Chapter 002

In the Shadows [Girl Group/Mystery] Apply Closed

Waking Up

[Outfits- Jineva | Papillon | ZukiMi | Ai]

-------------------------------

"Jinnie. Jinnine, wake up. Wake up little magician."

Eva sat up quickly, nearly hitting the man in her room in the face. "Chul..." She shook her head. "How did you... I locked my door..."

"Breakfast smoothie."

Eva sighed and took it with a sigh. "How did you get in?"

"Your manager, who else?" Heechul rolled his eyes. "It's four in the morning, before you ask and I have to go do work and such soon. Just thought I'd swing by and see you before hand."

Eva kissed his cheek and stood from her bed silently. She walked over to her dresser and pulled out her outfit for the day. She ran her fingers through the strands of her that had fallen out of the french braid. "Kamsa."

Heechul grinned and walked over, hugging the petite girl from behind and kissing the top of her head. "See you tomorrow." He left the house, nodding to the girl across the hall.

----

Bolting up in her bed, Soo Ji covered to keep from crying out. She had no idea what woke her so suddenly, but she knew it had something to do with a memory of her brother. She shuddered and slowly pulled herself from bed. She groaned as she picked her brush up from the floor; it had flown across the room from her dresser to beside her bed in her moment of panic as she woke. She ran the brush through her hair and walked to her bathroom.

"These memories have got to stop," she murmured to hserself. She went through her morning routine of pulling her hair into a ponytail and brushing her teeth. She changed into a comfortable outfit and made her way to the kitchen. She nodded her head back to the idol she saw coming from the leader's room. She raised an eyebrow at his back and then her thoughts drifted to her favorite member from Super Junior.

Soo Ji walked into the kitchen, wondering why she was actually in an alright mood at four in the morning. She smiled at the stash of apples she had taken over an entire cabinet to store. She tapped her chin and grabbed a bright red apple out of the plethora of colors and flavors and rinsed it off.

She walked into the living room and for the first time noticed that they didn't have a television. She pouted for a moment, making a note to herself to get one - a note that she would probably forget in a matter of moments.

----

"Another one?" Mizuki questioned as she sat up slowly and rubbed her head. She closed her eyes and sat in a comfortable position, listening to the message being passed to her. She sighed as she shook herself from the moment. "Arasso." She spoke to the spirit sitting on the bed in front of her. "I'll deliver it after training today." She smiled softly. "Now I must get dressed."

She looked over at her clock and saw that it was only a quarter after four in the morning. She groaned, knowing they would be starting training around five-thirty. She took a deep breath and walked to her bathroom, getting a quick shower and changing into the day's outfit.

Mizuki walked out of her dorm and towards the kitchen, popping a piece of gum into . She sighed happily at the fruity flavor and went about making herself a quick breakfast. She noticed that one of the older members - Soo Ji was it? - was sitting in the living room with nothing but a lamp on.

She shook her head and took her meal to the dining room.

----

"Maknae-ah."

AiRin groggily sat up in her bed at the sound of the knock and the quiet voice. She looked at her door and then rolled back over on the bed, ignoring whoever was trying to wake her.

The maknae heard her door open and then extra weight on the edge of her bed.

"Maknae-ah, it's time to wake up."

AiRin opened one eye to look at the soft-spoken leader and groaned. "What time is it...?"

"Four-thirty-seven."

"When is practice?"

"Five-thirty."

"Five more minutes?"

"Anniyo maknae."

AiRin sighed and pushed herself into a sitting position. She slid from under the covers and went to her bathroom to brush her hair and teeth. When she walked back out, Eva was gone. She looked around and for a moment saw a part of her true self in her reflection. The sleek black. The horn. She shook her head and chuckled.

"Keep it hidden. Too many people already know," the maknae shrugged and changed into a simple training outfit for the day. She trudged into the kitchen and grabbed a simple bowl of mixed fruit before plopping down in the living room.

----------------------------

First Practice

----------------------------

When the four girls descended to their basement, they were met by the group's manager and each of their personal managers.

"Today you will be given your stage personas after I see each of your talents. You will each be given a song to learn vocally; this song will be your solo on your first mini-album which will come after your first single. You will also be given a song to dance to; these songs are ones that are by other groups that are around the same difficulty level. You will be given three hours to learn the dance and two hours to learn the vocal song." Ki-Bum looked at the four idols-in-training. "Got it?"

The four young women nodded as they were handed their assigned dance song.

"Go with your managers and learn it. After three hours, I will come find you and you will dance in front of your new dance trainer, myself, your managers, and your group mates." Ki-Bum grinned. "No pressure."

Sure enough, three hours ended rather quickly and Ki-Bum rounded up everyone.

"Excited?" Ki-Bum whispered, leaning down to his wife's ear.

"Nervous," Jin Sil responded, her arms crossed as she watched the youngest of the group take her place in the center of the studio. "Show me whatcha got, kid."

AiRin looked at Jin Sil and nodded, bowing. She looked at her group members, then her personal manager, then the group's manager and dance trainer. She took in a deep breath and nodded once more to give the okay for the music.

Jin Sil recognized the song immediately and smiled as she watched the maknae's execution of each move. Lucifer was one of her favorite coreographies, and she enjoyed AiRin's performance of it. "Brava, maknae." She clapped and then watched as the next member took AiRin's place.

Mizuki took a deep breath and sighed. This dance showed a bit of her special talent, and though it was a boy band dance, she rather enjoyed learning it.

Jin Sil watched each move Mizuki made. She became fully aware of why Mizuki had been made Main Dancer as she watched the young woman's performance of Heartbeat. [A/N: Ignore the crazy whatever at the end of the video. xD] Again, the dance trainer was satisfied by the talent of her soon to be charges.

Next up was Soo Ji. She took Mizuki's place in the center of the room. She adjusted her cap and her jacket as the music started. She looked a bit odd doing the dance, but also like she was having fun.

Jin Sil couldn't help but smile as she watched the second oldest of the group dance to Teen Top. IT was a sight to see, however the trainer was again shown why the young woman was given the position she was. The lead dancer's performance of No More Perfume was full of energy and life.

Finally, it was the leader's turn. Eva made sure the skirt hanging on her hips wasn't going to fall off during the performance. She was obviously not looking forward to dancing in front of everyone, especially after only three hours. She took a deep breath and waited for the music.

Jin Sil noticed Eva's nervousness and wondered what had the leader so wary of dancing. She smiled slightly. "Turn on the music; she'll be fine." She watched as Eva began to dance. Her moves weren't very precise and her rhythm was sometimes off. Some moves even seemed to put her in pain, but she kept going. The performance of Neverland was bit off all in all, but it definitely proved why Eva was not one of the dancers.

"Well, I really have nothing to say except I'm going to go plan out the dance training for the next couple of months. See you later ladies," Jin Sil bowed and waved before leaving the basement studio.

Ki-Bum looked at the girls. "Alright, here we go again girls." He said, handing them each sheet music and an instrumental tape. "Knock yourselves out. Remember, these will be your solo songs on your first mini-album. Of course, that's a bit in the future it's always good to be prepared." He smiled. "Go off with your managers again and I'll see you in two hours where you'll sing for us again plus your vocal trainer."

As per usual, the two hours were up rather quickly. Ki-Bum gathered everyone back in the basement and had Eva go first instead of AiRin.

"Alright girls, it's about eleven; you will get a lunch break and then we will gather once more at twelve-thirty to give you all your personas." Ki-Bum flipped through a clipboard for a moment before taking in a deep breath. He took a moment before letting it out in a big puff. "And then the rest of today is free for you four to actually get to know each other. You're all awkward and if you're going to dance together you need to stop that."

The four girls nodded to their manager before everyone except Eva going to sit down.

Ji Ra sat in a chair in the studio, a notebook in her lap and a pen in her hand. She smiled sweetly at Eva, waiting for the leader to begin.

As the music started, Eva took in a deep breath and opened to sing. Though she didn't open up very wide, the sound that came out was powerful and strong.

Ji Ra listened with her eyes closed. She listened for flaws in the leader's intonations or notes, but unlike with her dancing, there was nothing. She smiled as she listened to the song, and pouted once it ended. She clapped happily, laughing quietly as Eva was startled.

Soo Ji took her place in the center, taking in a good breath before beginning her own assigned song. It tested her abilities, but she could handle it and it was a rather catchy song.

Taken aback at first, Ji Ra listened to the second oldest and soon became aware of the young woman's special talent. She was completely focused of Soo Ji's voice as the rapper did what she did best: rap.

After Soo Ji, it was Mizuki's turn. The dancer and vocalist took out her gum and then bowed to Ji Ra before beginning. She had come up with a few dance move bits to go along with parts of the song.

Ji Ra nodded her head in response to Mizuki's bow. She smiled happily as she watched the second youngest dance and sing at the same time. She nodded to herself, knowing that this girl was star material. Of course, why else would she be in this group? The vocal trainer chuckled to herself as she listened to the Japanese-Korean girl.

Finally, AiRin made her way to the center. She stood tall, a laidback smile on her face. She was starting to get hungry, but was trying to ignore it for a moment longer. She let the music start, waiting for her time to come into the song.

Listening to the triple threat maknae, Ji Ra's smile brightened. She watched as the nineteen year old had fun with the upbeat tune of the song, but kept to the deeper meaning of lyrics at the same time. Once AiRin had finished, Ji Ra stood up and bowed to everyone.

"You girls are very talented. You all have beautiful voices capabale of blowing away the public. Stick to training and I'll see you in a week or so with your debut track," Ji Ra smiled and bowed before leaving.

Ki-Bum released them for lunch, but soon they were back down in the basement.

"Alright, after I reveal your personas you are to stay in the house. In the living room. And get to know each other," the manager man said, emphasizing 'in the living room'. He made eye contact with each girl before continuing. "Alright, starting with Mizuki; you are Bubblegum Princess ZukiMi. Next, Soo Ji you are Gleaming Social Butterfly Papillon. AiRin, you are Celestial Jewel Ai. And finally, Eva; you are Frozen Doll Jineva."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hey everyone~! Just a 'quick' update. It's actually been up and going since about 4:30pm on Oct. 22...
It is now 1:50am on Oct. 23...
So yeah, I'ma go to bed. xD
Of course, I had rehearsal from 7-9, plus helping paint the set from 9-11, so I've only worked on this chapter for about 5 hours.
Anyway, "getting to know each other" will be in the next chapter.

In this chapter we also see a bit of what the girls' gifts are - both in performing and in their personal lives with their secrets. Once the girls start trusting each other more, I'll probably stop splitting up the chapters so much. It just depends; I kind of like the way the chapters are set up.

<3