Bom

Walking on Sunshine

 

 

Ten.

 

BOM

 

"Say it's true, there's nothing like me and you 
Not alone, tell me you feel it too."

 

When Mai and Soohwan began to dance, almost every guest followed suit. They pulled a partner and intimately swayed to the song with arms enclosed around each other. Among the dancing couples were Seunghyun and Yoona. Something instantly brewed inside my chest. Hurt? And it crawled to my throat I almost choked. But I didn’t let it get the better of me. I continued singing, shifting my attention back to the keyboard and promising not to look at Seunghyun and Yoona again.
 

"And I would runaway 
I would runaway, yeah."

 

But I couldn’t help it. So I lifted my chin to take another glimpse of him, only to discover that he was looking back at me.
 

"I would runaway 
I would runaway with you."

 

Right then our gazes locked, and in that spellbinding moment it was rather astonishing that I didn’t forget the notes, the words, the melody. Because surely, I could drown in his eyes and get lost in them. But if anything, singing the particular song had become more than just about singing it for Soohwan and his guests. It was like I was pleading. To Seunghyun. With the help of the lyrics.
 

"Cause I have fallen in love with you
No, I'm never...
I'm never gonna stop falling in love, with you."


But when I realized “who was I kidding?”, I dropped my gaze back to the keys. And this time, I lodged it there until the song was finished.

 

The guests applauded my performance after and I was pleased that they were entertained. They even requested for more, but Mai, being the protective ‘mother’ that she was to me, begged off, saying that with my current wellbeing I shouldn’t be exhausted. Not surprisingly, everyone understood and agreed. And in that instance, I might have actually been grateful for Mai and her motherly instincts for me.

 

Anyway, the woman walked up to me and pushed my wheelchair to a corner—assumingly where no people could hear us. “I saw your little connection there,” she teased. “And don’t even try to deny it.”

 

I rolled my eyes. “That was nothing. And your plan failed. The only thing it proved was how Seunghyun and Yoona enjoyed being in the arms of one another.”

 

“You’re so cynical. I’m sure your angel’s voice did something to him. Besides, what does that girl have that you don’t?”

 

“A perfectly healthy pair of legs and feet?” I pointed out flatly.

 

Mai rolled her eyes this time. I could sense that she wanted to retort, but then decided to just ignore my sarcasm. “But honestly, look at him closely.” I knew Mai gestured to Seunghyun, but I refused to comply with her bid. “His smiles toward Yoona are strained. I bet he’s just putting up with her because he’s being a gentleman.”

 

“I don’t care, Mai.” I sighed. “And you know what? It’s okay. I mean so what if he doesn’t like me? Besides, I don’t really know him that much. Sure, he’s y and gorgeous, but what if underneath the good looks lie a fatally dangerous creature? Who knows if he’s really a vampire or a devil in disguise?!”

 

Mai shook her head, darting me a pathetic look. “You’re reading way too much of those fantasy novels. Fine. If that’s how you want to see it.”

 

“Do you mind if I go home already?”

 

Mai’s expression turned worried. “Are you okay?”

 

“Just a little tired.” Not really.

 

She nodded in approval. “Okay, go home.”

 

“Thanks. And you did great here. Don’t forget that.”

 

I went back to my apartment, thereafter divesting my party dress and washing my face out of make-up. Then I slid myself underneath my blanket, and before drifting off, I prayed that tomorrow wouldn’t be so heartbreaking.

 

~*~

 

Song used was Runaway by The Corrs.