Protector - Kai

The Heroes Saga

 

Your breath was heavy as your feet pounded on the cement sidewalk. Even though you knew you were was past your limit, you kept running, not because you wanted to, but because you had to. Your phone ran out of battery long ago, cutting you off from any source of communication. You had been weaving through the slums in downtown Seoul for the last couple of hours, trying to escape the men in black suits that were chasing you. 

Coming from the last family of mind readers in Asia, you could think of dozens of reasons for why they were trying so hard to catch you. Research, money, power. Everyone knew that if they capture a mind reader, they would pretty much have control over the country, not to mention the continent. 

Thinking that you had finally shaken them off, you slowed down to a stop to catch your breath. You leaned against a nearby wall and placed your hands on your knees, breathing slowly in an attempt to get some oxygen back into your lungs. You looked around and saw that everything was still, no people, no cars. But you didn't expect anything more at two o'clock in the morning. 

"There she is!" 

Your head snapped up and turned in the direction of the voice. There, you saw two of the men that had been chasing you barreling your way. You kicked off the wall and started sprinting down the street as fast as you could. 

'Faster, faster, faster,' you chanted in your mind. But you could tell that they were starting to gain on you.

Thinking quickly, you turned down one of the narrow streets, hoping that the men wouldn't be able to see you because of the darkness.

You took a few steps down the new path, but were suddenly pulled into a small alley. You were pushed against one of the alley walls and were about to scream out in panic when a hand flew over your mouth, cutting off your voice. You silently struggled, pulling and pushing him by his shirt in an attempt to break free, not even bothering to look the person that was pinning you to the alley wall. 

"Shh, shh, I'm not going to hurt you."

You looked up with wide, scared eyes to see a boy that looked about your age staring back at you, his face inches from yours. If you were in any other situation, you probably would have thought he was pretty cute, but now was not the time for checking out boys.

The boy suddenly moved his face closer to yours, so close that your lips would have been touching if it wasn't for his hand that was covering your mouth, and wrapped his free hand around your waist. Your eyes widened at the close contact and you were about to push him off when you heard footsteps coming down the street.

You turned your head to the side to see the two men that you just escaped from standing right next to the opening of the alley, looking around in frustration.

"I can't believe we lost her again!" one of them yelled.

"Let's just keep going, I think she went this way," the other said and the two of the continued to run down the street.

When coast was clear, the boy released you and moved to lean against the wall opposite of you. The two of your stood in silence, the only sound coming from your heavy breathing.

"I'm Kai," the boy said suddenly, a faint grin on his lips.

You were just about to give him your name when a booming voice cut you off.

"I found her!"

You and Kai quickly looked in the direction of the voice and saw another man in a similar black suit pointing to the two of you from across the street. You watched, frozen in fear, as about a dozen men in suits came racing towards you.

"Run!" Kai yelled, and yanked your arm, throwing you in front of him as the two of you ran down the alley. As you ran as fast as you could, you could hear Kai knocking down trashcans and empty boxes to slow down your chasers and buy you more time. 

You and Kai suddenly came to a dead end, no escapes and the building went up at least four stories. 

You looked at Kai in panic, "What do we do?!"

Kai looked around and saw the men making their way closer to the two of you.

"Hold on to me and close you eyes," he said quickly.

"What?" you asked confused.

"Just do it!" he commanded.

Seeing the men a few feet away from you, you flew your around arms his waist and squeezed your eyes shut. Kai quickly placed his hand on the back your head and pressed your face against his chest. You heard a snap and suddenly, you felt yourself being thrown onto the ground away from Kai.

Wincing from the impact, you slowly sat up and rubbed your back. You blinked your eyes as you looked around and saw that you were no longer in the dark alleyway filled with scary men, but in a quiet grassy field. 

'Ah, so he can teleport,' you thought.

You looked to your side and saw Kai laying next to you, arms and legs spread out and breathing heavily. He slowly lifted his arm and placed it over his eyes, a grimace on his face from the impact.

'Why am I helping this girl?' he cursed in his mind.

"Yeah, why are you helping me?" you whispered.

Kai lifted his arm from his eyes and looked at you in shock.

"How did you-?"

"Know what you were thinking?" you finished.

"You're a-" 

"Mind reader," you nodded, "And no, you are not dreaming. And yes, I am the daughter of the last family of mind readers in Asia."

Kai slowly sat up, still shocked that you just answered all of the questions that were in his mind.

"Why were they chasing you?" he asked.

"I think you know the answer to that one," you said and stood up from the ground, dusting off your jeans.

"What about your body guards? Doesn't your family have like hundreds of them?" Kai asked, standing up all well.

"Well not hundreds," you let out a short laugh at his exaggeration, "But yes, we do have a lot. They try their hardest, I know they do. But, sometimes, they just can't stop them," you said as you bit you lip and looked at the ground.

"Is this-?"

"The first time this has happened to me?" you finished, "No, it's actually the fifth."

The two of you fell into silence.

"Sometimes," you said, breaking the silence, "I just think 'Is it really this worth it?'. I feel that, maybe, I should just give up," you bowed your head as tears started to run down your cheeks.

"No," Kai said suddenly and took your face into his hands, "Your gift is too special. You are too special."

You gave Kai a small smile as his wiped away your frustrated tears with his thumbs. 

"Let me be your protector," he whispered with a grin, "Think of me as your somewhat human get away car."

You let out a small giggle and nodded your head, "Thank you, Kai."

He smiled back at you and pulled your into his arms, burying your face into his chest once again.

"You do realize that you'll have to stay by my side from now on right?" you asked, your voice muffled by his shirt.

"Mmmm, that's fine with me," Kai mused as he rocked the two of you side to side.

"And my parents might freak out when they see you bringing me home at three in the morning," you said and looked up at him.

"I'll just tell them that I saved their daughter's life," he smirked and pressed a kiss to your forehead.

"Okay, suit yourself," you said in a warning tone.

Kai just laughed, "I think I can handle it. Let's just get you home."

You nodded your head tiredly and rested your head against Kai's chest as your closed your eyes. Kai smiled down at the top of your head, tightening the arm that was around your waist, and snapped his fingers.