Chapter 9

The Rose and its Thorns

 

[Kikwang POV]

"Ja jjang!!"

I felt the blindfold being removed from my eyes and immediately saw Dongwoon smiling like an idiot. In his arms, he held two backpacks, and had changed his clothes from a few hours ago. I narrowed my eyes and glared at the younger, still angry about the events that happened earlier. 

---

"Hyungnim~~" I heard Dongwoon's voice float out from the bathroom as he swirled into the room, collapsing on my bed and giving me big puppy eyes. I groaned, flipping over to the other side so that I was staring at a wall. "Hyungnimm~" He whined again, sitting up and bouncing on my bed a little. I hit a pillow at him, remembering when he called me hyungnim yesterday when he wanted me to lend him money. Dongwoon calling me hyungnim meant bad things.

Very. Bad. Things.

"What do you want?" I groaned, not daring to look at him and still staring at the wall. Not gonna look at him. Nope. Not once. Nope nope nope.

"Hyung~~" Dongwoon whined once more, getting off my bed and pulling me off of it. I hit the floor with an audible thud and proceeded to rub my backside, a little ticked now. I attempted to stand up but fell back down, groaning as I held my legs. They ached from the three days of practice we've had since the assignment was given to us. I pulled myself back up onto the bed, jamming a pillow over my head, still not looking at him. “Hyungnimmm~~” I knew by now Dongwoon was pouting as he got back on my bed and started jumping on it. I pushed the pillow farther over my head, but felt it ripped away by Dongwoon who face was now inches away from mine.

“Bwoh?!?! What the hell do you want Dongwoon?” I snapped kicking out at the younger boy, a smirk playing on his face as I kicked out.

“Hyungnim… Why are you being so mean?” Dongwoon pouted, getting his puppy eyes out. . Those damn puppy eyes. “Hyungnim… I just wanted to give you some tea…” Dongwoon took a can of tea out from his bag and handed it to me, a heartbroken look crossing his face.

“Mianhe, Dongwoon-ah.” I immediately felt regretful, gratefully taking the tea. I watched as a smile split his face when I took the first sip of it. It tasted kind of funny… “Dongwoon. What did you put in here?” I croaked out, my vision blurring as I felt my head get heavy.

“Mianhe, Kiki-hyung~” He giggled, and I felt my vision go black.

---

“Now where the hell are we, Dongwoon.” I stated, following Dongwoon as he walked ahead of me in the forest. The pack that Dongwoon handed to me was too heavy, too big. I wanted nothing more than to throw it off and run away from the young boy. My legs already hurt like . And now he was expecting me to keep pace with him as we trekked through a forest, one full of bugs, rocks, uneven terrain, and all things I hated. No. I was absolutely convinced now.

Dongwoon wanted to kill me.

“We’re going to climb that mountain, of course!” Dongwoon announced, pointing at a mountain in the distance, a smile wide on his face. “It’ll take around two days to get up and back, so we’ll be back a day before the exam takes place to brush up a little more on our dancing skills.” Dongwoon ran down so he was standing in front of me, extending a hand and pulling me along.

“Oh hell no. I’m going back to Seoul. Bring Hyunseung or Yoseob or someone with you, Dongwoon. I’m not going. My back aches and my legs are killing me from all the dance practice you’ve put me through the last few days. I am not going to climb some mountain now. For one thing, my legs would give out on me before we even went one hundred feet upwards, thanks to a certain someone holding dance practice day in and day out. Another thing is that I do not like to sleep outside, under any sort of cicurmstances. Finally, I don’t want to.” I huffed, shaking his arm off of me and storming back the way he dragged me.

“But Hyungg~!” Dongwoon whined, jumping on my back and causing us both to tumble to the floor. “Seungie won’t play with me and Yoseob is too busy trying to get Doojoon to not completely fail. And besides, we’re already here hyung.” He whined, pulling us up to a sitting position. His eyes were turned to the ground, his lower lip stuck out in a pout. I saw a few tears welling up in his eyes and I groaned, mentally slapping myself for being such an right now.

“Dongwoonie?” He sniffled as I said his name, still not looking at me. “Dongwoonie… I’ll… Climb the mountain with you, ne? Stop crying now.”

“Jinjja?!” He immediately perked up, all traces of him about to cry gone as he perked up. He let go of my hand and skipped away in front of me, giggling as he did so.

“YAH! SON DONGWOON!!!” I yelled after the younger, immediately taking off after him as we raced towards the mountain.

Damn him and his puppy eyes.

---

“I’m done. I’m done. I’m done, Dongwoon!” I said for the millionth time, finally sitting down on a rock. We’d been walking for seven hours straight, only stopping briefly to eat some fruit Dongwoon had packed for us. I groaned, rubbing my legs, trying to get the aches out of them. I unbuckled my backpack from me, putting it on the ground ping it, grabbing an extra jacket out of it. I rubbed my hands together in front of me, blowing on them to try and warm them up a little. I sighed, stuffing them in my jacket’s pockets.

“Alright hyung. We’re as far as I wanted to go today anyways.” Dongwoon agreed, sitting in front of me and taking his own backpack off, removing a blanket from it and wrapping it around himself.

“Wait. Dongwoon. Did you even pack a tent?” I asked, watching as he took out a few cans of what I assumed was food and another blanket.

“Nope. I thought we could sleep under the stars.” Dongwoon announced, a smile firmly planted on his face as if though he was proud of that fact.

I groaned, standing up and grabbing my canteen. “I’m gonna look for a river.” I don’t know if Dongwoon replied to me or not because I was already walking away from where we set up camp deeper into the mountain. I listened to the soft sounds of the leaves crumbling under my feet, the wind blowing slightly. The sun had already set, leaving only an eerie glow lit by the moonlight. I closed my eyes, shuddering as a wind blew fiercely from the north, sending a shiver down my spine as it did so.

I reached a river and crouched beside it, staring deep into the reflected image in front of me. Tracing a finger across the image sent small ripples in the river, distorting my face. I sighed, sitting back on my heels, wrapping my arms around my knees and burying my face into them. I closed my eyes once more, listening to the gentle sounds of the mountain. Unwrapping my arms from my knees, I crouched beside the river and screwed the lid off of my canteen, filling it up with the river water. I hoped the water was clean, at least. I returned the cap to the canteen, standing up and brushing the imaginary dirt from my jeans, heading back to where Dongwoon was.

I heard a rustling a few feet away, immediately freezing. I slowly turned to where the noise came from, my spine on edge. I listened for a few seconds more, not hearing anything. Run Kikwang! You have to run, now. In all horror movies, the one who stays is the one who dies. Immediately after I thought that, I heard another rustling from that same direction, let out a shrill scream, and ran. I continued screaming as my legs took my away from that place, and I would’ve made it back to camp in one piece.

If it hadn’t been for that log.

Conveniently placed directly in my way.

Causing me to fall.

On my face.

And coating me.

In dirt.

And also causing my ankle to twist in a way which ankles aren’t supposed to turn. Ever. I groaned, pulling myself along the dirt with my forearms only, still trying to get away from whatever that noise was. I saw the light of the fire, and struggled to my feet, a limp prominent in my walk because of my ankle. I groaned as I entered the campsite, Dongwoon’s eyes got wide as he saw me enter.

"H-hyung!” He called out, jumping up from the log he was sitting and running to my side, wrapping my arm around his neck as he helped me limp to the log he previously occupied. “What happened hyung? You look like …” He reached for my ankle, me wincing at the pain as he did so. He shot me up an apologetic glance and handled my ankle more gently.

“Yah! Son Dongwoon! This is all your fault!” I let out a stream of curse words as he applied pressure to the inside of my ankle, the pain searing up my leg. I used my uninjured leg to kick him away, cradling my ankle in my lap, biting back the pain. “Crap. You know what this means now, Son Dongwoon, don’t you?” Dongwoon looked up at me with his big puppy eyes, his face sad as he slowly nodded. “Yes. Now we’ll be unable to perform the dance for the test, so we’ll be stuck with extra duties for the next few days. Thank you, by the way.” I stuck my tongue out at the younger, still cradling my ankle.

Dongwoon sighed, walking over to his backpack and getting a bandage out from it. He unraveled the bandage, carefully taking my ankle into his hands and began to wrap it. “Be careful!” I scolded, wincing as more pain shot through my leg. I groaned as he released my ankle, it slowly falling to the floor. I stood on one foot, holding onto Dongwoon’s shoulder for support as I hobbled over to my sleeping bag, struggling to get into it as I pulled it closer to me. Dongwoon glanced at me one more time, before he got into his sleeping bag next to mine, his breathing steadying.

It took all of a minute to find sleep overtaking me.

---

I awoke the next morning, the pain in my ankle not as great as yesterday. It’d probably be around a month before I’d be able to walk on it properly again, but at least playing the guitar didn’t require any sort of walking. I looked over to see a sleeping Dongwoon next to me, his face covered by the sleeping bag. I found myself smiling at the sleeping boy, but wiped the smile away immediately as I looked over the mountain. The sun had yet to rise, the eerie silence filling my soul. I exhaled, watching as the fog formed from my mouth, the cold mountain air chilling me to the bone. A stirring beside me brought my attention away from the horizon to Dongwoon next to me, his head poking out of the sleeping bag. He yelped as he noticed I saw him and hid back under the covers, peaking up at me with one eye.

“Dongwoon-ah… I’m not mad anymore.” I said, and his smiling face immediately popped out of the sleeping bag, his eyes shining as he looked up at me. He sat up next to me, scooting closer and laying his head on my lap, pointing out in the direction I was looking seconds earlier.

“Look! Hyung! The sun is rising!”

That was the most beautiful sunrise I’d seen in weeks.

---

It was a week after the test had happened and Dongwoon and I were stuck with extra duties for a month. I stifled a yawn as I sat in the passenger’s seat of Junhyung’s car, Doojoon busy sleeping away in the back. Junhyung had slept all day today, and by the way that Hyunseung smiled at me when he picked Dongwoon up this morning, I had a hunch that they’d gone clubbing. Again. I glanced in the rearview mirror, Doojoon still asleep. Things between him and Yoseob were the same as they had always been.

We pulled up to the club, Junhyung stopping abruptly, causing Doojoon to jerk awake, sending daggers to Junhyung.

“Yah! Treat your hyung with respect!” He snapped, putting Junhyung into a headlock, causing Junhyung to struggle against his grip. I giggled at their childishness as I wobbled out of the car. Doojoon exited a second later, allowing me to climb onto his back as Junhyung grabbed all three of the guitars from the trunk. We were still laughing about something as we entered the club to find our stage taken by six boys.

“Who the hell are they?” Junhyung cursed, watching as the boys sang and danced in perfect synchronization, their movements clear and precise. “We had tonight booked, right? Tonight we always have booked.” Their song ended, causing the crowd to erupt into cheers, the boys obviously enjoying the applause and praise. Doojoon set me down, leaving me to lean on Junhyung. He jumped up on the stage just as their second song was about to start, grabbing one of the boys by the collar of his shirt, bringing his face level to his own, earning a collective gasp from the audience.

“Who are you and what the hell are you doing on our stage?” Doojoon growled at the boy, who just calmly placed his hand on Doojoon’s.

“My name is Jung Daehyun, and I think I’ve just become your worst nightmare.”

===============================

Sorry for slow updates. x.x one word: school.

Anyways, remember Daehyun and Yongjae in the second chapter? Yep, they’re back, along with all of B.A.P.

Remember to comment and subscribe.

 

Now on a sadder note, I would like to give all my condolences to the Jang family for their loss. I can’t even imagine what Hyunseung’s going through right now, as I lost my father before I was born. But all my condolences to Hyunseung and his family. I hope Hyunseung realizes that us b2uties will always be there for him, and his B2ST brothers will be there for him forever. I just hope to see Hyunseung’s beautiful smile again.

I love you baby.

#StayStrongHyunseung