Pact - D.O

The Heroes Saga

 

D.O sat in the shade of a small tree and watched all of his classmates play together, without him. With a sigh, he took another bite of his sandwich that his mother had packed for him and stared at the ground. 

It's hard being isolated by your classmates as a teenager, but it's even harder when you're only seven years old. Even though he didn't like being alone all the time, D.O knew he couldn't blame his classmates for not wanting to be around him. He didn't mean to destroy the jungle gym a few days ago by a stomp of his foot, he was really just trying to squish a bug that attempted to contaminate his lunch. 

D.O, still lost in his thoughts, failed to notice that a small girl, around the age of six or seven, had poked her head out from around the tree and was watching him, a curious glint in her eyes. She then tip toed her way over to him and squatted next to him as she placed her own lunch box on the ground. When he didn't look up, she blinked and turned her head to stare at the spot that D.O had his eyes on. She stayed there, unbeknownst to D.O, for a couple of minutes.

"What are we looking at?" you asked, breaking the silence that hung in the air.

"Ah!" D.O yelled as he jumped away from you.

D.O stared at you with wide eyes. He saw a small girl, about his age, wearing a polka dotted dress and her hair in pig tails, staring back at him with an innocent expression.

Unaware that you almost gave him a heart attack, you shrugged your shoulders and sat down on the ground, smoothing out your dress before opening your lunchbox. D.O watched your with his eyebrows knitted together as you took out a juice box and poked a hole through the foil circle on the top. 

"U-ummm," you turned to look at D.O as you continued to drink your juice, "Can I help you?" he asked.

"You're D.O right?" you asked.

D.O nodded his head.

"I'm ______," you said brightly, "Nice to meet you!"

D.O continued to look at you with a confused expression written on his face.

"I'm new," you continued, "My powers just came in a few days ago. But I don't think that a lot of people here like me though," you said with a small pout.

"W-why not?" D.O asked in a small voice.

"I accidentally made a small tornado that pretty much destroyed Mr. Lee's class," you told him, "I didn't mean to! He told me to show the class what my power was and I did!"

D.O let out a small laugh as you tried to defend yourself, "It's okay. I accidentally broke the jungle gym."

You eyes widened, "That was you?"

The smile that was on his face instantly disappeared as D.O sadly nodded his head.

"Woah! You're powers must be amazing!" you exclaimed crawled over to D.O so you were kneeling in front of him.

D.O's eyes widened at your sudden out burst but then smiled, slightly embarrassed.

"I guess," he said as he scratched the back of his neck.

"Show them to me!" you smiled.

"Uhhhh, I don't know..."

"Come on! Don't be shy!" you said as you got on your feet and pulled D.O up by his hand.

"Okay, okay," D.O said, giving into your wishes, "I'll just show you a little bit."

D.O took a step away from you and took a deep breath. He then stomped his foot on the ground and made a small crater below his foot while sending out a ring out energy around him. 

The leaves above you slightly rustled and you were slightly pushed backwards when the energy hit the trunk of the tree and your small body.

"That was so cool!" you yelled.

D.O gave you another embarrassed smile, "Can I see yours?"

"Sure!" you beamed.

D.O watched as you took a deep breath while making a big circle with your arms. As you exhaled, your whipped your arms in circles over your head, the wind visibly twisting above you. You then stopped your arms as they were pointed to your right and the both of you watched as the small tornado that your formed hit the ground and scuttled across the grass.

"Wow," D.O breathed as he watched the tornado slowly disappear.

You giggled cutely at his amazed reaction. 

"You know what?" you said as you placed your hands on your hips.

D.O turned to you and raised one of his eyebrows.

"I think we should be friends," you said proudly.

"But, you're air and I'm earth, we're pretty much complete opposites."

"So? Just because we're opposites, doesn't mean we can't be friends. Boys and girls are opposites but they still get married," you argued back.

"That's true," D.O mumbled, knowing that you were right.

You smiled up at him then started to look on the ground around you. Your eyes lit up when you found a rock laying next to the bottom of the tree. After picking up the rock, you turned and started to etch something on the trunk of the tree.

D.O tilted his head to the side, as he watched you write on the tree. When you moved away, he saw what you had written.

'D.O + ______'

"This is our pact," you stated, "that we'll be friends forever. Okay?" you stuck out your hand for D.O to shake.

D.O smiled and placed his hand in yours, "Okay."

---

"Come on!" you yelled as you tugged on D.O's hand.

"Chill out! It's not going anywhere," D.O laughed as you tried to get him to move faster. 

You continued to pull D.O across the field, only to stop when the two of you came to a single, lone tree.

"This must be it!" you exclaimed, "I'm sure of it!"

You released D.O's hand and started to walk around the base of the tree. You gasped and flew your hands over your mouth when you saw what you were looking for. A little above your head, you saw the writing that you etched onto the tree, ten years ago.

"Wow," D.O said as he came up behind you and wrapped his arms around your waist, "All this time and it's still here."

"Hey, it's our pact," you said gesturing up to the writing with one hand, "It's supposed to last forever."

"Well, it's too bad though," D.O said as he gently rocked the two of you side to side.

"Huh?" you turned your head towards D.O and asked him, confused.

"That we're not friends anymore," he said with a smile.

"You're right," you said as your turned around in his arms and wrapped your own arms around his neck, "We're way more than that."

You both smiled at each other before D.O leaned down to give you a kiss, under the shade of the tree that started it all.