Shock - Chen

The Heroes Saga

 

You looked up at the sky in worry as you drove down the winding road that led towards the coastline. You shook out your hand, it still felt a little prickly as the neves in it became unparalyzed. You pressed down on the gas pedal a little harder every time you would see a flash of lightning illuminate the dark grey sky. You parked your car on the side of road and got out of the driver's seat after turning off the head lights and removing the key from the ignition. 

You looked over the hood of your car and saw the deserted and gloomy looking beach in front of you. Waves crashing on the shore, a storm in the distance coming your way, and Chen sitting on the sand with his body towards the water, his head tilted towards the ground. 

You stepped onto the sand and made your way towards your boyfriend.

"Stop," Chen said abruptly, causing you to freeze mid step, "Don't come any closer."

You flinched a little at the harsh tone in his voice and once more when another flash of lightning lit up the sky.

"Chen..." you whispered as you continued to walk closer to him, ignoring his command, "It wasn't your fault."

"Yes it was! I could have killed you!" he exploded and stood up off the ground, turning towards you.

You looked at him with wide eyes but turned your head up to the sky to see dozens of lightning bolts crackling in the clouds. You turned back to Chen to see him staring at the ground with a pained expression, breathing heavily. 

Taking a deep breath, you slowly started walked closer to him. It shocked you that he didn't make a move to get away from you, instead, he just stood there and continued to concentrate on the grains of sand below his feet.

You stopped when you were less than a foot away from him. You felt him slightly tense up when you lifted one of your hands and lightly placed it on his cheek.

"But you didn't, Chen," you said in soft voice, "I'm fine. Please look at me."

Chen slowly lifted his eyes up from the ground to see you giving him a small smile.

"It wasn't you fault, you didn't know that there was a lot of static in the air today," you told him, looking into his eyes.

"Yes, it was my fault. I should have been more careful," he whispered, guilt in his eyes, "If that current was any stronger, you would have been dead, or at least hospitalized."  

"I just wanted to hold you hand," he continued, "Like a normal boyfriend. But instead, I send a bolt of electricity through your body. I'm so sorry."

He cut off your eye contact and looked down at his shoes once again. Lightning was still flashing through the sky as you cupped his face in your hands and forced him to look at you again.

"I'm fine," you insisted, "It really just felt like a little shock. I've felt worse in my life before." 

You released his face and wrapped your arms tightly around his waist, burying your face into his chest. Chen, not wanting to hurt you again, froze as you tightened you arms around him.

"Please hug me," you voice muffled by he shirt.

You felt Chen's arms slowly wrap around your, his hands shaking nervously. When realizing that he wasn't going to hurt you, you felt him relax and let out the breath that he was holding. He buried his face into your neck and pulled you closer to him. 

Without pulling away from him, you glanced up at the sky to see that the lightning bolts that filled the sky has disappeared, a signal that Chen had finally relaxed. 

Chen lifted up his head from your neck and rested his forehead against yours.

"Thank you," he whispered with his eyes closed.

"I'll always trust you," you whispered back. 

You got on your toes to give him a kiss on his forehead and nose. But when you placed a soft kiss on his lips, you felt a small shock on your lips, causing you to jerk back from Chen.

"Sorry," he said as he bit his lip, letting out an embarrassed chuckle.

You laughed and shook your head, telling him that it was okay. 

Chen dipped his head back down and captured your lips with his own. Smiling against his lips, you ran your hands up his chest and wrapped them around his neck, ignoring the tingling feeling on your lips as you kissed him back.