Bom

Walking on Sunshine

 

Three.

 

BOM

 

I was supposed to be on therapy the following day, but according to Myka, my therapist’s secretary, Dr. Gong had to fly to his hometown for a very urgent family call. I groaned when I hung up my phone, utterly disappointed. Therapy sessions were one of those things I look forward to (not that I enjoy them that much but I have to attend them anyways if I badly wanted to walk again). It gives me the reason to leave my apartment.

 

But wait. Just because therapy wasn’t happening didn’t mean I can’t leave, right? Of course I still can! Screw ‘resting.’ Incapacitated legs won’t get in the way of me and what the world has to offer me today.

 

About half an hour later, I found myself inside the mall. I couldn’t really think of anything to buy at the moment so I just loitered around. Besides, being currently out of work, I have to minimize my expenses or I’d end up exhausting all my savings and then next thing I know, I’ll be poorer than a hobo with a rickety grocery cart full of garbage.

 

I didn’t want that. Definitely.

 

While lurking, I came across this pastry shop. The logo—two red cherries half-dipped in chocolate—at the signage, reminded me of the cupcake Seungyun gave me last night. This must be where he bought it, which to be honest was amazingly scrumptious. Finding myself salivating from just the thought of that cupcake, I decided to go in and buy myself one; perhaps explore another flavor.

 

I fell in the long line and while waiting, I perused the different pictures of pastries hanging on the walls. I fought the urge to let drool seep out of my mouth. I didn’t want to add “nutcase” and “disgusting” to the list of people’s first impression of me. “Disabled” was enough.

 

But something caught my eye. Or rather someone—someone I know. Hurriedly, I shifted my eyes from that person to somewhere. Anywhere! As long as it’s not him. Unfortunately, pretending I didn’t see him didn’t quite hinder him from going up and talking to me.

 

“Hey, Bom.”

 

Siwon was my ex-boyfriend. He broke up with me right before I had my accident. Not that I’m blaming him but if my eyes weren’t bleary from the tears I chucked out when he decided to end our relationship, I would have seen that black Elantra about to hit me. And then I wouldn’t have woken up in a hospital and left in a week just to go home with a wheelchair and a pair of crutches. I would be standing, just like he was right now next to me.

 

But you know what’s worse? All along he had this belief that I intentionally let myself get hit by a car because I couldn’t accept what had become of us. He even recommended a shrink when he visited me at the hospital to “hopefully lessen your suicidal ideations that were triggered from our break-up, and then eventually accept the fact that I don’t love you anymore.”

 

Idiot.

 

He smiled at me, but his eyes clearly darted of pity. And I hated it. I hated him.

 

“Get lost, Siwon,” I said, trying to keep the fury brewing inside of me from totally manifesting. My attention flew to the table he just came from and I saw that he was with someone. A girl. Gorgeous, if I may describe her. “Why don’t you just go back to your new girlfriend.”

 

He sighed defeatedly. “I’m just trying to be friendly, Bom.”

 

He walked away and as much as I hate to admit this, I felt guilty. Ugh. Why does he have to make it look like I was the villain?

 

Losing my appetite for the cupcake, I left the line, left the pastry shop, and then left the mall.

 

~*~

Thank you for reading.

And in case you're wondering why this fic has short chapters, that's because
writing short chapters work for me. Sometimes.