Chapter 1

Monster

Chapter 1

 

Taking a deep breath, a young man opened his eyes and slowly let out a deep breath. He hated doing this, stepping out of his comfort zone into the world so frightening to him. He asked himself this question a thousand times now, why him? but it did no good. No one has the answer to that question.
 

The young man groaned as he lazily got out of his bed. He went to the bathroom with his gaze avoiding the mirror. He wished to remove that thing from the whole house, but his mother insisted for him to have one, just in case. He wondered what case it would be, but he kept one in the bathroom just to please him.
 

“Minnie, honey, hurry up! You are going to be late for school!” His mother, Kim Jaejoong, shouts.
 

Not bothering to answer, Changmin rolled his eyes at his mother and continued walking past the mirror. He brushed his teeth with closed eyes and left his hair as it is. He doesn’t want to comb it because then he would have to look at the mirror.
 

He’s scared of what the mirror might show him.
 

“Minnie!” Jaejoong screamed once again, and Changmin finally sighed, rushing to the kitchen.
 

“Stop being so noisy in the morning,” Changmin replied to his mother as he stuffed a piece of toast to his mouth.
 

“Aigo this child,” Jaejoong shook his head, his forehead twisted in knots. “Where did you learn such manner?”
 

“Appa.”
 

“What did I do?” Jung Yunho finally looked up from the paper, he was reading to see his pouting wife. “What is it, jagiya?”
 

“Don’t jagiya me... Do something about your son!” Jaejoong scolded his husband with fiery eyes.
 

“My son?” Yunho crooked one of his eyebrows. “Isn’t he YOURS too?”
 

“No, not when he behaves like this.” Jaejoong simply said.
 

“Right, so when he excel in class and be the nice guy you wanted him to be... he is YOUR son. However, when he does the opposite, he is mine.” Yunho pointing out what his wife exactly meant.
 

“You got it.” Jaejoong nodded, his smile gleaming with triumph in his eyes.
 

“I think I’m adopted.” Changmin sighed, earning glares from both of his parents. Rolling his eyes, he finished what was left for breakfast and grabbed his backpack. “I’m leaving!”
 

“Be home for dinner!” Jaejoong warned.
 

“As if I’m going to miss your cooking!” Changmin replied as the front door closed.
 

Changmin walked to the bus stop. He hated going outside his house. No, wait, he hated being around people, even inside his own house, even his own parents. Humans are scary, but Changmin has special eyes that allows him to see past the physical barrier. He could see human all the way through the content of their heart, as it is reflected by it.
 

It is his secret, though.
 

Ten minutes later, the public bus arrived. He stepped inside the bus and walked through the seats of the passengers. He preferred to sit in the far back of the bus because it was easy for him to avoid looking at the glass or any kind of objects that can reflect his shadow. Also, from the back seat, he could see all the passengers inside the bus and be more cautious. He had to be cautious all the time because, really, they are everywhere.
 

They, or monsters, as Changmin narrated them as since he was little, are everywhere.
 

It wasn’t Boogie Man under the bed kind of monster, no, it was scarier. They cling on humans and feed on their negative emotion. People with bad temper would have the scariest monster clinging on their back. Changmin had to avoid those kinds of people because they are dangerous. The monsters can control that kind of people and make them do bad, evil things. However, no one believes him that there are monsters; not even his own parents. They think he watches too much animes or television shows. Changmin learned that no matter how scary those monsters were, he should keep it all to himself.
 

To his relief, the passenger for that morning had no scary monsters, just small ones the size of a fist. As the public bus passed each neighborhood, Changmin could see monsters on the people outside the bus. Jealousy, anger, envy...and all those other bitter feelings, such a disturbing view. The monster for jealousy would mostly be purple with pointy teeth. Anger would be red and big. Envy would be green and nasty. The worse would be when all of those were combined, creating evil that can harm just anyone. Changmin shivered at the scary sight. He finally took out his ipod and distracted himself with loud music that blasted through the tiny earphones. He closed his eyes shut as he allowed the music to overpower his body and swayed his head to the beat.
 

The bus finally made a stop in front of Shinhwa University, the university where Changmin majors in Performing Arts. In front of the school’s gate, his friend, Kim Junsu, was already waiting for him.
 

With friendly wave and warm smile, Junsu called him in his not-so favorite nickname. “MINNIE!” His mother started it, really. At first he thought, ‘Oh what a cute name’ but later on when he got older he started hating it, it doesn't really suits his image. He’s old enough for such kiddie nickname, but Junsu seemed to like it and refused to stop calling him Minnie. He finally gave up because no one can really stop Junsu from doing something. Shaking the thoughts away, Changmin grabbed for his bag and immediately rushed out of the bus because a monster was staring at him with an evil smirk.

 

He walked up to Junsu, however, left a little gap between him and his friend. “Hey.” He weakly smiled back at his friend.
 

“C’mon, class is about to start soon.” Junsu tried to grab Changmin’s hand, but Changmin took an involuntary step back, shaking his head.
 

Junsu frowned, “What’s wrong, Min?”
 

Changmin shivered as he saw that big red monster clinging onto his friend’s back. Why, oh why, are they everywhere?! He wondered to himself as he tried to conceal how terrified he was. “Nothing.” He said with a small smile. “Did something annoying happen this morning?” He asked instead.
 

“Ah, yeah...” Junsu pouted. “Hyukjae made me angry at soccer practice this morning. Gosh, it’s still pissing me off!”

 

Changmin swallowed as he saw that monster slowly feeding off the negative energy from Junsu, it slightly grew bigger as it feed. “O-okay, cheer up! I’ll buy you ice cream later, okay? Just forgive him!”
 

“Really?” Junsu’s scowl turned into a grin. “You’re the best!”
 

The monster on Junsu’s back grew smaller until it was only the size of his fist, no longer dangerous. Changmin sighed in relief and thanked the universe Junsu is so easy to figure out. They headed to the class together and took their seats in the classroom.
 

Hyukjae came running into the classroom with his boyfriend in tow, Lee Donghae. “Su, I’m sorry!” He immediately apologized to his best friend. “I won’t ditch you again for Fishy.”
 

Junsu rolled his eyes at his best friend and sighed. “It’s okay, I guess. Your boyfriend is more important than our friendship and practice, anyway.”
 

“Eh?” Hyukjae was shocked to hear his best friend’s words. “You’re wrong, Kim Junsu. It’s true that Lee Donghae is important to me but I still love you as I love soccer.”
 

“I-I’m sorry.” Donghae hesitantly added as well. “I was selfish to take Monkey away when you need to practice. Will you forgive us?” He pursed his lips in a cute way only Hyukjae can take.
 

Junsu heaved a sigh and nodded his head as he accepted the apology. Then the little red monster continued to reduce in size until it was the size of a thumb. Even though the monsters reduce in size, they never really disappear. Changmin guessed it was because people don’t just get over an emotion. Although it fades, it stays there somewhere inside human heart.
 

Changmin heaved a sigh as well and said, “About time you two apologize. That was selfish of you.”
 

“I can’t help it.” Donghae blushes. “Just watching him out in the fields with shorts like that and kicking that damn ball... How can you not get turn on?”
 

Changmin frowned in disgust as a lust monster crawled up Donghae’s back. The monster might be the least scary because it was pink, but it is Changmin’s least favorite. “Disgusting Hae, please save that to yourself.”
 

“Sorry, man.” Donghae smiled sheepishly, and the monster reduced in size again.
 

“Awe... This makes me want to have a boyfriend now.” Junsu envied the lovers, although more like ‘disgusting’ couple to Changmin. Then another monster appeared behind him once again. However, this time the monster is green and nasty. Envy.
 

Changmin moves his chair a little far from where his friend was sitting at. He kept on staring at the nasty monster as it fed from his friend’s negative energy. He gulped as he thought of a way on how to make this monster vanish before class starts. However, as he glanced on the door, a new professor he didn’t recognized walked into the room. The man was young, unlike those other old and boring lecturers, with dimple equipped smile and charming attitude. Junsu noticed the new professor as well and the monster was suddenly gone, the jealousy he felt before went forgotten.
 

“Good morning class, my name is Park Yoochun.” The young man slightly bowed as a greeting. “I will be your professor for the time being until Mrs. Lee is back from her pregnancy leave.”
 

“Oh my god, Minnie! He’s so handsome!” Junsu whispered and nudged Changmin with his elbow, but Changmin couldn’t take his eyes off Professor Park. Other than the charming attitude, something else made Changmin highly curious about and rather surprised by the professor.
 

He had no monster on his back.
 

At all.