Longing Voices

(SEQUEL) INFINITE KIM MYUNGSOO

Myungsoo was alone, literally. Everybody left the dorm earlier today right after the manager declared a vacation, except for Sungjong and Sungyeol who just went out not too long ago, while he was just there lying down lazily on his bed. Work has been really stressing them so much that’s why this one week of a break is a good news for them. They didn’t let this once in a lifetime chance passed by. 

All of the members except him went on a one week vacation—visiting their parents, going out with their ‘secret’ girlfriends and such, everyone seems to have their own business. Except for him, who flatly thinks that vacation should be equal to resting, and that wouldn’t include going somewhere because that will just add work for him, and it will just be tiring.

Myungsoo slowly move a bit as he felt his phone vibrated beside him. He took it sluggishly and opened the new message.

From: Jiyeon~

Annyeong oppa! Heard infinite is free today… you wanna go out? love you :*

Without replying, he faced the right side of his bed and let his phone slip from his palms to the left. He closed his eyes just like what he was doing lately. He doesn’t want to go out nor do anything. Even if it’s his girlfriend, he doesn’t feel like meeting up with her. He’s too lazy for that.

 

 

 

-ooOoOoo-

9 a.m. and you still couldn’t get off the bed. You coughed continuously as you covered yourself with a blanket. You glanced at your wall clock that was hanging across from the bed. It was late. You’d promised Sungyeol that you’ll have lunch with him today since he said this is his free time, but this day suddenly surprised you with fever, talk about wrong timing.

You and Sungyeol have been going out for many days—secretly. It meant nothing actually, it was just a friendly date. He even declared it himself.

You thought of calling Sungyeol to cancel the lunch today because you are sick, and just when you are about to grab your phone from your desk, it suddenly ringed.

You expected it to be Sungyeol, maybe checking out if you are getting ready already. But as you peered at its screen, you realized it was a long distance call.

“Hello?” you squinted your eyes waiting for the answer of the unknown caller.

[_____!] A familiar voice answered from the line which made your drowsiness vanished.

“Omma?!” you blurted out excitedly. You changed into a sitting position in your bed to make yourself comfortable while having a conversation with your mom.

[Yes! My daughter! How are you? We missed you here!]

A pint of tears fell from your eyes. You missed your parents so much. You wiped your tears before answering her. “I’m okay mom. Me too, I missed you.”

[_____? Are you okay?] Her voice turned into a concern one.

“Yes mom, I’m just… having a cold right now. Heh~” you slightly chuckled and constituted a weak smile although your mom couldn’t really see it. “When are you going back here in Korea?”

[Oh. _____-ah, that’s one of the reasons why I called you… But before that, let’s leave it first. How are you and my future son-in-law? Is he taking care of you well?] Your mom asked, she didn’t know that the two of you already broke up. She had witnessed your relationship with Myungsoo from the very start, and she knows he will be the one you’ll end up marrying with. She thought she knew Myungsoo very well and the two of you are perfect for each other. The blissful relationship had really tricked her. Her hopes for you had already put to an end. It’s just too beautiful. She is too happy that you can’t tell her the truth.

“Omma…” a weak voice came out from your mouth.

[Why? Did he do something to you? Don’t tell me, he get you pregnant?!] An odd and surprising guess was suddenly assumed by her.

“Omma… he doesn’t. Anyway, maybe next time, if we met.” You assured her.

[Oh. Well, about it, I…] she paused for a second, clearly thinking of how to change the subject. [Darling… about that… we like you to… move. Move with us… here.] Her mom kept on stuttering but despite of that she managed to say what she intended to state completely.

Move? “What do you mean?”

Your mom explained, “Your dad wants you to continue your studying here in the States with your brother. His business is quite expanding and we think it’s better if you move here. The sooner the better.”

You widened your eyes, you don’t know what to say. You remained silent at your mom’s declaration. It’s not that you don’t want to move with them, you just felt it too sudden, thinking you’re going to leave a lot of things in Seoul. If you move with them, you’re going to live there for many years, or maybe, permanently.

As if she can hear your thoughts, she continued, [_____, I know it’s a bit hard for you. Leaving Korea, especially Myungsoo. But… trust me, it’s for your own good.]

You quickly opposed what she had said once you’ve heard the name Myungsoo. It’s not about Myungsoo anymore.

“No mom. It’s okay. I… I think I want to move with all of you there. So… when will I going to schedule my flight?”

 

 

 

-ooOoOoo-

Myungsoo went to the kitchen to get some water. As he walked towards the refrigerator, he noticed Sungyeol’s phone lying on the counter table. “Such a kid.” He muttered and shook his head.

He was about to get back to his room when it suddenly ringed.

Aish what should I do now? Annoyed, he decided to take a quick peek on the phone’s caller. He lazily grabbed it from the table and stared at it.

 

______?

 

He forced himself not to let the phone drop from his clasp as he reads the caller’s ID. Why the hell would _____ call Sungyeol?!

As if he was hypnotized, he pressed the answer button unconsciously and placed it on his left ear. “Hello?” a cold yet longing tone came out from his mouth.

[Hello?] A groggy voice spoke. The unwellness on the speaker’s voice is too obvious to be notice. [Sungyeol? Is that you?]

“Y-Yes…” he lied. He doesn’t want the conversation to end too soon.

[Oh, okay… Anyway, I’m sorry but, can we cancel our lunch for today? I’m not feeling well.] You told him, still unaware that it’s actually another person you’re talking to.

His eyes widened as his heart began to worry about you. He suddenly felt uneasy that he wants to visit you and take care of you, like what he always did before. A flow of pure sadness ran through his body, he can’t do that anymore. “_____...” he softened.

[Sungyeol? Is that really you? Why you… sound different… as if it’s another person talking to me. You don’t wanna know who’s on my mind. Hehe.] You kid. Myungsoo knows he’s the one you’re talking about.

 

 

 

 “_____, please take care of yourself. Eat well and drink medicine after that. If you are having a fever, do not watch any tv or videos or use the computer, it’ll just make you dizzier. Just take a good rest and sleep early later. Avoid sleeping too late and refrain yourself from watching too much infinite videos at midnight okay? Even just for today. Do not worry because oppa can always visit you and show you what we’ve done on tv. It’s more fun because we can do it privately. You can have me. You know I’m not always by your side _____, so please, do what as I say. I missed you…” Myungsoo said, without realizing that he was already tearing up.

 

You were surprised at Sungyeol’s sentences. It was not him, you’re pretty sure of that. Now that you’re convinced that it’s not him, you still deny it to yourself. Myungsoo would never say that.

You both bid goodbye as if it ended as a normal conversation, with you still believing it will never be Myungsoo, and him forgetting to remind himself that he was not your boyfriend anymore.

Myungsoo was still staring at the phone when a person suddenly entered and called him in terror. “Myung!”

The man bolted towards him and snatched the phone away from Myungsoo. “I… left my phone…” Sungyeol said, stuttering. He hurriedly put the phone on his pocket.

Myungsoo threw him a glare. “Where are you going?” the tone of his voice became sharp.

“I told you I—“

“What?” he cutted Sungyeol as he grew impatient.

“Going to my mom’s—“

 

“Liar.” He told him conclusively. Sungyeol stopped. This is the moment he doesn’t want to happen anytime soon, yet it is happening right now.

Myungsoo eyes are filled with anger. He cannot keep it inside anymore. “What are you doing? Dating your bestfriend’s ex? What are you—stupid or something?”

“I am not dating—“

“Then what? Going out? Hanging out? It’s all the same goddamnit. Since when are you two going out? Since I left her? Did you wait for that moment so you could go out with her?” Myungsoo continued recklessly.

He doesn’t want to argue with him, but Myungsoo’s words suddenly gave him a rush of courage to answer him back. “Why? Jealous? So what if I’m going out with her? It’s not like you should care. You’re not her boyfriend anymore. You even asked me to help you get rid of her, right? You should be happy right now, because she already moved on from you FOR REAL. Unlike what you’ve said to everyone before that— aagh!“

Myungsoo suddenly punched him hard in the face that made Sungyeol fell on the floor. He couldn’t take this anymore. Everything that Sungyeol said disgust him, because at the same time, he cannot accept that all of it was true.

Although both of them have something on their minds, neither of them speaks. They just stared at each other, like they are reading each other’s minds.

Sungyeol— he had concealed his feelings for a long time, isn’t it that Myungsoo should be thankful of? He touched his right cheek and felt a pinch of pain. His hands moved towards his mouth as he realized it has blood. He stood up with difficulty and without saying anything, he walked out of the room, away from his bestfriend’s presence.

Myungsoo stood there, analyzing everything. He looked down, thinking all of the things he should do to clean up his mess. Sungyeol is his bestfriend, he should have not done it to him.

Jiyeon, like him, she is also the visual of her own group. She is pretty and attractive, men were head over heels for her, though there were haters, a lot of people says they make a good couple. Both good-looking, handsome and beautiful. Just perfect for each other.  

Perfect. Myungsoo shrugged everytime he hears this comment. He didn’t know when did this started but, it seems like his heart doesn’t really agree to this. He knows he’s supposed to be happy, but even though he tried his best to pushed himself to be so, he can’t.

What if I made the wrong decision?  What if…

Myungsoo made a BIG mistake, he just keeps on denying it. He hates the fact that he is wrong, he doesn’t want to admit it. He’s just curious before, and he blames himself for acting too quickly. Jiyeon, deep within Myungsoo’s heart, he knows she isn’t the one that he really wants, he isn’t yearning for her, and he wants the other one so badly, it hurts him.

He touched his chest roughly as it aches painfully. I miss you _____, but I already ruined everything… What should I do?

 

 

 

 

 

------

a/n

one last chapter to go! I hope you'll anticipate for it :)