It's Summertime

A Very WonKyu Bicycle Love Story

 

A few days into the start of summer vacation, a glorious sunshiny day has started and a beaming Choi Siwon is excitedly knocking on house no. 13.

 

                “Kyuhyun!  Yoo-hoo! Kyuhyun!” he hollers out.

 

A gangly younger looking boy emerged from behind the house, top and dripping wet. Siwon didn’t exactly know what happened after the other boy appeared. All he remembers is being snapped out of his trance by someone shaking him and speaking in a somewhat irritated voice.

 

                “Hey hyung! Why is your mouth hanging open? Were you trying to have flies for breakfast?”

               

“Huh? Umm, of course not.” Siwon’s breath caught in his throat when he realized that Kyuhyun was already standing in front of him. “Why are you wet by the way?”

 

“Mom said she’ll only let me use the inflatable pool Dad just bought for me if I’d help in taking care of her garden.” Kyuhyun said as he started walking back to the back of the house knowing full well that the other boy will follow without even being invited. “I just got in when you called.”

 

And there he saw it, under the shade of the biggest tree in the property sat a rectangular inflatable pool, about three feet deep and seven feet long.

 

                “Woah!” Siwon exclaimed. “You’ll need a hell of a lot of water to fill that up.” He came alongside it and sort of tested the material’s strength by bouncing his fist on it as Kyuhyun washed his feet first before going back in the pool.

 

Siwon just stood there after Kyuhyun went back in the pool not minding the water splashing and spilling on the sides, too mesmerized at the sight to move only recovering after Kyuhyun spat a mouthful of water on his face and laughing crazily at him.

               

                “Hey! What was that about?” Siwon yelled at Kyuhyun.

 

                “You have that stupid look again, hyung. Why are you spacing out so much today, anyway?”

 

                It’s because of you. Siwon thought about answering. “It’s nothing. But look what you did. You got me wet.”

 

                “Well since you’re wet now, you might as well join me here. This pools too large for me anyway.”

 

                “You sure it’s okay with you?”

 

When Kyuhyun smilingly nods at him, he strips his shirt and threw it at the lowest branch of the tree and stepped inside the pool. They had so much fun bathing together they didn’t realize it was already noon until Kyuhyun’s mom called out.

 

                “Hey kids. Aren’t you hungry yet? I’ll just bring lunch for you out here, okay?”

 

                “Thanks mom!” Thanks auntie!” the boys chorused.

 

The boys were enjoying the lunch Kyuhyun’s mom prepared and chatted about anything and everything when Siwon remembered what he originally came here for.

 

                “Oh no!” he suddenly stood up and dashed to the front of the house. Kyuhyun followed him not really sure what got Siwon worried.

 

They found Kyuhyun’s dad in front of the house washing his car. “Glad you’re enjoying your summer time, kids.” He greeted. Siwon heaved a sigh of relief when he found the reason for his agitation was safe.

 

                “Hey! Whose bicycle is that? Did you also buy that for me Dad?” Kyuhyun asked excitedly.

 

                “I just bought you a swimming pool.”

               

                “It’s mine.” Siwon quipped shyly.

 

                “Oh.” Kyuhyun looked somewhat disappointedly at his father.

 

                “Maybe I’ll buy you one of those next time.” Kyuhyun’s dad said while continuously sponging his car.

 Kyuhyun just stood there, looking enviously at Siwon’s shiny new bicycle, willing his father to see his miserable face.

 

                “Don’t worry Kyu. I’ll let you ride mine.” Siwon said attempting to make Kyuhyun feel better.

 

                “Really?”

 

                “Of course. That’s what I came here about in the first place.” Siwon said, smiling at his friend. “I’ll just go home and take a shower first then I’ll come and get you.” He bid goodbye to Kyuhyun’s dad as well.

 

 

 

So that’s how Siwon and Kyuhyun spent their summer. Swimming in Kyuhyun’s inflatable pool in the morning and riding Siwon’s bicycle together in the afternoon, going to the hill on the edge of town overlooking the city of Seoul. Then  school days is just around the corner again.

 

                “Hey Kyu.  I have an idea. Why don’t I just come and pick you up every morning? We can go to school faster on my bicycle.” Siwon said, a few days before school started.

 

                “Huh? But isn’t your house nearer to the school than mine? You will have to go around if you have to fetch me every morning.” Kyuhyun answered.

 

                “That’s alright. It’s no trouble for me doing that at all.”

 

                “What if you just wait for me to pass by your house instead?”

 

                “Nah. I really want to pick you up so we can ride my bicycle longer.”

 

                “Well. If you insist.” Kyuhyun grinned at the taller boy.

 

 

So every school morning, Choi Siwon would get up earlier to prepare for school and to have enough time to go over to his best friend’s house and pick him up.  Sometimes, to take away the monotony of going through the same route, he’d turn to a different corner where the street goes downhill and he would scream his lungs out in utter fun while Kyuhyun hangs on to his hyung for his dear life, praying earnestly to the Lord that he’d be a very good boy if he will be spared from his friend’s madness. When they arrive in school Kyuhyun would slap the older boy’s shoulder in a show of irritation but Siwon would just laugh it off, knowing he’d easily be forgiven and the younger one would still ride with him on the way back.

And on the weekends, Siwon would let Kyuhyun drive his bicycle, contentedly curling his arm around his dongsaeng’s waist and humming No Other. 

 

 

***tbc***