Seunghyun

Walking on Sunshine

 

Thirty.

 

SEUNGHYUN

 

 

After the unexpected meeting with Bom’s old friend from the past, I must admit that I had become silent. To be honest though, I was infuriated. But I didn’t want to display much of it because I didn’t want to ruin Bom’s obviously on-cloud-nine mood.

 

Then again, she wasn’t blind or numb to not have sensed that something had gone wrong with me. So as soon as we got back to Rosemary, on our floor particularly, that’s when she asked me what my problem was.

 

And that’s also when I finally released the infuriation.

 

“What’s my problem? My problem is that you embarrassed me.”

 

Bom’s jaw dropped in sheer shock. “Embarrassed you?”

 

“You didn’t have to ask Mr. Daehyun to go over my application,” I expounded. “I mean if I did get in, what would at the department say about me? That it was only because I have a backer? A backer who happened to be the Chief of Namwon Fire Department and the best friend of my girlfriend’s father?!”

 

“And what’s wrong with that? Uncle Daehyun is family. Are you even ashamed because you have a backer, or that I helped you?”

 

I fell silent, not knowing how to answer. Maybe because I was a little guilty for both allegations.

 

“But I was just trying to help!” Bom added when I didn’t speak, her voice turning notches up.

 

“I could have handled it myself,” I argued. “Besides, it doesn’t even matter anymore now if I become a firefighter or not. I could find a different career.”

 

“But the opportunity was already there! We didn’t even ask for it. It came to us. Are you saying that we just throw that away?”

 

“It was an opportunity that I lost. Not yours, Bom.”

 

Bom pressed her lips together. She was as infuriated as I was. I bet more. “Really?! Are you flipping kidding me???”

 

I held a finger to my temple. Bom’s loud voice at the narrow hallway hit a nerve in my head and was now pulsating. “Look, I’m not saying you shouldn’t have helped. If I needed it anyway, I would have asked, wouldn’t I? And, wow, did you really have to disclose my economic standing to the man?”

 

“But that was the truth, wasn’t it?”

 

“You talk about truth when you lied about your sister!”

 

“That was a different thing! And it was for a good intention; I didn’t want him to worry about Hana! He was her godfather, after all!”

 

Fleeting silence descended upon us, but I didn’t think it was a sign that the battle was over. For all I knew, it was just a simple timeout, to gather our thoughts.

 

“Okay, you know what,” Bom began, holding her chin high, “I am the right in all of this. So. I’ll be at my apartment when you’re ready to apologize.”

 

I blinked rapidly in amazement. “Apologize? Apologize! For what?!”

 

Bom’s nose flared; her glare at me darker than the night. But she refused to say more. All she did was march to her apartment and disappear inside it.

 

“I’m not going to apologize!” I shouted at no one in particular. And the only response I earned was an audience from some neighbors’ heads poking out of their doors. Mai’s included, who shook her head and clacked her tongue, utter disappointment etched on her face.

 

---

 

That night, I tried to shrug off what happened earlier. Maybe things will be forgotten if only we’d give each other time to settle down. But night had gone by and Bom wasn’t still speaking to me. Nor was she showing any indications that she would.

 

To be honest, and though I was still somewhat mad at her, I’ve got to admit that I miss her. After spending two intimate days with her, I’ve already gotten used to being around her all the time. I wanted to bundle her up in my arms, kiss her, feel her…or even as simple as stare at her…while I silently wallow in joy because I realize how lucky I was.

 

Then again, I still refuse to say sorry. I had a point; Bom was the one who couldn’t see it.

 

Ah, but what I wouldn’t do for her? Apology she wanted? Then apology she’d get.

 

I deemed however that a simple sorry wouldn’t be good enough. So I thought of presenting roses along with it. Problem was I didn’t think there’d be a flower shop that was still open at this time—9:00 in the evening. But what the heck, I have to find something.

 

So I slipped out of Rosemary, a mission to obtain flowers running in my head. Twenty minutes of roving Namwon on foot, I found one flower shop. The lady was actually about to close up I just begged to be accommodated. Luckily, she obliged, after seeing in my eyes how sincere and urgent I appeared to be.

 

No more than ten more minutes, I had a bouquet of yellow roses in my grip. I couldn’t have been any more pleased.

 

Unfortunately, the heavens decided to create a downpour.

 

So yes, I was soaked from head to toe.

 

And the flowers? Don’t ask.

 

---

 

When I arrived back at Rosemary, all I ever did was berate myself for not bringing my car, and then wonder why all the taxis at that moment had to be occupied.

 

Why?!

 

I knocked on Bom’s door. Somehow, she knew it was me because there was an annoyed pout on . But then after a quick but thorough scrutiny of my drenched appearance, her expression completely changed.

 

“Omo! What happened to you?” She asked, tenderness tainting her features.

 

But I didn’t answer her question. I went ahead with what I came there for. “Babe, I’m so sorry for what happened earlier.” I handed the bouquet to her; she took it. “And I swear, that’s not what they looked like twenty minutes ago.”

 

I was pertaining to the flowers, of course.

 

Bom cropped up a smile. “They’re lovely anyway. Thank you.” She opened the door wide and stepped aside, signaling me to come inside.

 

I did. But I stayed a few inches away from her. “I badly want to hug you right now, but as you can see, I’m wet…”

 

“I don’t care.” She walked closer with the support of her crutch, and put her free arm around my neck. I s my arms around her waist. “You didn’t have to give me flowers, Seunghyun. All I wanted was an apology.”

 

“I know. I just thought merely saying sorry wasn’t enough.” I pulled her a little away from me so I could look into her eyes. “I’m sorry for the things I said earlier. This journey of trying to become a firefighter was a journey I took alone for months. It was something that I wanted to deal on my own because maybe I was trying to prove that I can stand without help from anyone, my family most especially. But I needed help... And that’s exactly what you gave to me but what I did in return? I accused you of embarrassing me…”

 

I bowed my head for a moment, before looking back at Bom with remorse filled in my eyes. “I’m deeply sorry… And thank you. I understand now that when you became a part of my life, you have also become a part of every journey I make. And I promise to do the same with your journeys. I love you, Bom. Please forgive me?”

 

I knew Bom was trying her best not to cry, but she did anyway. “I love you, too, Seunghyun. And yes, I forgive you. Though I’m sorry too for barging in. Seeing Uncle Daehyun again, and then knowing he was the new Chief of Namwon Fire Department…I just thought it was an opportunity to grab right away. I understand, too, that it’s probably not the way you wanted to be a firefighter, but I assumed…so I’m sorry.”

 

“Apology accepted, babe.” I grinned at her naughtily. “What do you say we engage in some hot make-up right now? I know it had only been a few hours, but I missed you so much.”

 

Bom smiled wickedly. “I did, too. Terribly!”

 

Then I swept her off her feet at the same time she let loose of her crutch that plummeted to the floor with a loud thud. Wrapping her arms around my neck, I carried her bridal style to her room.

 

After putting her down on her bed, I made sure to divest all my wet clothes off me first before joining in. While I was at it, Bom sputtered in her seductive voice, “I’m gonna make you dry with all the fire we are going to ignite, babe.”

 

I instantly paused from my stripping, a little taken aback by what she said. “Is that your way of talking dirty?”

 

Thinking she must have done something wrong, she shamefully covered her flustered face with both of her hands. “Oh, my God, I’m so sorry! I just ruined our make-up !”

 

I laughed, finally assembling beside her on her bed. Then I removed her hands away from her face, allowing her to see the reassuring smile spread across my lips. “No you didn’t ruin it, babe. It was actually y. See how I’m ?”

 

She trailed her eyes down at me before biting her lip, fighting off the urge to giggle. “I see it.”

 

Then without further ado, I took her in my arms and kissed her senseless. 

 

~*~

 

I will probably burst everyone's giddy bubble in the near future. Do NOT be prepared for it.

Thank you so much for reading and reviewing!=)))