Clumsy Search

Catch Me Before I Fall

It had to be JongUp. Riley had been absolutely sure that she saw him even if the last time she had seen the man was a very long time ago. She had never even met him face-to-face. However, that didn't stop her from believing that she knew exactly what JongUp looked like from the back. After all, that was the only glimpse that she had been able to see of him. Now after running the entire way across campus, he seemed to have disappeared. She frustratedly stomped her foot. How could she have lost him? She was sure she had been following closely behind him.

 

She breathed heavily, looking left and then right but there was only an immense number of students walking around campus. She pouted, turning around in the direction she had run from. Feeling slightly panicked, she quickly tried to retrace her steps but found herself lost around the large campus. She walked towards a huge building, but ended up following a large group of students at a distance believing they would lead her to where she needed to go. However, she felt embarrassed when the group noticed her and started whispering amongst each other. Forced to stop following, she pushed a few strands of hair behind her ear partly out of habit.

 

She took a few steps until three students walked by, pointing directly at her and laughing. Her eyes widened, quickly messing up her hair. She wasn't a girl anymore. She sighed again, pouting once more. This was more difficult than she had ever dreamed. Her phone started ringing loudly, of course the ring-tone being B.A.P's Warrior. That was something else she would have to, most likely, change. The last thing she needed was to have someone believe that she was stalking JongUp or any other B.A.P members (even if it was partly true!)

 

“Hello?” Believing that her friend, HyeMi, was calling she immediately answered the call. She nearly shrieked when her brother's voice scared her. She looked around quickly before walking over to a wall of the nearest building. It was the easiest spot to make sure no one would be loud and give away the fact that she wasn't at the all girl's school in Busan.

 

“Riley!” YongGuk screamed into the phone, forcing her to hold the phone away from her ear. She waited for a moment before pulling it back to her ear. “Riley?”

 

“Oppa! Why are you so loud?” She whispered, her eyes shifting both ways. She was paranoid, but at least she had a good reason to be. She was distracted once again when she heard her brother's much calmer voice.

 

“Sorry! We are getting ready for a performance. I don't have very long, but I wanted to see how everything was going. Are you at school yet?” Riley couldn't help but to bite on her lip. She felt sad, knowing her brother believed she was in Busan. They had been so close since they were young and she knew he would be upset if he ever found out that she was still in Seoul.

 

“I love it Oppa! Everyone is really nice and HyeMi is here too. What about you, how are you doing?” She took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. As long as she could make it through today she would be able to finish what she came to do.

 

“I'm great! I went to that new High School in Seoul today. KangSeok International High School is really impressive!” YongGuk's voice rose with excitement. However, Riley felt panicked again, forcing her to look around. She wondered if she was being tricked and that in an instant her brother would pop out and drag her out from the school grounds.

“Why were you there? I mean, why were you at KangSeok International? I heard a lot of idols go there.” She tried to fake calmness, to seem relaxed and unworried. She was freaking out though!

 

“We picked up JongUp and HimChan! They actually go to that school! Isn't that cool?” Riley stayed silent. There was nothing she could say. She felt so relieved and even happy that JongUp was with the rest of B.A.P.

 

“Riley?”

 

“Oppa! Is JongUp performing again?”

 

She felt strange, knowing that one of the main reasons she had come to the school was to help JongUp find the right reasons to stay with B.A.P but her effort to come to this school would seem pointless if JongUp was already performing. She could hear her brother's sigh, followed by a moment of silence.

 

“He says he is sitting out again today. I don't know what is wrong, but I don't think he wants to be with us anymore. He is very serious around us, but I can tell he is soft underneath. I want to help him, but right now he won't let any of us get close to him. I don't know what to do.”

 

The words striked Riley immediately, causing a tear to fall down her cheek. She quickly wiped it away, not wanting any random passerby to see. It was bad enough that she was lost, but it would be even worse if anyone started to call her names, such as: “cry baby” or “momma's boy”. Luckily, no one was near by as it was almost time for dinner now.

 

“Oppa! Don't worry, I'm sure everything will work out. You are a great brother and leader, so everything has to work out.” She tried to sound cheerful, but she knew her voice was cracking slightly.

 

“Riley? Are you crying?”

 

“No! No, I'm not crying. I need to go, though. We are about to go eat. I miss you! Good luck! Bye!”

 

She hung up the phone immediately, taking a deep breath once again to calm her nerves. So JongUp was still not participating in activities. She still had a lot of work to do. She left the protection of her little hiding spot, stumbling back out into the cement path. While looking around at the campus, she tried to forget about the conversation she had with YongGuk.

 

“Student!”

 

She halted, hearing a voice not far behind her. She turned slightly finding an older man in a long, beige jacket. She wondered if he was a professor, he didn't seem dressed to fit one. The fierce look he gave her seemed to say that she was doing something wrong. She turned quickly, bowing to him as he stopped in front of her.

 

“Hello!” Riley lifted her eyes, but lowered them once more when she met his eyes. His gaze was somewhat scary and the silence only made it worse.

 

“What are you doing out here? The opening dinner will be starting soon.” His voice was airy, fit for a singers. She stood straight, finally meeting his eyes for a longer glance.

 

“I took a walk...and then I couldn't find my way back.” There was a 100% chance that her cheeks were burning red with embarrassment. The cute, loud laugh didn't help either.

 

“Come on, I can take you back. What room is yours?”

 

“Really?! Thank you.” She bowed once again. “It's room 216.”

 

The man nodded, not wasting time to walk past her. She walked just as quickly, trying to keep up with him. Something was really bugging her though.

 

“I'm sorry, but who are you?”

 

The man smirked, glancing for a short instant in her direction. They took a few more strides towards a now familiar building.

 

“Kim Jaejoong, I'm the school doctor.”

 

She smiled widely, nodding her head. So now she knew the doctor, and he seemed kind enough. He could possibly help her in the future...if things eventually got better. He left her at her own door, not saying much more than needed before walking away. She turned swiftly, tugging at the door handle to the room. She collapsed against the door when it didn't budge. Unfortunately her key was still with her luggage.

 

“Ah!” The door opened suddenly, causing her to fall forward. She quickly jumped to her feet, finding that all three of her roommates were staring at her. She laughed due to her embarrassment, but quickly bowed.

 

“Hello! I'm Bang Riley! It's nice to meet you.”

 

She couldn't meet the eyes of her unfamiliar roommates, so instead she looked at her best friend. She had a lot to tell HyeMi, but she knew she couldn't say a word in front of the two strangers. It was bad enough that she had created a first impression like this one. Now, she was speechless and lost for words. The two men mumbled something back, but it was nothing she could fully understand Her shy side was revealing itself, causing her to blush once again.

 

She glanced at the two men, finding that they both seemed very tall. The one had blonde hair while the other had brown. She smiled shyly, but quickly cleared her face of emotion. She wondered if smiling would give her identity as a girl away too quickly?

 

Life really was too hard to already be too paranoid over small situations like this...