Chapter 5

Her best friend...

 

BoA has arrived at her favorite bar in Seoul, Naos Nova, where she’s supposed to meet Yunho later. She came early and it’s unbelievable...There is still 45 mins left until their meet-up. Usually, Yunho would come first and wait for her. Did he read her message? Is he gonna come? She’s too nervous to think about it. She just wants to solve their misunderstanding as soon as possible. She is determined to stay here until Yunho shows up.

“Hey BoA~ long time no see”, someone cut her thought, and the voice sounds familiar.

“OMG~ Seukie, it’s been a while”, BoA replied to Geun Suk, one of her old friends. They have been friend with each other since the CF filming in 2001. And because they are the same age they got close to each other easily.  

“The owner of the bar said you are here, so I came to say hi. How are you these days? Anything new? Oh, and I love your new song a lot, BoA. It reminds me my first love when I was in high school”, Geun Suk said.

“How nice of you, Seukie!! I’m glad that you like the song. I wrote it myself”, she giggled. “I’m doing okay even though I was flooded with hectic schedules. But I’m doing the thing I like, so that’s fun”, BoA said proudly.

“Good to hear, buddy~ By the way, why are you here today, meet up with someone? Or...don’t tell me you have a date?”, Geunsuk asked mischievously with a grin.

“Yep~ I’m waiting for Yunho, and for your information, it’s not a date, just a normal hang-out”.

“I wonder why you and Yunho aren’t going out. You two have been together since...for God knows how long! I always see you two stick with each other and Yunho is too overprotective about you. How can you guys not have feeling for each other? How can Yunho resist a girl like you? Is he gay or something?”, Geunsuk asked amusingly.

Geunsuk’s last question cracked BoA up. “Yunho...is a gay? No way. If there is one last manly and muscle man in the world, it would be Yunho, definitely. And he used to have feeling for me tho, Seukie, but I can’t tell ya about that”, BoA thought to herself.

“How could you come up with that assumption, Seukie?” BoA asked, “I can guarantee you that he is a straight man, even more than straight, if it can make any sense to you”, BoA continued.

“Haha, okay dokie. I hope he is straight tho. Cus if he’s not...it would be a huge loss for the world, and for...you!”, Geunsuk said with a grin and continued “I have to go now, also have a meet-up with some old friends. Have fun with Yunho, and tell him I say hi too. Talk to you later, buddy”.

“Is it just me or Geunsuk get prettier and...girlier these days? I envy him. He even looks prettier than me, as a girl”, BoA was thinking while watching Geunsuk walk away from her.

It has been 10PM and Yunho hasn’t showed up yet. BoA is getting more and more impatient. She felt so lonely sitting in this VIP section alone. But if they meet at the outside, probably they will become juicy scandal for the press tomorrow.

“Will you come, Yundol? I’m sitting by myself here and waiting for you! Show your up or I will not be your friend anymore”, BoA decided to text Yunho since she can’t wait any longer. Although only an hour has passed but sitting here alone and waiting for him made her feel like a day.

Yunho’s POV

Should I come to her or just leave her be? I myself don’t know what I am doing. I tried to avoid her but it didn’t work. The more I ran away from her, the more I wanted to see her. There was such a major conflict in my mind. Was this too childish? But If I keep seeing her face, hearing her voice, I would want to get her for all myself. After all, I can’t stop my feeling for her easily as I thought.

Not seeing her just made me realize how much I long for her. What I am doing is making me hurt, and her hurt as well. I have seen the tears in her eyes the previous day, when I ignored her in the SM building on purpose. I felt really bad and I felt like a jerk. I always blame “him” for making her cry but I’m also the one who did it as well. Sorry BoA...I don’t mean to make you sad. But to you, I always remain as a friend...merely a best friend...

Let’s face it...there is nothing wrong with me loving her, even when she doesn’t love me back. I will always keep this feeling for myself. I would be the one hurting instead of running away from her and ruining this precious friendship. Be a man Yunho! You have been struggling with this one-sided love for years. There is no way to turn back.

“Hey”, I finally decided to show up after watching her from a far for too long.

“Yo Yundol! I know you would come, eventually." She seemed excited. "And you’re late....for an hour. So, you have to make it up for me”, BoA said with a smile showing her dimples. How I miss this lovely and pretty smile. I feel like a year since the last time I saw it.

“Urgh....why??? you are making more money than me, Bboa”, I said, still with a straight face.

“But you are the one who came late. Never mind...hehe, just feel like teasing you a little bit”, she smiled again. She seemed to be happy today cus I came

“Uhm~ why did you call me here?”, I asked coldly. Stay cold Yunho, stay cold!

“Uhm...since when I can not call you out for a drink? And it has been a while Yundol...Okay, I won’t beat around the bush anymore. Honestly, It made me feel uncomfortable because you have been avoiding me the last few weeks...since the SM town in Tokyo. Why Yunho? Did I do anything wrong? You have to tell me...This is not like what we used to be. This is so...not you, Yundol ah”, She said and I could feel the sadness coming from her words.

She’s right. I was not myself the last few weeks. It’s time to end all this. I will go back to the old Yunho who loves Bboa silently and always watching her from a far. At least she won’t be out of my sight. And I won’t force myself to stop loving her. Honestly...it is even harder than loving her in silent.

“Uhm...sorry Bboa”, I finally spoke after being reticent for a few minutes.

“I didn’t mean to to that to you. It’s just...I felt tired and there were like milions thought going on my head. Oh, and to tell the truth, I felt a bit hurt and ashamed that you decided to stop doing the couple dance with me. But I think I’m okay now”, I assured her.

“Sometimes...I felt like a woman behaving as if she is in her PMS mood haha”, I joked, hoping that she won’t ask me anymore about what happened with me.

“About the couple dance...I was also at fault, sorry Yundol”, she said.

BoA’s POV

Great! He isn’t mad at me anymore and he’s back to the old Yunho I know. Should I tell him the feeling I had when we did the couple dance? I don’t think it matters now since we have made up.

“So, are we cool now? Seriously...I felt lonely without your messages and your calls. I have been taking you for granted”, I said with my hand raising above and waiting for a high five from him.

“Yep~ we are cool now”, he responded to my high five as usual.

I feel like it has been a year since we last hang out. We talked and laughed so much without knowing it’s 2 AM in the morning. Yunho dropped me at my appartment and we both bid goodbye to each other when it was already 3AM. It felt so good as our cold war has stopped. Yunho is gonna go to Japan for a week because of work, guess I will be bored with the absence of my drinking buddy.

I can’t believe that another busy month of mine has passed. I have been tied up with my promotion that I hardly noticed this is the last week of August, and I’m gonna film for We Got Married at the early of September. Speaking of it, I forgot to tell Yunho about the We Got Married filming. Nevermind, he will find out eventually and let him have a shock then.

I smile while imagining Yunho’s reaction when he knows I would get married “virtually”. He would be in a great shock, for sure.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At Kyobo bookstore in Seoul, a week later

BoA received a mission card and came to meet her “virtual” husband at Kyobo bookstore today. She was nervous and sick with worries yet really excited to meet her going-to-be-on-screen husband. Is he a singer? Or is he an actor? She prefers actor tho. 

She is especially wearing a white lace dress today together with a beige sweater. People know her well probably know that she doesn’t like skirt or girly dress. She’d rather wear pull, jeans and jacket for casual hang out. However, no one can deny that she looks good in whaterver she wears.

BoA wants to impress her husband today and she wants to show him her feminie side too. She just hopes she doesn’t look bad in a dress that is slightly above her knees cus she doesn't have confident in her knobbly knees. Her first time ever trying this lovely-girly style for a hang out. She swears whenever this episode is broadcasted on TV, she will be teased by her close friends. The first one would be Yunho and Jaewon oppa probably would be the next. That guy like to play along with Yunho dork to pick up on her. But who cares? She doesn’t intend to impress them.

People probably wonder what she is doing here, and she felt like being exposed by plenty of eyes fixing on her. Some are taking her photos with their handphones and some are whispering to each other because of her appearance in the bookstore.

“She’s so pretty”, she heard someone saying. “OMG~ It’s BoA, what’s she doing here??”.

“Is that BoA? She looks so petite in real life”, another one said.

Guess she is getting attention of the people around by her look and many cameras are recording her while she’s choosing some books.

Suddenly someone interrupted her. “Hello BoA noona”, that familiar voice surprised her. As soon as she perked up to see who it was, she was taken aback by the appearance of a way-too-familiar person.

“OMG Key...what are you doing here? Don’t tell me you are going to be my husband??? No way this can't be true...” BoA said with her eyes gazing at Key suspectedly.

“Noona, are you expecting someone. That hurts!!!!!”, Key said and pouted. “Don’t you know that I’m in good relationship with MBC these days? And they have granted my wish when I said during the recruitment that I want to be on the show with you”, Key beamed brightly at BoA.

“OMG really? What in the world...”, BoA laughed “Again...really???”, BoA seemed to be in shock and somehow didn’t believe in her own eyes.

“Really noona! Why so surprised? I can’t be qualified to become your husband, huh? It hurts you know...seing the dissatisfaction in your eyes”, Key said and gave BoA a hurtful look.

“Nah, I didn’t mean that...just...just because this is too shocking and...and...how can we be husband and wife...uhm...this is just so...wrong. But I will try my best to fit in tho”, BoA said worriedly.

“I will try my best too since I don’t have any experiences in dating older woman”, Key joked.

“What???? Older woman??? Don’t make me kill you on our first day of being husband and wife”, BoA warned with her eyes still in disbelief.

“And since you are older, noona, will you take the lead in our on-screen relationship?”, Key asked with curiosity.

“Heyyyyyyyy, I’m older but...but...it’s not like I have a lot of experiences in relationship, you know. And...and I don’t think I am an expertise in dating. I have to count on you instead. Since we are already close to each other, I think it’s hard to to call each other husband and wife like other couples. Plus...I am 5 years away from you, so...I don’t think I feel comfortable calling you husband. And...we need to...”

“Okay noona...okay. You are talking too much and too fast. You shouldn’t be like this on the first meeting, okay?” Key cut in

“And noona, I  just wanted to tease you a bit but you were so easy to trick, it’s not fun”, he continued.

“What? What are  you talking?”, BoA asked.

“I’m sorry noona, I am just a special guest and I came here to give you another mission card”

“What? You are what?”, BoA was in shock again. She got two shocks just in an hour and she wonders if any surprisement is coming.

“You were so easy to give in noona, and that’s not fun at all... So here is your mission card, noona. I just came here to give you this. Don’t kill me, okay? I just want to put on some fun for the show.” He continued “Oh and I have to get going now before you kill me. I’m innocent, hehe.

"Bye noona. Good luck and fighting with the show.” Key said to BoA and bowed to BoA and the filming crew before he got going.

“Oh and you look so girly and pretty today noona”, he turned back and gave her a comment on her look.

BoA still couldn’t believe it. She silently thanked god that Key wasn’t the virtual husband she was waiting for...If he were, it would definitely awkward between them since both of them are having a good noona-dongsaeng relationship.

The director gave her a signal to read her mission card. It was written “Take the bus number 43 and go to your elementary school. Your husband is there waiting for you”

“You troll, MBC. Such a troll!”, BoA thought before getting on the bus to the destination where she's gonna meet her husband.