Chapter 1

The Rose and its Thorns

[Doojoon POV]

"Crap. I'm late."

I ran out of detention, hearing the teacher scream my name out as I did so. I didn't care really, though. My friends would kill me if I ruined our set tonight. I ran to the parking lot, looking for my motorcyle until I found it. I jumped on the sleek, black thing, throwing my helmet on, and zoomed out of the parking lot off towards my house. I checked my watch again. 7:04 pm. I had a little less than one hour until I had to be at the club, setting up for our set. I still had to go home, grab my guitar, change clothes, put on makeup, and then make the thirty-minute drive from my house to the club. I cursed again, counting my lucky stars that I would be able to make in on time, and that Junhyung wouldn't have another hissy-fit like a little girl.

I pulled up in front of my house. 7:10 pm. I groaned again, running inside the house and up the stairs to my room. I think my mom shouted at me to take off my shoes at the entrance, but I wasn't sure. I just needed to get ready. I threw open the door to my room, peeling my uniform off and rushing into my closet, taking out a pair of white skinny jeans along with a gray v-neck and vest. I put the clothes on, grabbing my eyeliner and concealer and rushing into the bathroom. I quickly applied the concealer, rubbing it over the bags that were under my eyes. I groaned, as I took the cap off my eyeliner and began to line my top lid. I did the same to my bottom, poking my eye once in the process. I ran out of the bathroom, running over to my dresser, putting in my diamond studs. I threw on a few necklaces, and a hanful of bracelets, along with my black studded gloves. Grabbing a hold of my white and black electric, I ran downstairs, slipping into my black Jim Rickey's, uttering my goodbyes to my parents and siblings as I left the house.

7:33 pm.

.

I finished zipping up my guitar's case, slinging it over my shoulders and turning the ignition on my bike. I strapped my helmet on and zoomed off to the club where we were going to be playing. I prayed that I would be able to make it on time.

Of course there would be an accident on my way to the club. I groaned, turning on my motorcyle and looking for the alternative route. I checked my watch again. 8:05 pm.

I'm late.

I sped up more, mentally cursing out my teachers as I did so. I arrived at the club. 8:30 pm. I let a stream of curse words out as I heard my band begin to play the first chords of our first song for this set. They had always assumed I'd be late. I turned of my bike, running into the club and and taking my guitar out of its case as I plugged it into the amp. Junhyung glared at me, his hands luckily occupied with playing the bass in his hands. I ran onto the stage, the crowd cheering as I'd made it just in time for when my part was in the song.

"From the get-go I knew this was hard, to hold. Like a crash the whole spun out of control. Oh, on a wire, we were dancin'. Two kids no consequences. Pull the trigger, without thinkin'. There's only one way down this road."

The cheers got louder as the music built up to the chorus, the glare finally out of Junhyung's eyes.

"It was like a time bomb, set into motion. We knew that we were destined to explode. And if I have to pull you out of the wreckage, you know I'm never gonna let you go. We're like a time bomb. Gonna lose it. Let's diffuse it. Baby we're like a time bomb. But I need it. Wouldn't have it, any other way."

We finished our song, the crowd going crazy by the time we were done. I sighed and leaned into the microphone.

"How'd you guys like that one?" The screams got even louder, the fans cheering my name. I soaked up the glory, my eyes sparkling. "Well then you'll love this one."

The guitar part began, but not my part. I looked over to see Kikwang, our guitarist, enjoying the love as well, him standing on the edge of the stage. He moved back to behind his microphone, this song requiring two vocals.

"Dare me to jump off this jersey bridge." "I bet you never had a friday night like this." "Pick it up, pick it up. Let's raise our hands." "I look up to sky and I see red." "For the cancer. Red for the wealthy. Red for the drink that's mixed with suicide. Everything red."

Kikwang took command of the stage as it was his solo part now.

"Please won't you push me for the last time.  Let's scream until there's nothing left. So sick of playing I don't want this anymore. The thought of you's no f***** fun. You want a martyr? I'll be one. Because enough's enough, and we're done."

"You told me think about it well I did. Now I don't wanna feel a thing anymore. I'm tired of begging for the things that I want. I'm over sleeping like a dog on the floor."

We finished that song, going on to playing five more songs for our set, the crowd absolutely insane by the time we finished.

"Thank you all for coming tonight. I'll see you next time." I walked backstage, the cheers following me off the stage. I was bending down to put my guitar back into its case when Kikwang tackled me from behind.

"Hyung!!!! You were late. Again." He whined, pounding my back with his fists. I chuckled, pushing the smaller and younger boy  off my back.

"Mian, Kiki." I said, looking up to see Junhyung and Lee Joon, our drummer, walking our way. I could tell Joon was furious.

"Yah! Do you realize how bad that would've been if you hadn't showed up, Doojoon? This is the fifth time this month you've almost ruined one of our sets." He was fuming mad, madder than I had ever seen him before.

"Mianhe, Joon-ah. I was-"

"No. No more excuses. I'm done playing games with you guys. If you aren't going to take this seriously, then I quit. Aish." Joon stormed off, earning me a smack behind the head from Junhyung.

"Yah! What was that for?"

"Thanks to you and your stupidity, we no longer have a drummer. Aish. That's the second drummer we've already had this month."

I threw my arms around the shoulders of Kikwang and Junhyung, letting out a laugh and messing their hair up. "At least you guys won't leave me, right?"

"Don't be so sure, Doojoon." But I could tell by the smirk on Junhyung's face that he was just kidding.

"Anyways, Hyung~!" Kikwang said again, ducking out of my arm and standing in front of me, a wide grin on his face. "Tomorrows the day for auditions to Cube High! We have to go hyung!!"

"Anio~" I pouted, bending over and finishing zipping up the guitar case. "I don't want to. You know how I am Kikwang. If we go to that audition, they'll just mold us into idols. They'll have us sing the same crap we hear on the radio everyday. We'll no longer be a band. Besides, who wants to be famous?"

Kikwang pouted out his lower lip, letting out a humph and crossing his arms over his chest. "Mianhe, Kiki-ah." I said, wrapping him in my arms. I knew Kikwang couldn't stay mad for long, as he soon was returning the hug. I smiled, but was pulled away from Kiki by Junhyung.

"Anyways, before Joon stormed off, I was coming to tell you that we have another gig. Tomorrow." Junhyung shoved an address into my hand, and told me to be there at 11 am.

"Jinjja?!" I said, looking at the address and smiling. "You see, Kiki? We couldn't have gone to that audition even if we wanted to."

We said our goodbyes and went our seperate ways, a goofy grin plastered on my face as I rode home.

------

I arrived at the location Junhyung had told me to go to, but there was a really big line of people at the entrance. I spotted Junhyung and Kikwang near the entrance in the line and ran up to them, ducking under the rope to get to them. I looked up and noticed that all the staff that was roaming around had Cube logos on their nametags. I noticed that all of the others in line had numbers pinned to their backs. Kikwang and Junhyung had those same numbers on their backs as well.

"Yah!" I hit Junhyung lightly on the back of his head. "You said no audition."

"But hyung." Kikwang's words were cut short by the speaker asking for numbers 101, 102, and 103.

"That's us. Come on." Junhyung shoved the number 101 at me and dragged me inside.

I scoffed as we stood in front of the panel of judges, all of varying ages. I recognized one of them as a member of Cube's established group 4Minute. I think her name was Hyuna. She sat on the far right. The one next to her was a man who was balding on top. The one in the middle was the CEO of Cube Entertainment, I assumed. The next one was another teacher I assumed, and the one on the far left was a member of Cube's other established group BTOB. I think his name was Eunkwang.

"Numbers 101, 102, and 103. Yoon Doojoon, Yong Junhyung, and Lee Kikwang. You may begin." The one in the middle said. I bit back some choice words as Kikwang and Junhyung looked at me expectantly.

I guess you don't always have to win.

I ped my guitar case and plugged my guitar into the amp. Junhyung and Kikwang mirrored my actions, a smile present on both their faces as they did so. I strummed the first chord of the song we had written first together. Junhyung and Kikwang knew immediately what song I had chosen, and didn't miss a beat as they played with me.

"Manage me, I'm a mess. Turn a page, I'm a book. Half unread. I wanna be laughed at, laughed with, just because. I wanna feel weightless, and that should be enough. But I'm stuck in this f***** rut, waitin on a second hand pick me up. And I'm over, getting older. If I could just find the time, then I would never let another day go by. I'm over, getting old."

I felt my body relaxing as I got into the song, forgetting this was an audition at all.

"Maybe it's not my weekend, but it's gonna be my year. And I'm so sick of watching while the minutes pass and I go nowhere. This is my reaction, to everything I fear. 'Cause I've been going crazy I don't wanna waste another minute, here."

We finished off our song, a smile on all of our faces. Hyuna and Eunkwang began to clap immediately, the one in the middle had a smug grin on his face.

"Well, Numbers 101, 102, and 103. Welcome to United Cube High."

What the hell did I get myself into?

============================

Thank you so much for reading~! ^^

The songs I used were Time Bomb - All Time Low, King for a Day - Pierce the Veil ft. Kellin Quinn, and Weightless - All Time Low.

If you listen to them, fair warning, King for a Day is screamo. ^^

Remember to comment and suscribe~! Yoseob's POV should be out later today. ^^