Bom

Walking on Sunshine

 

Two.

 

BOM

 

Since the accident, I had been stuck at my apartment. My boss who was one of the revered events organizer in the city was kind enough to let me go on a leave and only to return to my job as her reliable secretary if I was positive enough that I could. It had been a month, and I still couldn't. To be honest, I wasn’t confident I have a work to go back to at the end of this huge life impediment.

 

I've been in therapy for two weeks now, rendering two to three hours, but it seemed as if nothing from my condition was improving. Well, the incessant pain in my legs and feet had disappeared, yes. But no, I still couldn't walk on my own. Which is all I ever wished for. Never mind if I couldn't run or jump. I just wanted to be able to walk again.

 

I reached out for my crutches leaning against my bedside table. I had finished reading three chapters of Matched by Ally Condie, which to be honest, I didn’t enjoy one bit. But that's probably because I wasn't in the mood to read and I was just doing it to kill time. Now boy, was I glad it was already 9:00 in the evening. Because 9:00 in the evening meant movie time. This morning, after doing a little grocery shopping, I had stopped by a video rental shop and borrowed three DVD’s—The Losers, What's Your Number, and Captain America. Guess what the common denominator is. Right, Chris Evans. I just have the biggest crush on him. Who doesn't? The guy's oozing with lip-biting, insane hotness. I swear if I see him, I'm going to melt as fast as a snowflake.

 

Just as I was about to settle on the couch with a bag of Doritos clamped between my teeth, I heard a knock. I let the Doritos drop, dragged myself until I reached the door, opened it, and got a big surprise to see my new neighbor, Seunghyun.

 

“Hi,” he said shyly. His clothes were different now from what he wore this morning; it was more casual, more house-y. His hair was also wet, and I assumed he must have just taken a shower. Yes, he must have had coz he was reeking with the scent of his soap. I furtively sniffed it. No idea what exactly it was, but it damn smelled nice.

 

“Hi,” I greeted him back, holding on to my crutches as tight as I could. Or else I'd fall. It’s bad enough that my legs and feet are debilitated, it’s worse if my knees—perfectly fine—would buckle. “Do you need anything?”

 

He held a tiny box up and handed it out to me. “I just want to give you this.”

 

I was completely surprised, not expecting the deed and the gift. “Oh, wow, thank you.” I couldn't take it from him though because my hands were full, what with them gripping my crutches. “Uh, do you mind if you put that inside? As you can see, I can't...”

 

“Sure.” He walked in, heading for my little dining table.

 

“What is that, by the way?” I asked, following him.

 

“Cupcake. Just a little thank you for making me feel welcome.”

 

“Aw, you didn't have to. Neighbors are supposed to do that. And you don't have anything to worry around here. Everyone on this floor is nice.”

 

“I can see that.” He gestured at me, and I was flattered.

 

Okay, erase that. I wasn’t really flattered. I still felt a little guilty. After all, I did deliberately push the other button back at the elevator when he tried to request for me to hold it up. Clearly, there was nothing to thank me for there.

 

“Uh, maybe I should leave,” he suddenly said and I was instantly blown out of my musings. “You must be resting. I'm sorry I—”

 

“No, it's okay,” I quickly refuted. “Actually, I'm just about to start a movie, and I...I don't mind having company. I mean if you're interested and you're not tired yourself considering that you must have just come home from work, you could watch a movie with me.”

 

Okay, that was a long sentence. And I didn't really remember if it made any sense.

 

But Seunghyun beamed so I guess it did. “Sure, I don't have work tomorrow anyway.”

 

I cropped up a smile. For the first time, I thought, this night wouldn't be a boring one. 

 

 

~*~