Chapter 4

Chasing Pavements

I dive into gorgeous brown eyes that seem to pierce right into my soul…right down to my core.

For a split second I think there is a halo around his head…but then I realize that is just the ceiling light.

 

I shut my eyes tightly and shake my head. What’s wrong with me? Did I just have all those cheesy thoughts? What is this; a crappy 99 cent romance paperback? Maybe I should start drinking water.

 

I take a gulp from my beer glass (I guess that’s a “no” on the water) and look up at him again; he smiles before turning to the bartender and ordering himself a drink.

I move closer to him and clap my hand on his back.

“Well hello, my love!” I blurt out.

 

I wanna die.

 

WELL HELLO, MY LOVE???

 

Oh damn, what possessed me to say that, of all things?


My hand feels like it is burning a hole onto his back and time slows down; I hold my breath and watch him, my eyes wide, unable to tear them away from the back of his head.

He turns; to me it feels like he is turning in slow motion, when I am able to see his face I see that he has a big smile on his face.

I slowly drop my hand from his back and take a gulp from my beer.

“Love, eh? Well, hello jagiya”, he says jokingly.

I feel my face flush and I look up at him questioningly, “Ja…jagiya? What does that mean?”

He takes a sip of his beer before answering, “It means sweetheart in Korean. I figured it was fitting to say, seeing how I am your love”

He winks at me before heading over to the pool tables.

 

I am speechless; dumbly I try to drink more beer without realizing my glass is empty.

“Oh nice, now you look slow” I mumble to myself.

I walk over to where the bartender stands, wiping down a beer mug.

“What can I get ya?” he asks me.

I put my empty beer glass down on the counter and think it over…more beer? What about rum and coke? Or maybe I should go for tequila? It’s never a good night until I have my tequila…

“I’ll have a shot of tequila!” I announce proudly.

The bartender grabs a shot glass and pours the golden liquid into it.

“Salt and lime?” he asks.

“Oh hell no!” I grimace.

He looks me over and smirks; he probably thinks there is no way I’ll like the tequila without the salt and lime. Most people are surprised when I turn that down.

He slides the shot glass over to me. I take it gingerly between my fingers and inhale the sharp scent.

“Here goes; liquid courage!” I think to myself.

I bring the glass to my parted lips; in one swift gulp the liquid makes its way down my throat.

I smile at the familiar burn; I love it.

“Ah, good stuff!” I exclaim.

“Another one?” the bartender asks me, looking impressed.

I shake my head, “Not now, but most likely later”

I turn my back to the bar and look across the room.

Yunho is with a few guys, playing pool. He is standing with his pool stick, rubbing the chalk onto the tip. I watch his lips part, slightly pouting, as he blows the excess chalk off.

 

I take a deep breath and make my way across the room; half way there Yunho looks up at me.

“Morgan would you like to play?” he offers, smiling.

 

Oh , I at pool. I didn’t think of that…

 

“Uhm…..yeah sure why not” I accept, rather feebly, if I do say so myself.

I walk over to the rack of pool sticks and pick one out for myself.

“Guys, let’s play 2 on 2 okay? Morgan’s here, she can be with me.” Yunho says to the two guys he is with.

The guys agree, shrugging their shoulders carelessly and happy to just be playing.

Yunho gathers everything up and gets it ready for the break; the other team takes the break. Jeremy, or something like that, hits the white cue ball and it smashes neatly into the triangular grouping of balls; he sinks a solid colored ball.

“We’re solids” Jeremy states proudly.

He takes the next shot and sinks a colored ball but misses on his next try.

“Alright, it’s our turn Morgan” Yunho explains to me.

 

I feel the beads of sweat forming on my forehead and my throat suddenly feels dry. Oh man why am I doing this? I can’t play pool for the life of me…

I walk around the table, eyeing the various striped balls as if I know what to do. I spot one that seems easy enough to sink. I bend at the waist and reach across, my pool stick fitted on my hand in the most comfortable position possible. I slide the stick back and forth until I feel confident in the amount of strength I’ll put into the shot…

 

The thing I forget about is aim.