Alone

Guardian of an Obnoxious
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

This chapter is BEYOND long and I have no idea why I didn't cut it in half. Sorry....

 

You kept a considerable distant from Luhan as he played with the kids. There were so many questions running through your mind right now. You weren’t sure what to believe and who exactly Luhan was. You met him as a cold and mysterious person, but then you see this side of him and you’re not sure what to think anymore.

“He’s been coming here for over a year now.” Sunny interrupted your thoughts as if she knew what you were wondering. She stood next to you and smiled at them. “He would come just to play with the kids and bring them food or toys. He loves them so much.”

“I didn’t know…” You whispered. “That’s really nice of him.”

“He hasn’t been here as often as he used to though…” Her face saddened. “Every now and then he’ll show up just to see how they’re doing, but this place probably brings him back too many memories.”

You turned to look at her confusedly. “Memories?”

“Oh it’s nothing!” She laughed and swatted her hand in the air. You weren’t convinced, but didn’t ask her another time.

“You two must be close?” She changed the topic.

“Uh…” You hesitated. “Not really…no.”

“Why not? Don’t you both attend the same school? He’s really a good guy, you know.”

You chuckled nervously and ran your fingers through your hair. Well I’ve been avoiding him too much to let that happen. Honestly, you never thought Luhan was a bad person at all. It was your gut feeling that kept you away from him. The pain you used to receive when you were near him was what distanced you both. Now, you were just beginning to warm up to him.

Only a little…just a little.

Deep down inside, seeing and being around Luhan still scared you. You always became uneasy and you couldn’t control how your heart ached whenever he was close to you. It was so hard to understand yourself sometimes. You weren’t sure what the truth was telling you; you couldn’t see anything clearly.

The problem isn’t Luhan. It’s me. I’m just a coward…too afraid to open up to the world. I’m really not meant to be a human. Trust is the hardest thing for me to overcome. I can’t trust…

“You should tell the kids goodnight before leaving. Dong Woong will ask for you first thing tomorrow morning.” Sunny nudged you lightly. “It gets dark a lot sooner now so I’ll let you go home earlier.”

“Thanks.” You smiled sincerely.

When she left, you went over to the play area. You began picking up the scattered toys to place them back in the toy box. Your mind drifted off to the incident that occurred at school and how Kai turned his back on you. You suddenly didn’t feel like going ‘home’ anymore.

There is no home for me to go to. Home is a place you should feel welcome. It should be warm and comforting and you shouldn’t be afraid of being alone.

But I am alone.

“I guess we’re going to see each other a lot now.” Luhan’s voice brought you back to reality. You turned around only to realize he was standing too close to you. At an impulse, you staggered backwards and almost tripped over the box of toys behind you.

Luhan grabbed your arm at once and pulled you towards him to prevent you from falling. His other arm was wrapped securely around your waste as he slyly pressed you against his body.

You pushed him off too soon before he could savor the moment. He laughed to himself when he saw how flushed you were. You blew at your hair irritably, not at all amused by him.

“You’re such a klutz.” Luhan shook his head. “You should be more careful.”

That was your fault! You only pouted as you smoothed out your clothes.

“Stop that.” Luhan looked away from you.

“W-What—” You were cut off when he instantly walked up to you and backed you into the wall. His face inched closer to yours while his eyes traveled down to your lips.

“Pout…” His deep voice was almost a whisper as his brows knitted together. “…don’t do it.”

“I’m not.” Your hand flew over your mouth and you forcefully slid away from him. Luhan chuckled as he caught you by the arm to stop you from running off. He gently placed yours hands to your side as he stared lovingly at you.

“We could have come here together earlier.” He smirked. “If you hadn’t taken off so quickly.”

“This was where you wanted to take me?” You looked at him with a raised brow. He nodded, his eyes sparkled like marbles. “But you got here before me. I’m glad.”

“Why…” You questioned.

Luhan shrugged and began walking away from you. He stopped midway; his eyes were kept on the floor as he said softly, “Because…you’re slowly remembering.” And you don’t even know it.

You watched him head back to the where the kids were. You were left in a daze, unsure what he meant by remembering. Could it have just been a mere coincident that you both ended up at the same place?

Something told you it wasn’t. Ah…headache. You rubbed your aching temple and frustratingly blew a raspberry.

“Noona leaving?” Woong tugged the back of your sweats when he saw you put on your backpack. You turned around with a smile, “Yes Woongie, it’s time for me to go.”

He pouted. “Can’t you just sleep here with me?” You chuckled and squatted down to his height. You looked him in the eyes as you smooth out his baby hair gently. “Hmm, but Noona has school.”

His pout grew even bigger.

“Winter break is coming up. Maybe I could then, okay?” You tried compromising, but it wasn’t actually working.

“What have you been teaching him?” Luhan walked up to the both of you. Woong slipped his hand into yours as you stood up to face the other.

“What are you talking about?”

“That pouting face.” Luhan reached over and pinched Dong Woong’s cheek. “Not you too.”

Woong smiled and went over to his side. He immediately latched onto him. “No pinching.”

“Yes pinching.” Luhan chuckled and place a hand behind the little guy’s head. He looked at you. “Going home?”

You nodded. “Yeah. Good night Woongie.” You waved at him. He ran to hug you as if you weren’t ever coming back. “Don’t take too long, Noona. Woongie gets lonely too.” He sniffed dramatically.

 You held back your laughter and squeezed him in your arms. “Be good and make sure to eat all of your rice tomorrow morning. I’ll see you soon.”

“I will…so I can be super duper tall like my Luhan hyung.” He replied confidently. You made a face and whispered to him, “He’s really not that tall…”

“Hey, I heard that.” Luhan crossed his arms as he stared at the two of you. You smiled cheekily and pretended he was there.

With a smirked, he instantly walked towards you. “Do you want me to show you how tall I am?”

Horrified, you backed away at once. “Bye Woongie!” You ran out as if your life depended on it. You placed a hand over your pounding heart and shook off the image of Luhan’s not so innocent expression.

That creep.

“Luhan.” You said his name, but he doesn’t answer. “Luhan…”

Irritated, you turned to look at him. You detected a small smile across his face. “Why aren’t you answering me?” You stopped walking as you frowned at him.

“Cuz’ I want to hear you say my name.” He stared at you warmly. Again, that familiar feeling crept back into your heart. You blinked, trying to appear unfazed.

“You don’t have to walk me home.” You stepped back, hoping he wouldn’t follow you.  His limo has also been trailing from behind for the past five minutes .

“You think I’ll let you walk alone in the dark by yourself?” Luhan stuffed his hands inside his pockets.

You continued down the sidewalk. “The dark doesn’t scare me.”

It used to. Luhan smiled sadly. If only you were as brave as you are now, Minah.                                                                                                                                 

“I’m still not leaving.”

You turned your head slightly. “Luhan, just go. Your limo is creeping me out and it’s causing traffic.”

“We can easily solve that issue if you would just get in. It’s freezing cold and you’re wearing nothing but just your gym sweats.” He argued back. You furrowed your brows and wonder why you even bother to associate with him to begin with.

It was much better when you were avoiding him. Now it seems like we’re already getting so close. I don’t like this.

I'd rather be alone. It’s better that way. Alone.

You stopped abruptly and it caused him to almost collide into you. “Luhan…I really appreciate what you did for me today. I really do, but I also want to just be alone…without you here. Without anyone. It’s safer that way for you. I don’t like getting others involved. I don’t want anyone to think—”

“To think what?” He cut you off. “That I like you? I never said I didn’t.”

You gulped. “Let’s just stay the way we were.”

“You mean the way you ignore me and run away from me as if—as if I would hurt you?” Luhan began to feel his throat burn. He thought things were starting to look up between you both, but it sounded like you were pushing him out again. He tried his best not to show his anger.

“No…it’s not that.” You shook your head; your eyes watered. If only you knew, Luhan. I’m not going to stick around for long. I don’t want to leave so many people behind wondering about my whereabouts. Besides, I hate this feeling with you around. My heart…it feels weird.

For the third time that day Luhan saw how much you were trying to hold it in. The look of desperation in your eyes was tearing him inside out. “Then what is it?” He asked. He prayed silently that you would reveal to him your real identity. That way, he’ll be able to easily tell you the truth.

I’ll understand and I won’t go anywhere either.

“I…I just don’t like you okay?” Your voice grew louder. “You think I would forget what you did to me. You placed me in front the entire school and everyone tormented me. You had a great laugh out of my humiliation and torture. Do you think I would easily believe you now? I’m not going to. I’d like it better if you just stay away from me Luhan.” You exhaled a shaky breath. You didn’t know you could lie so well.

“There’s not a day that goes by that I’m not sorry for what I did to you. I would do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter