I Dare You

Venus

Chapter 2:

There werethose moments in life, te extremely embarrassing ones, the ones that make you want to cry. Those moments where the whole world seems to stop and watch you with a calculating eye. And then those moments when you realize you are ing screwed.

It was one thing for someone in my same year, a junior, from a different class to casually walk into our classroom. And it was an entirely different thing for a sophomore to stroll in and stare straight at you. Correction. Glare.

Everyone halted and shifted their gazes to my seat.

Yes that moment. When Kim Jongin strutted into myclassroom, holding the coffee stained shirt in his hand.

The fact that it was him walking in made everything infinitely worse. What was it about him that made people shiver in their seats, stare at whoever was his prey and comply with his glaring.

What was it?

I shook my head in confusion. My wide eyes tried to calcutlate his steps. My jaw was slightly ajar but I managed to quickly close it. My lips were seconds from quivering so I bit in an attempt to calm them.

No, I wasn't scared of Jongin. But I was scared of what everyone else thought of me. Actually, not their thoughts but the actions that the thoughts would lead to. Kids could be so brash, so unpredictable when they were blinded by anger or strong emotions, emotions which were now directed towards me.

Enemy of Kai = Enemy of everyone else.

But why? What was it about him? He wasn't particularly scary. Jongin was lean, muscular but lean. He didn't necessarily have a dead look in his eye, just a deadly calm look.

As the teen walked into the room my classmates stared with eyes practically glued open. He strutted forward calmly. He still held no emotion in his face that I could possibly trace.

There was a seat in front of my desk and he sat in the chair so the back of the chair was in front of his chest. Very slowly he brought the shirt upwards so it was eyelevel with me and then dropped it on my desk.

"What do you want me to do about that?" I managed to say, still glaring at him, silently cursing myself for not thinking before I spoke.

Kai raised one, questioning eyebrow.

"Fix it," He merely said and everyone in the room held their breath.

It was getting ing annoying with everyone watching me. I wasn't the attention seeker type.

I breathed heavily due to my nerves from being observed by so many. Jongin really wasn't my biggest fear. It was the way everyone was staring at me as if I'd committed murder. They were absolutely horrified.

Terrible. They didn't even know what happened. It reminded me of a dramatic paparazzi.

I glanced at his styled hair and perfect appearance. Even though we all wore the same uniform and his was loosely worn, he still looked very clean kept. It was definitely his hair that made it appear this way. I started to wonder if it was just his bed hair because people didn't usual stick their hair up as he did.

"You're rich aren't you?" I assumed. "Go get it dry-cleaned or something. Or just buy a new one."

Kai still kept the same look on his face, unfazed by my orders.

"Yah," He whispered. "Do you really think you're in the position to be making any demands?"

He was referring to the students that were all suddenly glaring at me. Oh so he knew that the students were in the palm of his hand? I hoped he didn't think that I believed that bull. No one here was truly loyal.

I shot upwards angrily, shucking the shirt to the ground and squinting at Kai. Then I proceeded to stomp all over the uniform that was already soiled with the coffee stain, only stopping when I could see a defined foot print on the white color.

"Tell me to fix it again!" I cried. "I dare you!"

Kai briefly looked at me, then glanced downwards and then he looked back into my eyes. I thought that he was ashamed for a second.

And then he flipped me off.

"Oh you're-"

"Class! Everyone sit down!" The teacher suddenly walked into the room. Jongin hastily got up but proceeded to casually walk away, almost as if he wanted to mock me.

I felt ready to completely blow up, smash his perfect little figure into smithereens...which I probably couldn't do anyway considering I wasn't necessarily strong. Okay I was ing weak. But the idea of hurting was becoming more prominent in my mind and I actually felt like considering it.

Throughout the class, the presence of Kai's stained shirt was bothering more than the stares of my classmates. It sat on the floor lifelessly, taunting me every time I had to look down at my notebook to write something down. It ing was just there in the corner of my eye. The ringing of the bell reminded me I had more things to worry about than killing Kim Jongin.

This kid.

"Yah! How dare you do that to Kai?!" A girl squealed as we were leaving the classroom.

It took me by surprise and I whipped around to face her. Almost sighing in response.

"You mean Jongin-ssi?" I questioned, refusing to call him whatever anyone else did.

"B-Bwoh?" She responded, flipping her hair. "How could you?"

I rolled my eyes at her. I didn't want to be jumping to conclusions but it seemed every goddamn girl that I knew was becoming ing annoying. It might just be the way she flipped her hair or how she said Jongin's name because I hardly got angry at girls but I was really starting to get pissed.

"How could I?" I answered. "How could you? What is it about him that makes him a god?"

The girl, Haeji, bit her lip looking at me. She looked very contemplative as if she had no idea how to respond. I became suspicious.

"He's obviously...attractive," She finished, looking at the ground.

People shuffled past me, some avoiding eye contact and some just staring. I still didn't understand. Kai had been at this school only a year and everyone was wrapped around his finger already. Why?

"Really?" I wondered, an eyebrow raised.

The teacher and everyone else had already gone, leaving us alone in the relatively dimly lit classroom.

"Ugh...yeah," She quickly remarked bowing her head down so her long hair curtained over her face. As she did this she began to leave.

I suddenly grabbed her arm as gently as I could, remembering she was a girl, and pulled her into the seat next to me. I also sat down and intensly stared at her. She definitely kept a secret from me.

"Okay, seriously," I started. "What are you hiding about him?"

She quickly glanced around the room as if to making sure Kai wasn't walking around.

"Honestly," Haeji finally continued, her eyes darting towards mine, looking annoyed. "How do you not know?"

"Know what?" I demanded, feeling my stomach clench. What was it that everyone knew about him that I didn't?

"The story about where he came from." Haeji's voice was a sharp whisper now.

"Oh please," I replied, preparing to stand up. "I don't believe in stupid rumors."

"He punched a teacher and apparently beat up six guys at once!" She hissed as lowly as possible. "While yes he is attractive, we don't listen to him because we're friends with him. We just don't want to get hurt."

I narrowed my eyes and remembered Jongin's sickeningly calm expression when I spilled the coffee on his shirt and also when he walked into the classroom just an hour ago.

"We're not mad at you because you insulted someone we like," Haeji informed me. "We're mad at you because you might've just triggered his anger. He might take it out on all of us!"

I rolled my eyes at the ridiculousness and cliché situation.

"Honestly," I said. "That is grand example of bull."

"But it makes sense doesn't it?" Haeji snapped back. "Why is he so rude to everyone?"

I thought about it momentarily. It made sense that Kai had an anger issue because he was definitely overreacting at the coffee shop when I had been slow getting his drink. However, to think that he punched a teacher at his old school and beat up six kids...it was just absolutely ridiculous. But suddenly, I was curious.

"Maybe...he's just a normal, rude person." I coldly replied, getting up from my desk. "But thanks anyway."

*

At lunch, I spotted Kai sitting at a table alone. But then Kris joined him. Kai didn't even look up from his food. Headphones were stuffed into his ears and Kris didn't even say a word to him. What the hell was the point of even sitting together?

Jongin was a ing odd kid. Who just sat at lunch alone and-

"Eh, Kyungsoo-ah!" Chanyeol greeted me. "I heard about some drama that happened first hour."

I rolled my eyes once more. Students needed to stop being so worried about other people's affairs. Chanyeol was on the other side if the school. If he heard what happened already then students really needed to focus more on academics.

"It's so stupid," I argued, sighing.

"HELLO!" A happy Baekhyun charged at us and I seriously thought that Chanyeol was going to have a heart attack.

He hugged Chanyeol around the waist happily and then turned to me. I settled for just patting him on the head. I didn't want Chanyeol to set me on fire later if I hugged him.

“Come on!” Baekhyun begged. “Let’s go sit somewhere!”

His excitement wasn't helping my headache. Yes, he was my friend. Yes, we were pretty close but the whole Jongin being a total ordeal was making me too irritable . To be honest I felt like I was going to pop any minute.

“You okay?” Chanyeol asked, concerned.

“Yeah, I’m fine,” I remarked. “I’m just stressed.”

“About the talent show?” Chanyeol wondered, stabbing a piece of chicken with his fork violently until it stuck. I wondered why he wasn’t just using chopsticks.

“I told you I’m not doing that,” I replied, sighing and starting to look at my own food. I had brought a lunch because school food was absolutely out of the question. Still, even my beautiful, leftover Kimchi Spaghetti was starting to look unappetizing. And I was always hungry.

“Do it!” Baekhyun joined in, chewing on a piece of gooey candy. “I’ll do it with you!”

I glanced up at the ceiling in annoyance. Those two both knew that I hated performing in front of others. I always got so nervous. So nervous. I didn’t know what was wrong with me either. Alone in my apartment I could sing perfectly in tune but the moment someone started to listen to me I got shaken up.

So I had a feeling that I would  utterly fail during the performance.

“I don’t think so,” I informed the two boys, twirling the spaghetti up and consuming it forcefully.

Thanks to them I didn't have to only worry about Kai but now a talent show. I wasn't planning on performing in it anyway but I knew I would feel left out. If I wasn’t so ing scared of crowds, I would’ve belonged.

That talent show was done annually every year. I wanted to do it last year but I got so frightened that I couldn’t even show up.

Problems.

As we continued to eat our food not in silence I kept stealing glances of Kai eating his food, not saying a word to Kris. I was almost positive by now that they didn't even remotely like each other.

I knew I was going to have to talk to him sooner or later and just as I was about to get up to exchange words with him, the bell rang.

“Aw,” Chanyeol complained. “I didn’t get to finish my muffin.”

He sadly stuffed the whole thing into his mouth before getting up to dump his tray.

We walked out the doors back into the hall. Then we separated, waving as we went back to our lockers to change our books.

Kai’s locker was near mine. I could take the chance and-

“You little freak!”

Someone grabbed my shoulder and suddenly slammed me into the wall. It hurt more than necessary and I realized my back had hit the light switch. It was poking into it and it was very ing annoying.

I looked into the eyes, expecting Kim Jongin to be the one harassing me. But it was not. It was actually someone I’d never met in my life. It was a boy with light brown hair and pale, white skin.

“Don’t just widen those ing big eyes at me Do Kyungsoo!” Alright so he knew my name.

“Okay,” I said, narrowing my eyes then. “I don’t know you so would you please explain to me why I’m in this rather awkward situation?"

The guy holding my collar simply rolled his eyes and tilted his head, giving me a glimpse of my locker and also Kai’s locker. He stood there, listening to his music, oblivious.

I wasn't sure if he was aware Kai was in the same hallway. I knew it probably had something to do with me pissing Jongin off so it was ironically hilarious that he was doing this while Kai was unknowingly present.

“You just had to piss him off, didn't you? Why can't you be ing normal? Do you even realize that you could be putting other people in danger?” Spit flew. His face was also bright red.

“Oh god. I honestly don't understand why you're scared of him. It's not like he-"

The punch caught my lip and my tooth scraped the inside of my mouth. An explosion of pain erupted, causing my eyes to sting with tears. I didn't know that punches hurt that much. Even worse, it was attracting attention.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed one of Jongin's headphones was out and he now watched us.

Blood trickled out of the corner of my mouth, tasting metallic and unsettling. I met my attackers eyes, his hold on me still apparent.

I knew Koreans took their bullying seriously, giving Korea the highest suicide rate but this was just bull. What was it about Kai that made people go crazy.

I shook my head and roughly pushed him off me. He staggered backwards, noticing Kai now. I strutted toward Jongin, halting shortly in front of him. With a sharp motion I pointed to my lip.

“Now we’re even,” My tone was dangerously calm and my eyes remained watery because of the stinging pain from my face.

I didn't wait for his response and gruffly shoved past him, not even bothering to get my books from my locker. As I departed I knew that the witnesses were probably in some form of shock. Good.

I didn’t know that the one spill of coffee was going to cost me a punch to the face. I didn’t know that it was going to start a little war. And I didn’t know that everyone was afraid of Jongin.

But there was now a feeling that was burning in my chest. The feeling to find out who Kim Jongin exactly is.

I dared him to try to take me down.

.

.

.

Author's Note: Dear god...what's wrong with me? I'm in a mood for drama lol. My kaisoo feels are too extreme ...oh well. I hope people like drama XD Hmm...I wonder what everyone thinks what Kai's past is...comment and tell me your theories ;)