smiled at you. “We could go to my place to work on it.”

“W-What?” Your eyes widened.

“My place.” Luhan repeated. “It has all the sources we’ll need.”

“Um…” You looked away unsure and he slyly smirked.

“My fridge also has every ice cream flavor you could possibly find.” He winked at you. A little bribery wouldn’t hurt.

“I-I don’t think that’s a good idea.” You rubbed the back of your neck when you thought about your human boy’s reaction. Kai would definitely kill me.

“Don’t you trust me?” Luhan’s eyes softened. Come on Minah…this could really help you move forward.

A long silence filled the classroom. Trust was the last thing on your mind, but it was impossible to deny that Luhan was only being sincere. Your heart told you so.  

“Um…I-I guess we could…” You scratched your head. For the second time that day you had agreed with Luhan and you regrettably wished you hadn’t.

“Good.”  Luhan grinned in satisfaction. “Let’s get going then.”

Shiet, I’m not sure about this. You picked up your backpack and swung it around one side of your shoulders and hesitated for a second. You wanted to back out, but Luhan was staring at you so sweetly that your voice just disappeared. Why was seeing him happy gave you all the right reasons to not disappoint him any further?

I suppose the sooner we start on it the sooner we’ll be done. When you both walked out of the room, you were greeted by a figure that did not appear too thrilled. Luhan instantly stood in front you, blocking you with his body.

“K-Kai.” You gulped and staggered back. The hard stare he sent your way made your shoulders droop.

Why am I suddenly so afraid?!

Seeing Luhan with you was what angered him. “Why are you with him?” He asked you in the calmest voice possible.  

“We’re partners for a project…” You explained. “We only have a few days to work on it. I’ll be home later, so you can go without me.”

Luhan rolled his eyes. Was it necessary for you to clarify your whereabouts to him? “Come on Ah Ri. You don’t have to explain anything.” He grabbed your hand.

 Kai instantly pulled you away to the side. “Where do you think you’re going with him?”

“To work on our project….at his place.” You answered truthfully. “Only for a little while.” You added quickly when Kai’s eyes darkened.

“No.”

“What?”

“I said no.” He repeated coldly.

 Why is this being so controlling?! He has no right to act like he’s my guardian! You stared up at him in annoyance. Just because he was a lot bigger than you doesn’t mean you have to listen to him. In any case, you were basically older than him.

“Kai, it’s my final project for history. If I don’t do it, I won’t pass…”  

“It doesn’t matter if you pass or not.” There was no way he was allowing you to go with the enemy. “Don’t do the project.”

“But I want to pass….” The sadness in your voice came out a bit overpowering. You didn’t mean to sound so pitiful, but it was actually working. “I want to complete my work like everyone else. I want to be normal.”

“You are normal…” Kai brushed your fringe away from your eyes. He tried to stay angry, but he couldn’t. How could he when you were practically pleading him.

“Then it’s okay for me to go right?” You were hopeful for his trust in you and you didn’t know why. As a matter of fact, you needn’t to ask permission from your human. You had every right to do whatever you pleased to.

 Still, you didn’t want to hurt him the way he had hurt you.

Kai looked down at you for a long while. He was undeniably hesitant and hated the idea that you and Luhan were partners. That meant being together; alone and just the two of you. He knew he was acting selfish and possessive, but you belonged to him in a way that no one else had the right to come in between. Something inside him told him that he could lose you if Luhan was around.

It wasn’t you he didn’t believe in. It was Luhan that he just couldn’t trust.

“Fine.” Kai sighed.

What in the world made him change his mind? It was probably the fact that he didn’t want you to distant yourself from him anymore than you already had in the past week. He’s done so many bad things to you that maybe if he loosened up a bit, things between you two would be the same again.

You saw how Kai’s hard expression changed instantly and replaced with uncertainty. He continued to look down at you as though he something to say, but instead, placed his fingers over the small bump on your forehead.

“What happened here?” He asked you in concern.

“Ah…” You covered it with your hand quickly. “Nothing. I bumped into something.”

“Idiot…” Kai scorned at your clumsiness. He then averted his gaze over to Luhan who only sent back a smirk. Damn that .  

“Ok…I have to get going.” You said impatiently when Kai kept his eyes on the boy behind you for far too long.

“You have until 8:30.” Kai strictly stated.

“But I—”

“8:30.” He repeated. “I’m coming to get you if you’re not out of that house by then.”

You sighed, shaking your head in irritation. “Yeah…fine…whatever. Bye…”

“Don’t worry.” Luhan walked up beside you and gave Kai a devious smile. “I’ll take good care of her.”

The provoked boy instantly grabbed onto Luhan’s jacket and stepped exceptionally close to him. “You...touch her and I’ll tear you apart.” Kai hissed. “.”

“No…no.” Luhan shook his head sarcastically. “Call me hyung.”

Kai pushed him backwards and fought hard not to punch him in the face. You frowned at the two before walking towards the exiting doors. You’re both s. You thought to yourself. How could they hate each other when they have so much in common?  

 

Whoa. Your mouth fell slightly agape as you scanned Luhan’s grand mansion. It was so clean, so sparkly that you were afraid stepping on the marble floor would ruin it completely. Every piece of furniture and home décor probably cost more than your own life. It reminded you of Kai’s house a lot.

 As you followed Luhan inside, the well mannered servants instantly greeted you both with a ninety degree bow. “He-Hello.” You bowed back.

 Luhan smiled at your awkwardness and slightly pushed you ahead of him. He noticed you were trying not to touch anything by the way you had your arms glued to your sides. “Nothing here is valuable as you think.” He said from behind you. “Relax…”

Your eyes landed on a beautiful porcelain pot on a stand next to the stairwell. Sure they’re not.

“Upstairs.” Luhan guided you. “We’re going to the study room.”

Honestly, it was more like a library in your eyes. The study room was bigger than the classrooms at school and the walls had built in book shelves with all sorts of books organized neatly from top to bottom. The room provided every piece of furniture you could possibly think of. The glass door that led out to a gigantic balcony even gave you a perfect view of the city lights.

Goddamn…

“You could put your things on the table.” The smiling boy pointed. “I’ll go grab a laptop and some other stuff first.” He said before leaving you alone to admire the room some more.

You walked up to the bookshelves and started looking at the various book collections that was there. You carefully traced your fingers over some really old scholarly manuscript and important documents that you dare not to take out of its place. Moving slowly through, you saw a section on the far end of the bookshelf that had folders and binders carelessly strewn on top. You thought it was odd how they were so out of place compared to everything else.

As you decided to at least position them against the bookends, you began to look through it. You realized the folders consisted of Luhan’s old assignments from school dating back years ago. They were mainly math quizzes and tests that had several missed problems. Beside each of them were the right answers solved in red ink. You quickly flipped through the papers and noticed how all of the corrections were done by the same hand writing. Each math assignment had doodling, little side notes, and quotes with happy faces.

Who even keeps old assignments anyways? What a weirdo.

You put it to the side and picked up a black binder. When you opened it, several little sticky notes went flying out of it, scattering all over the carpet. “Crap…” You hissed as you squatted down to pick them up. You paused when you saw that they weren’t just ordinary note-taking sticky notes. Every one of them was filled with annotations and cute little drawings. Each note contained two different hand writings written in two colors.

Like a silent conversation.

You recognized at once that one of the handwritings belonged to the same person who corrected all of Luhan’s math assignments too. While you tried to gather them up quickly before he came back, you couldn’t help, but read them. 

“Thanks for helping me with my math homework.”

“No problem.”

You picked up another.

 

“So when will I hear you talk?”

“Why?”

“Because I want to prove a point.”

One by one, you read each of them. You didn’t know why you felt so connected and drawn to this, but it seems as though you were taken back into time. You felt your chest tighten and anxiousness growing within you with every note you read. You paused and scanned the room once more when everything about this place suddenly seemed so familiar to you.

 

“Why are you always hiding?”

“I’m not hiding.”

“Then why can’t I ever find you?”

“Why do you look for me?”

 “Wait for me tomorrow morning. Ok?”

“I don’t want to.”

“You’re cruel.”

“I know.”

 

“I want you to say my name…”

“Luhan…”

“I want to hear your voice.”

 

“What are you doing?”

You jumped and nearly dropped everything back onto the floor. You twirled around coming face to face with Luhan. His expression was dark and cold. His eyes bored deep into you as if he could tear you up for invading his privacy. You bit the inside of your lip in guilt as you knew your curiosity has gotten the better of you.

“I…I…this…” You looked down at the sticky notes and binder in your trembling hands. You didn’t mean to look through his things. It was the gut feeling you were having that made you do it. You weren’t a thoughtless type of person. Even so, you felt horrible.

 What was I thinking? This is wrong…

Luhan sauntered up to you and you immediately back up against the book shelf behind you. You held in your breath, not realizing that you were crushing the sticky notes with your hands in the process. He then raised his hand to your head and you flinched, bracing yourself for a hard slap that never came.

Instead, Luhan reached above you and pulled down a large history book. He looked down at you; his cold eyes turned warm and dewy at once when he noticed how guilty you looked. What did you take him for? You actually thought he was going to hit you? Silly girl. It just surprised him to find you looking through his things, but he would never hurt you or get angry over something like this.

“Here…” He handed the book to you with a small smile. “Want to trade?” He signaled to the binder in your left hand.

You wasted no time and quickly gave him back his things before grabbing the history book. “Sorry…” You muttered when you placed the wrinkled notes into his hands. You thought he was going to explode and go off on you, but you were wrong. Luhan was calmer than you thought. Maybe you shouldn’t have judged him because you were really starting to see him as a good person.

Don’t be scared of him anymore. Your brain told you over and over again, yet your heart was still being such a coward.

“Which country should we research on?” Luhan asked as he put away his binder. When you weren’t looking, he swiftly grabbed your notebook that you had lost a few months ago and put it in between a pile of o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter