Chapter 1: The Meeting

Just a Bodyguard?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I tried to concentrate on what my lecturer was saying, but I just couldn't focus. My mother’s voice from last night echoed in my brain as if it is a broadcast on a replay.

"We knew that your brother is one of them, but we don't have any clue which one of them is he. What we do know is, that he has a birthmark somewhere on his body. I'm sorry, dear, we’ll try to find out more about it…"

And how the hell am I supposed to find the birthmark since I don't even know which part of THEIR BODIES the birthmark is on? It's not like I can go up to them and say "Excuse me, will you be nice enough to let me EXAMINE your BODY?" That would be too… absurd.

I put my pen down and closed my eyes. Well, since I’ve already agreed to take on this job, I would just do what I can to protect every single one of them with my life in the line. After all, it's just the way we Rin(s) do our job... Ah, I forgot that I am no longer a Rin.

 

 


I was walking slowly out of the school after the lecture ended. The moment i stepped out of the school gate, a man in black suit appeared in front of me.

"Someone asked me to pass you this." he said, as he passed me a piece of paper. Then, without giving me any chance to talk, he hurried off.

Puzzled, I unfolded the paper and read it. The words were written in dark red pen, almost similar to human's blood color: Don't you dare get in the way.

I felt my pulse increased – anxiety built up in my heart. Nobody, other than my family and I, knows about the plan. So who could this be?

Decided to put this aside, I rushed to the promised venue to meet my new employer. I would talk to my parents about this later.
 



I reached the building almost immediately. I had a few minutes to spare before the meeting start, so I did one last check on my outfit. I was wearing a long-sleeved white colored blouse with a black long pants accompanied with my beloved sneakers. My parents reminded me that the appropriate attire for bodyguards is formal attire, no matter which event we're attending or which place we're going to. I hated to wear something formal, that's why I tried to be at least semi-formal. I looked through my appearance in the toilet mirror once again before heading to the meeting room.

I was outside the room when I heard chattering.


Are you serious, Mr. Lee?
... She's not even 17?
She's a girl...We might end up protecting her instead of her protecting us!
Why must she be our bodyguard?
We can take care of our own!
... Is she reliable?
… It's possible that she's an anti-fan in disguise...
... Besides I don't trust outsiders...
Mr. Lee...

I took a deep breath and pushed the door open. The 13 members, accompanied by their managers, and the head of the company was already seated around a big, oval-shaped table. Once they heard someone came in, everyone stopped talking and the room was quiet.

"How do you do, my name is Hikaru Rin." I introduced myself. No one replied.

I looked up, and saw each one of them (including the managers) has doubtful expressions on their faces. I didn't bother to assure them that I’d do my job brilliantly, although I told myself that I would. Action speaks louder than words. I'm used to people looking down on me. But to know that my brother was one of them who gave me the cold stare... it hurts a little. Just a little, though.

I was not a big fan of them, but since they were famous and their posters decorated every corner of South Korea, I recognized every one of them. They are Park Jungsu, Kim Kibum, Kim Heechul, Kim Ryeowook, Kangin,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter