Chapter 2

Chasing Pavements

I blink up at him, stupidly might I add, and mumble, “Is your foot okay?”

He smiles down at me, oh look at the way the corners of his eyes crinkle when he smiles…and his smile itself….I feel my heart flutter.

“It’s fine, thank you for asking.”

At this point the elevator pings to indicate we’ve reached our floor. We walk out and make our way to the main desk. Before heading to the left, to the area where my cubicle is, I awkwardly wait for Yunho to finish receiving his messages from the front desk receptionist.

He looks at me and waits and I feel my face blush; oh darn blushing, don’t betray me now!

“I’m glad your foot’s fine….Have a good day, sir!” I say, a little mumbled.

 

I rush away to my cubicle where I plop down into my chair and promptly bang my head on the hard wooden surface of my desk.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why I felt the need to show so much concern over his foot. He might think I have an odd foot . That’s giving me too much credit; he’s probably forgotten all about me, at this very moment, while I am agonizing over nothing. I doubt someone like him would even consider placing someone like me and the word “” in the same sentence.

I sigh deeply and get to work. I manage to work efficiently straight through to lunch time. Actually, I almost forget about lunch and probably would have if it wasn’t’ for my phone vibrating on my desk. The buzzing shakes me from my work and I reach across to see who is calling: it is my best friend Sandra.

“Hey, what’s up?” I cheerily answer the phone.

“Come down for lunch, I’m in your building” Sandra replies.

“How much time do you have?” I ask her. I know she has a busy schedule.

“My next class isn’t for another hour and a bit, I’ve got plenty of time, my dear! Now, come down. I’m in front of the pharmacy, okay?” she says.

“Okay, I’ll be down in 2 minutes!” I promise her.

 

I make it down and greet her; we head to the sushi restaurant in my building’s food court and buy our lunch. We sit in a corner where there aren’t too many people.

“Okay dear, so what’s new?” Sandra asks me.

I tell her how Dimitri still insists on talking to me and trying to push into my life.

“Why won’t you just block him on msn?” she asks me, confused.

“I don’t know…isn’t that a bit too mean?” I ask, timidly.

“It’s up to you. I would block him, for sure.” She shrugs.

 

I chew on my food and look around, lost in thought, then I spot a familiar figure walking to the Subway restaurant and almost choke on my sushi.

“What’s wrong?” Sandra asks. She looks to where I am looking but sees nothing that would explain my choking.

I swallow my food and say nervously, “Oh uhm, it’s my boss. At Subway, see? The tall Asian guy in the grey pants and black sweater vest?”

She looks back, “Ohhh, I see. That’s Yunho? The star of your dreams?” she laughs.

I look down at my food in embarrassment, “Yeah that’s Yunho. We talked this morning!” I say excitedly.

Sandra looks a bit surprised, “You talked? As in…you had a real conversation?”

 

My excitement dies down as now I have to divulge the truth…no, it was not a conversation…

“Erhmm…..no, it was really just about his foot” I say.

She raises an eyebrow, “His foot?”

I explain the whole thing and she laughs, “You’re so funny, Morgan”

I watch her laugh and can’t help but smile a bit. It is a bit funny, isn’t it?

“Well, it’s a start. Rome was not built in a day, right?” Sandra says brightly.

“But how do I get further into this? And why do we think he WOULD go for me? He totally wouldn’t” I say.

Sandra shakes her head, “You’re crazy. Why wouldn’t he go for you? You’re smart and pretty.”

“Ughh…he probably has a girlfriend! No way he’s single!” I groan.

“How are you going to know for sure? Come on, I know a lot of office coworkers that go out and have drinks together. Why don’t you just organize a get together and invite him?” she offers.

I look at her and blink; it’s actually quite a good idea but…

“But the last time anyone did that was ages ago!” I protest.

She smiles, “All the more reason to do it!”

“No, I mean, what if nobody wants to go? Or what if nobody agrees because I’m the one asking? I don’t exactly have budding friendships with everyone…” I trail off.

Sandra looks at me incredulously and arches her eyebrows.

“You. Will. Do. It” she states.

She packs up the remains of her lunch and stands with her hands placed on her hips; the very image of purpose.

“What do you have to lose?” she asks.

I lazily get up from my chair, as if I have no will to move, and mumble “My dignity?”

She wraps me in a brief, yet warm, hug and looks at me, a daring smile on her face.

“My dear, you worry too much. Just ask and see what happens.”

 

With that, she says her goodbye’s and says she will be studying at the university library before her next class.

 

I make my way back to my cubicle. Oh, my cubicle…