It Slipped

Venus

Chapter 1:

The aroma of coffee was something that I should've been used to. But god, it smelled so good. Every time I walked into work, the smell greeted me, filling my nostrils and sometimes even causing me to shiver in delight. It was such a good thing I worked here. Although there was little cooking to do, okay no cooking to do even though it was something I absolutely loved,  it was still a fun place to work at.

My best friend Chanyeol worked with me. He was a hyperactive, obsessive, little freak that enjoyed pleasing people, usually on accident because he was not aware of his glowing engery. But he especially likes Byun Baekhyun. In all my sixteen years of existence, I'd never met someone so hyped up about anyone that way Chanyeol fussed over Baekhyun.

It was increaingly important because literally all of our converstations always ended up coming back to Baekhyun.

"Did you see his eyeliner yesterday?" Chayeol was dreamily wiping the counters.

I shrugged, suspiciously watching him almost knock over the cappuccino he had just made.

"Yes," I answered my friend. "I saw the eyeliner he wore yesterday. He sits next to me in Pre-Calc, remember?" And I honestly do not know how he got in that class in the first place because literally asks me questions every other minute.

I was familiar with Baekhyun and so was Chanyeol. They were the two people I actually didn't mind talking to so I wondered why Chanyeol acted as if Baekhyun was some sort of untouchable celebrity when they spoke every day. They were best friends yet Chanyeol treated him as something almost more than that.

"Oh yeah," Chanyeol responded half heartedly. "I wish I was in that class too." He was still aimlessly cleaning the counter with a far out look.

"No you don't," I told him seriously. My brain was hurting just thinking about the we did in there. I honestly wondered why I attempted doing math.

"So you don't think I could just sneak in one day and sit by you guys?" Chanyeol suggested.

I just looked at him wondering if Baekhyun's presence in Chanyeol's mind was deteriating his brain matter. The more he thought about the imploring Baekhyun, the more I questioned his mental stability. Honestly.

"Watch out!" I suddenly cried, grabbing the cup of coffee as it fell off the counter.

Most of the contents remained but I was still splashed by bits of the hot liquid, causing me to flinch but not lose hold on the cup.

"Ah! Sorry!" Chanyeol apologized, running the cloth through cold water then pressing it to my fingertips. "You okay?" He wondered, looking me in the eyes with concern.

"Yeah I'm fine, I just-"

"Excuse me," A bored, drawling voice cut me off.

I straightened, glared at Chanyeol for a few seconds, and then returned my gaze to the person in front of me. The coffee that I had just saved nearly dropped out of my hands. It was Kim Jongin.

"Yes," I responded, keeping my tone even but not bothering to refrain from narrowing my eyes.

Kim Jongin. Otherwise known as Kai. I knew who he was because he was technically most popular guy in the high school. But he didn't have any friends. What the hell was with that? I seriously thought being popular was about having good looks (okay so he had that) and having many friends (which he lacked).

I knew that he hung around Wu Fan, otherwise known as Kris. But the two acted liked they hated each other too. Kris permanently looked like he wanted to kill everyone in his sight. Maybe that was why those two were friends. The rebels of society. But maybe Kai wasn't even a rebel. He just seemed to hate...everyone. Being a rebel would mean that he would have to defy someone. To defy someone requires interaction with them. Interaction with others wasn't something Kai specialized in.

But then again, I was normally an easy going person who didn't misjudge people without knowing them. Of course, judging by what I'd observed, Kai made an effort to not interact with people. I was aware his locker was near mine. He'd at least seen my face before. I was the school nerd kind of. I wasn't really a nerd nerd because math still, in a way, killed me. But I made a lot of effort.

However, getting bullied has never been a problem for me. See, in Korea it was different. In lots of situations, being smart meant being respected. And because I didn't have the total appearance of a nerd, I was normally left alone. I typically never faced the brutality of bullies and didn't plan to. And even if people did mess with me I would have none of it.

"Yah!" Kai scolded.

I crinkled my nose at his informality. I was pretty sure he was younger than me too. The audacity...

"Do you just neglect your customers?" He questioned, raising his perfect eyebrows.

His skin was chocolate brown as if sweetly kissed by the sun. His hair reatined casual curl. His lips were plump and unsmiling. And then his eyes...were so damn dark. They looked like they'd never seen the light, unlike his tan skin that seemed to be friends with the sun. But then again Kai had no friends so let's not jump to conclusions.

And I hated it to an extreme. His whole appearance. I didn't normally get annoyed by a simple appearance but I sort of couldn't handle him right now and it might've just been because my hand still felt like it was burning.

"Neglect?" I raised an eyebrow as he did in a challenging way. "Do you have patience, sir? You haven't even been standing there a minute."

Kai's expression remained emotionless and Chanyeol looked at me, eyes wide and outwardly freaking out. I almost hissed at him for making a scene.

"Yah!" He hissed quietly. "You know who you're messing with?!"

I just ignored him and returned to Jongin.

"I'm the one buying from you," Kai reasoned. "I would stop arguing now and just take my order, right?"

The way he secretly (but obviously) looked down at me fueled my anger and all I could do was widen my eyes in increasimng disbelief. Considering my eyes were large enough as they were, I probably looked like an alien.

"What's wrong with your eyes?" Kai wondered. "Is it some condition that's preventing you from serving me because I honestly am not willing to wait here much longer."

I pinched the bridge of my nose, looking up and using all my willpower not to spit on the handsome boy in front of me. The handsome rude boy.

"Ne," I responded. "I do have a condition. It's not a rare condition either. It's the condition where someone is being incredibly rude to you and you can't believe your eyes! So you just kind of sit in a state of shock contemplating whether or not you should punch the person."

Kim Jongin narrowed his eyes at me, probably unsure of whether he wanted to respond to that or not.

"Well what do you want?" I asked, trying to calm down my anger but I was clearly ready to burst.

"I'll have an iced coffee, three extra shots of expresso," Kai ordered, his face still lacking any sort of possibly human emotion.

"So you'll have a v-"

Kai cut me off.

"I really honestly don't give a   what the drink is called," He said. "Just make it. Please."

I glared at him icily and unsatisfied as I strutted over to the back to grab a cup, catching a few scared looks from Chanyeol. It was the classic you-are-so-dead-at-school-if-anyone-finds-out look.

With ferocity I shoved ice into the cup and then poured some of the coffee blend into it. After that I proceeded to insert the shots of expresso. Finally I slamed the plastic lid on top with a lack of effort and then sloppily stuck the straw through the stubborn hole.

I walked over to Kai, who was impatiently waiting and making it physically visible how impatient he felt.

"Planning on not sleeping tonight?" I guessed, my eyes wondering over to the clock. It was almost 8 pm. Why did he need three shots of expresso?

Jongin his lips and clicked his tongue in annoyance.

"Can you just give me my goddamn drink?" He inquired, blinking with frustration.

I was literally going to chuck him out a six story window but glancing down at the drink, I suddenly had a better idea in mind.

"Sure," I bit my bottom lip, glaring at him, too pissed to say more than one word without spitting hypothetical venom. I took the lid off the drink and brought it up in the space between us and then proceeded to slosh it in Kai's face and all over the front of his shirt. "There's your drink."

Chanyeol was squawking at me in the background. His exasperated squeaks probably brought me back to my senses.

I blinked a few times, realizing I had just dumped coffee on a very rude, popular boy at my high school. And if Kai told someone, which would yes require human interaction for him, I'd be dead. ing dead.

I was especially scared because the lack of reaction from Kai. He just stood there. Emotionlessly. His blank expression caused me to become very uncomfortable.

Finally, never breaking eye contact with me, he began to his white shirt. He then pulled it off completely, revealing an extremely well toned body, not that I was taking note of it due to my immense and sudden terror. He looked so calm in fact that I was begininng to wonder if he was even human.

Jongin slowly wrapped the shirt into a messy ball, still watching me with careful, calculating eyes. He then turned and walked towards the door.

And as he left, I suddenly noticed all of my surroundings. I had to. I had to remember who I was and hope to god that I didn't just do what I actually did. I was in the coffee shop that I worked at, right across the school. There were four tables with metal chairs except for a fifth one that stood out in the corner. The walls were painted yellow, with a design that made them look like they were cracked with age when they weren't.

"Earth to Kyungsoo!" Chanyeol waved his hand in front of me. "Do you realize you just kissed your school life good bye? Why couldn't you hand him the drink nicely?"

I was still in slight shock.

"I...I...He deserved it!" I finally answered. "Did you see the way he was rude to me?"

Chanyeol rolled his eyes making it noticeable that I clearly made a grave mistake.

"Well I can't wait for tomorrow to see how your chopped up body will be displayed around school," He remarked, a worried expression on his face.

I shook my head and ran my hands through my hair. I'd almost forgotten that they were burned from the coffee that Chanyeol spilled on me. The pain become increasingly noticeable.

"Ah...damn," I mumbled putting my hand under some running water. I was so distracted by ing Jongin that I neglected my wound.

I sat down watching the dark sky through the large, majestic windows of the shop. I stayed there, thinking for quite some time, sighing too often.

Chanyeol broke through my thoughts.

"Hey, we gotta close down soon," He informed me.

I looked up, realizing that it was almost nine.

"Ah...arraseo, arraseo," I answered, getting up.

That's when I was reminded of going to school. Well .  I probably would've been better off if Kai had punched me. It would've made me feel better than the strange feeling that Kai's calm, blank expression gave me. It was almost as if he expected me to respond that way.

To be honest, it was like the calm before a storm.

.

.

.

[Update: OMFG. My story's back. Yes. It disappeared when the AFF servers crashed but it's back again. Thank God. So, um all these authors notes were from a long time ago and there are about to be some updates frequently because I had chapters written while the story was gone]

Author's Note: OH! I did this. Hehehe. My Kaisoo feels are so strong right now...I had to write this. I'm kinda of...yeah. Obsessed with Kaisoo at the moment. Oh and I'll sprinkle some Baekyeol here and there. So anyway, feel free to correct me on any confusion in here. Sorry, lol I'm white so I don't speak Korean fluently. Like actually at all. I take Chinese so I should make something with lots of Exo M lol. Oh well. I hope you enjoy the first chapter! Review....er...comment to tell me your opinions! Ahah sorry I was using fanfiction.net terms.