Chapter 1

Chasing Pavements

I wake up to the sound of my cell phone’s alarm. It must be time for work.

I groan and stretch lazily before reaching over to stop the alarm’s incessant rings.

“Ah, if I could have a few more hours…” I mumble to myself. Then a smile slowly spreads across my face as a thought hits my mind.

“It’s not so bad, going to work…not anymore” I think to myself.

 

It’s been…oh I don’t know how many months, but it’s been quite some time since the scene in Dimitri’s basement. During those months I was quite the emotional roller coaster.

The first few months I spent mourning. Why mourning? Well, it’s simple: it wasn’t supposed to turn out this way. I was supposed to fall in love. I was supposed to grow within the relationship. We were supposed to eventually….marry? I mourned because it all fell apart and I was left with the debris lying at my feet.

I know NOW it all sounds silly. I look back and wonder: how could I have been so blind? How did I not see all the red flags?

The months after the mourning I found that I was able to enjoy my freedom. I was free to do what I want and with whom I wanted. I know that sounds sketchy, but I don’t mean it that way. I just mean that now I can finally do things for myself…

I was seeing the world in a way I was not able to see it before; seeing people in a whole new light.

 

People like my boss at work.

 

God, I know how that sounds. Silly, silly Morgan: don’t hold such ridiculous thoughts about a man so unattainable. Your boss, you can’t be serious?

No, I suppose I’m not serious. It’s not like I think we’ll actually get together. I am serious; however, in that I can’t believe I never noticed him before. I submit all my work to him, nearly every week, and I managed to miss him?

Now that I no longer have Dimitri hanging over me, like the proverbial dark cloud, I can appreciate a good looking man in power.

 

Jung Yunho is his name, and no, his first name is not Jung. He is Korean; therefore, his first name is Yunho and his last name is Jung.  He’s tall and broad shouldered, closely cut dark hair and a small face with warm, brown eyes. Wonderful too!

 

The entire gist of it is I am a lowly copy editor at a local news paper office and Jung Yunho is the editor in chief. I spend my days revising spelling and grammatical errors for various columnists and submit the final copies to Yunho once they are ready for print. Granted, most of the time this means dropping a manila envelope into his “IN” box and his office is empty…but a few times here and there he IS in his office and I DO get the chance to say hello.

 

Pathetic: Yes. We haven’t so much as discussed the weather but, hey…a girl can fantasize, right?

Oh, and fantasize I do! So far, in my own little dream world, we have gone out for coffee and have escalated into heated encounters after hours, in the copy room….

 

“Jesus, okay, let’s just wake up and face the day” I say to myself, while shaking my head and making a mental note to stop fantasizing so much.

I hit the shower and get dressed and leave my small apartment to make the short walk to the bus stop. I live relatively close to my work place; only a 10 min bus ride; the wait for the bus is actually longer than the ride itself.

I arrive at the office building where I work; I stop by the coffee shop on the main floor to pick up my much needed morning caffeine boost and then head to the elevator.

I wait for an elevator and enter once one opens its doors. I hit the button for the 6th floor and wait for the elevator to take me up. The doors almost close when suddenly a well polished shoe jams itself into the small gap. The doors slide open once again, allowing the shoe’s owner to enter the elevator.

“Oh, I’m so sorry!” I say. I feel a little bad that I wasn’t paying enough attention to hold the elevator. Then I look up and almost drop my coffee.

“No worries, Miss Morgan”, he says in his smooth voice.

 

Who is he? He is Yunho.