Chapter 5

Chasing Pavements

The white cue ball manages to sail over the striped ball and over the side of the pool table. In the freakiest of all freak accidents, it just so happens to smack right into Jeremy’s lap; it hits him straight in the crotch.

“Ughhhhh oh God…” Jeremy cries, loudly. He cups his hands protectively over himself and sinks down to the floor, crouching on one knee.

 

Oh my God I sacked him. Well, not exactly sacked but….ohmygod.

 

 I run towards Jeremy and kneel down next to him.

“I am SO sorry; I totally didn’t mean to do that, I don’t even know how I did it. I mean, I know I at pool and I probably shouldn’t have even tried but I swear this has never happened before, and seriously, what are the chances of this even happening!? I am so, so, so sorry!” I ramble.

In my alcohol-influenced state I reach out with one hand towards Jeremy’s lap.

 

Whoa, what the hell am I thinking of doing?

 

I snap my hand back and Jeremy looks at me, amused and puzzled.

Yunho comes up behind me and places his hands on my shoulders and helps me up off the floor.

“Morgan, I think Jeremy is fine now” he says.

 

That’s odd, is it just me or does his voice sound a bit…pissed?

 

“I’m sorry Yunho…” I say, sheepishly. I keep my eyes on my feet.

“Jer, I’m going to get her some water” Yunho says, stiffly.

Jeremy nods silently and slowly gets up from the floor.

Yunho keeps his hands on my shoulders and guides me to the bar. I nervously bite on my lip and try to keep my balance. The last thing I want to do right now is drunkenly collapse onto the floor in a pitiful heap.

The bartender hands him the glass of water and Yunho slams it down onto the bar in front of me.

“Drink” he orders.

 

Okay, now this is staring to annoy me…what the hell did I do to piss him off?

 

I grab the glass of water and quickly drink all of it. I slam the empty glass down onto the table and look at Yunho questioningly.

“Follow me” he says quietly.

He starts to walk towards the back of the bar, I follow him. He walks to the back door and pushes it open; there are smokers chatting amongst themselves in the alley between the bar and the next building.

We go to a corner where there are no smokers. I watch as Yunho paces back and forth, running his hand through his hair.

I lean against the stone wall. I don’t feel too well, to be honest. My head is starting to pound and I am pretty sure I can feel the tequila working against all the beer in my stomach…ugh. I hold my head in my hands and take deep breaths.

“Morgan…I’m sorry.” Yunho finally says.

I look up at him, confused.

“What is going on? Seriously, I’m starting to not feel so good and I embarrassed the crap out of myself and I don’t know why you’re mad…wait, why are you even here? Didn’t you decline?”

 

Jesus, why can’t I ever give short answers?

 

Yunho sighs, “I had plans for tonight but decided to come here instead. I think I came for all the wrong reasons.”

“…Uhm, okay?” What the hell is he talking about?

Yunho smiles at me, “Please accept my apology. I am not mad at you. Anyway, you should really call it a night. How about I drive you home?”

 

Oooh, drive me home? Why, yes. That would be lovely!

 

“Okay.” I say out loud.

We go back inside to say our goodbyes to the people lingering there. Jeremy winks at me and I try not to die on the spot.

We walk to where his car is parked, a few streets down. I can’t help but notice he has a Honda. How typical of a… Nevermind.

The drive there is silent. Some would say awkward, but I think it isn’t so much awkward as there is some unexplained tension.

I can’t put behind me the scene in the alley and I really want to know what it was all about. Should I ask? What if I am intruding? I don’t want to bother him…

Before I know it he is on my street.

“Is it left here or right? Or is it further down?” Yunho asks.

I snap out of my internal debate and look around, “Oh go right. Then left at that parking lot…” I mumble.

He stops in front of the back door of my building.

“Are you going to be okay?” he says.

I look at him and he seems concerned.

“Yeah, I just feel a little dizzy now, could have been the drive, but I’ll be okay…”

I find my keys and absent mindedly play with them. There is a heavy silence over us and I am sure I have overstayed my stay in the car.

“Uhm sooo…I guess I’ll see you Monday.” I have nothing else to say. This .

Yunho half smiles, “Yes, Monday…Have a good night, and weekend, Miss Morgan.”

I scramble out of the car and rush to the back door of my building. I fumble with the key a bit and finally get the door open. I look back once, Yunho waves. I wave back and go into my building. The door shuts heavily behind me.

I hold my breath. I listen; I hear the crunch of pavement as he eases out of the parking lot.

My hands rise up and rest on my chest, over my beating heart.

“What the hell…”

 

A wave of nausea hits me. Oh