the escape

A Very WonKyu Bicycle Love Story

 

“Sungmin? I think I need to go. It’s already getting dark and I still need to walk home. Thanks for inviting me over.”

 

                “’Ne? It’s still early. And don’t worry about getting home, I’ll bring you back. Besides, Anica just got home so maybe you can have dinner with us so we can get to know each other better.”

 

Kyuhyun would have wanted to decline further but he thought how Sungmin was being very nice to him and yeah, maybe this is really a good opportunity to get to know his new classmates better so he relented. He and Sungmin stayed in the studio trying to mix some music the smaller guy said he composed. He glided over to the only window in the room. He never thought that it would have an overlooking view of the swimming pool where Anica and Siwon are at, chatting while seemingly relaxing on the reclining seats beside the pool. Kyuhyun didn’t know why he suddenly didn’t like the view outside the window. And why his heart seemed to ache when he saw Siwon enjoying his chat with that girl. Is he being jealous? Of course not. We’re both boys and he’s just my best friend. He indignantly told himself. Then why are you feeling the way you are right now? His mind asked him. Don’t you even think that  maybe the right word is ‘resentful’ because Siwon is now focusing his attention to a girl? Whatever! He shouts to himself internally. I just found out that I hate seeing Siwon with somebody else, much more with the fact that it’s a girl that’s making him smile his glorious dimpled smile like this. Aisssh!! What the hell is this??! I’m having a debate with myself over Siwon??!

 

Kyuhyun moved away from the window, not noticing that Siwon had accidentally looked up and saw him frowning and pouting by himself a few seconds before he moved away. Huh? Kyuhyun is here too? I thought that Sungmin guy had took him home? Aah, maybe it’s a good thing that I’m here too. How would Kyuhyun go home if he leaves this place later? Public transport doesn’t seem to reach this route. Siwon was so deep in thought that he didn’t hear the girl saying something before he heard the name ‘Kyuhyun.’

 

                “What were you saying just now?” he asked.

 

                “I said, I think Sungmin also brought his new friend over.”

 

                “I thought I heard you mention a name.”

 

                “Oh. I said I think it’s that boy, Kyuhyun who got in the car when we were about to pass them by.”

 

Siwon could only mutter, “Aahh.” And act as nonchalantly as possible, not giving indication that he had already tuned out most of the words that comes out of the girl’s mouth the moment they started off from school.  Why did he find her boring when he looked forward to having a girl ride his bike for once? Maybe the way she was talking non-stop about trivial things like the new parlor she went to at the mall or the new dress she had bought or that girl she thinks has the hots for her. Or maybe the weight behind him is different or the way the other person clutches around his stomach or just the irritating girly squeal she let’s out of every time they hit a bump on the road which is quiet often because truthfully, he was testing her. If she was ever going to be a constant passenger on his bicycle she would have to be as enduring as Kyuhyun was. Oh, how he suddenly wished Kyuhyun was the one sitting behind him and holding on to him and yelping every now and then while he laughingly pedals off enjoying the sounds.

 

 

                “Dinner is served. Bring your guest in Anica.” A middle aged woman called out to the girl with Siwon.

 

                “Coming!” she shouted back not minding to show some manners. Siwon winced at the clear show of disrespect.

 

Kyuhyun had to look away so he won’t see the embarrassed look that showed on the ahjumma’s face when she got the same response from Sungmin.

 

Siwon and Kyuhyun found themselves sitting face to face in front of the dinner hosted by the cousin’s. Smiling awkwardly every now and then to indicate that they were even listening to what the other two were chattering about. They can clearly sense that both of them were already uncomfortable eating with the two. Both were relieved when dinner was finally over and they were saying their goodbyes.

 

                “Wait up. I was supposed to bring you back to your house aren’t I?” Sungmin called out to Kyuhyun who was already heading out of the house after he and Siwon said their thanks to the cousins’ and to the ahjumma and ahjussi as well.

 

Kyuhyun looked at Siwon as if asking to be rescued and Siwon got what his look meant and immediately answered. “Oh it’s alright. You don’t have to bother. We both live on the same street anyway so it’s not a problem if I’m the one to take him.”

 

                “Are you sure? I’m the one who invited him here so I think it’s just right that I take him.” Sungmin said, narrowing his eyes to Siwon.

 

Anica eagerly jumped in the conversation, shamelessly tugging Siwon’s arm. “Why don’t you stay a while longer, Siwon? I haven’t shown you my room yet.”

 

                “Uh! I forgot that Siwon and I still need to finish some report for the student council. The president won’t be very happy if we didn’t submit it first thing in the morning.”

 

                “Yeah. Right. President is very grumpy when he doesn’t get what he wants to get done a.s.a.p.” Siwon seconded while wriggling himself free from Anica.

 

The girl pouted. She wasn’t very happy with the turnout of things but at least she was able to invite Siwon to her house, she tells herself. I bet others could only dream of having him step inside their homes while I got him to have dinner here. For her that could already count as something. Like that would already make them a couple.

Siwon and Kyuhyun made their goodbyes again and dashed out of the house so Anica and Sungmin won’t have time to think of reasons to delay them further from going home. 

 

 

-tbc-