Chapter 13

Winter's Melody: Broken Strings

 

Chapter 13

The Ferries Wheel Ride

 

            “Unnie!”

            Shin Hye raised her head when she saw Suzy called her name. The cheerful girl smiled at her that made her cheeks puff a little, making her cuter than ever. She saw her walking towards her way and when she reached her, Suzy gave her a tight hug.

            “Hey. Hey,” Suzy broke from their hug when Hong Ki talked, interrupting them. “What are you doing here? You are interrupting our lessons,” he said in a strict voice.

            Suzy turned to her brother and gave him a sweet smile.

            “Oppa!” she squealed, jumping a little to give Hong Ki a hug. “I missed you.”

            “Aish,” Hong Ki hissed and put his hand on Suzy’s forehead to push his sister away from him. “Go away! You missed me but it was Shin Hye you hugged first? You wouldn’t even recognize my presence if I didn’t talk.”

            Suzy laughed at her brother’s absurdity. Yes, he’s still that irascible guy, but they both find it cute when he tries to act cool and irascible.

            “Ah, oppa… You’re jealous,” Suzy grinned, teasing her brother.

            Shin Hye put her guitar back on its place and stared at the siblings. They are on Hong Ki’s studio for her usual guitar lessons when Suzy came. And she can only smile at the closeness they are sharing now. Though Hong Ki still acts irascible and mean at times, it is also undeniable that he cares now.

            “Oh, Jae Jin,” Shin Hye mumbled softly when she spotted Jae Jin standing before the door, watching the siblings laugh and tease each other. Catching his attention, Jae Jin turned to her. “What are you doing here?”

            “Ah, uhm…” Jae Jin trailed off, biting his lips. Then, he slowly walked towards their direction, awkwardly scratching his head as if he’s nervous.

            “Uh, hey,” he smiled at them, awkwardly.

            “What are you doing here?” Hong Ki repeated her question. Then his gaze shifted from Jae Jin to Suzy and back to Jae Jin again. “What are you two doing here?”

            “Uh, well, we actually came here together,” Jae Jin answered, glancing at Suzy who’s now by his side.

            Hong Ki raised his eyebrow. “Why?”

            “Uhmm…” Jae Jin trailed off once again, swallowing. “I asked Suzy to go out…”

            “Go out? You mean a date?” Shin Hye asked, smiling cheekily; her eyes glinting. It seems like these two found a good company with each other. And they do actually make a perfectly cute couple. They match each other really well. And with the kind of concern Jae Jin showed for Suzy those last chaotic moment they’ve all undergone to, it was no doubt that he genuinely cares for this pretty lady.

            “Oh yeah. Something like that,” he answered shyly.

            “You two? Going out on a date?” Hong Ki raised his eyebrows. He looked like a strict brother. “Without even asking my permission?”

            “I’m a… Uh…” Jae Jin was lost of words.

            “Oppa! You’re scaring Jae Jin!” Suzy protested with a pout. “We actually came here to tell that to you.”

            “And you really think I will allow you?”

            “Oppa…” Suzy whined, pouting her lips. Jae Jin, on the other hand, became more tensed and nervous. And for Shin Hye, it was definitely a scene to witness. They all look cute with every expression written on their faces.

            “Don’t be a mean brother, Hong Ki,” she told Hong Ki, patting him on the shoulder as she’s grinning from ear to ear.

            “Am I being mean?” Hong Ki protested. “I’m just being a responsible brother looking after his sister’s sake.”

            She laughed at Hong Ki’s words. Those were something so foreign to hear from him.

            “Oh, c’mon, Hongstar,” she rolled her eyes at him. “Don’t be overprotective, okay? And besides, Jae Jin here wouldn’t let our Suzy down, you know!” She glanced at Jae Jin and smiled at him. And when she looked at his face, Jae Jin has this thankful expression written on it.

            “Yeah, I promise I’d take care of Suzy,” Jae Jin seconded, glancing meaningfully at Suzy.

            “Okay, okay,” Hong Ki sighed, finally seeing that there’s no reason not to allow his sister. “I no longer want to play the antagonist here.”

            With that, Suzy smiled contentedly. Jae Jin, on the other hand, felt relieved and glad.

            “But, in one condition,” Hong Ki added, grinning mischievously which made the couple’s face fell.

            “What is it, hyung?” Jae Jin asked with a gulp.

            “I’ll be your chaperone,” Hong Ki smirked widely.

            “What?!” Jae Jin and Suzy said in unison.

            “What? You don’t want it? Then forget about that date.”

            “Fine, okay. It’s a deal,” Jae Jin answered, giving up on his band mate’s condition. That made Hong Ki grin and nod in satisfaction.

            “Wait! I have a better idea!” Suzy yelled enthusiastically, raising a hand. And Shin Hye could guess something is going on in Suzy’s stubborn mind. She would surely not back down on her brother’s silly idea.

            Hong Ki raised an eyebrow and Jae Jin looked at Suzy with such amazement and wonder.

            “What is it, little sis?” Hong Ki asked.

            “Since you will be my chaperone,” she started, pointing at her brother. “Jae Jin here also needs a chaperone. And that will be you,” she pointed at Shin Hye, grinning widely as if she won in lottery. “Shin Hye unnie!”

            “Uh, me?” she pointed at herself, her eyes encircling with horror and surprise. Suzy just gave her a nod while smiling at her proudly.

            “That’s not a bad idea,” Jae Jin said, nodding his head as if giving his approval. Then, he gave Suzy a charming smile.

            “But why do you have to include me?” Shin Hye protested.

            “We have to make things fair, unnie. I know Hong Ki oppa here will be over-reacting at some point, knowing that he has this ridiculous judgment about things and we therefore need someone who knows how to draw the line and make clear judgments,” Suzy said in a matter-of-factly way. “And besides, being a chaperone is so boring. I don’t want to make oppa feel boring and left out ‘coz he might be more annoying then.”

            They all laughed at Suzy’s silly explanation, except for Hong Ki who has an unpleased reaction on his face. However, Suzy’s explanation also makes some sense. She can just imagine how Hong Ki will try to interrupt his sister and band mate’s date.

            “And if oppa will be joining us, you’ll be left here alone. You don’t have anything planned but only this guitar lesson with oppa, right? You ought to have fun also with your friends sometimes,” Suzy added, convincing her.

            She stared at Hong Ki and she saw no disapproval in his eyes. And she also doesn’t see any reason to object from Suzy’s bargain.

            “Alright!” Suzy hugged her cheerfully even without hearing her answer first. She then just smiled at her and held her right hand as she pulled her out. “Let’s go!”

_________

 

            “Where could those two possibly be?” Shin Hye asked, moving her head from side to side to hopefully find a glimpse of Suzy and Jae Jin. But in a crowd like this in the amusement park, she bets it’s almost impossible to get a track of those two. She sighed.

            “Aish,” Hong Ki grumbled in frustration. They are walking side by side now, squashing themselves in between the packed crowd of the amusement park, looking for the missing two but wasn’t able to find them for about thirty minutes of searching.

When they first arrived at the amusement park, Suzy and Jae Jin urged them to try a ride, but Shin Hye refused. So did Hong Ki. So in the end, Suzy and Jae Jin insisted riding it, and they were left sitting on the bench around the corner, not far from the ride. But after long minutes of waiting, there was no sign of the two.

            “I’m tired!” Shin Hye exclaimed, throwing herself on the nearest seat she saw. “And hungry.” She stared at a stall that sells burgers, hotdogs, shakes and different refreshments, and she felt herself starving more. Only now did she realize that she actually sat in one of those tables set for those who will dine in in that food stall.

            “Let’s go buy that,” she said when Hong Ki occupied the seat in front of her, pointing to him the food that caught her attention. “I want a burger, a hotdog and a refreshingly cold huge glass of chocolate shake—ah no, make it two hotdogs!” she said, dreamily imagining all those food in her mind.

            “I guess you’re not that hungry,” Hong Ki smirked at her before he got up of his chair. “I’ll go get us all those food you want to eat,” he said as he walked his way towards the counter.

            After minutes of waiting, Hong Ki returned, holding a tray of the food he ordered for the both of them. And just like what she requested, Hong Ki did order a huge meaty burger, two hotdogs and a large glass of chocolate flavored shake for her. And he also got the same for himself, except for the flavor of shake. He purchased a strawberry flavored for himself.

            “Thanks,” she muttered happily before she bit her burger.

            “Catsup,” Hong Ki pushed near her several sachets of catsup. And she grinned happily before she laid some on her burger. She loves putting excess catsup on her burger.

            “I know you’re a er for catsup,” Hong Ki said.

            “Thanks you remember,” she said before munching on her burger again. Now, she put a rich amount of catsup on her hotdogs-on-sticks. “I guess those two would want to spend time alone together.”

            “Aish,” Hong Ki grumbled again. “But I am their chaperone. How can I keep an eye on them if they’ve escaped already?”

            “Just let them be. Don’t worry; I know Jae Jin’s gonna take care of Suzy,” she assured him with a smile.

            “I know,” he shrugged his shoulders. “But I just can't believe this. My friend, and my sister?” he shook his head in disbelief.

            She let out a chuckle. “But they look good together,” she commented. “And besides, Jae Jin is your friend. You know him all along, and you know you can entrust Suzy to him, right? And in the small time I’ve got to know him, I know that he’s a great guy. I’ve seen how he cared for Suzy. It was genuine.”

            “Yeah, I know he’s kind. Well maybe, it’s just brother’s instinct that’s taking over me now,” he said coolly.

             “Wow, I didn’t know you have such, Hongstar,” she laughed briefly, teasing him. Hong Ki just glared at her. “But don’t worry, really. I can see that Jae Jin’s serious with your sister. I can see the fondness he has in his eyes for Suzy. And I know Suzy would feel the same sooner or later,” she stated with a smile.

            “How can you say so?” Hong Ki arched his eyebrow. “Have you ever felt that feeling?”

            She stared at Hong Ki for a second and she saw curiosity written on his face. “What? Love?” She gently shook her head. “No.”

            “You mean you never had a boyfriend before?” he asked.

            She shook her head again. “No.”

            “Why?” Hong Ki asked again, sipping his own shake.

            “I don’t know. Maybe I just haven’t found the one,” she laughed at her cheesy statement, but which was really true after all. No one has ever made her feel yet that very magical feeling. And she doesn’t know if she’ll ever get the chance to feel that. But right now, that’s the last thing she has in her mind. “And besides, my dad’s too strict.”

            “Ah, I see,” Hong Ki said with a nod.

            “How about you? I bet you had a lot of girlfriends,” she asked curiously.

            “A lot,” Hong Ki grinned at her. And she just rolled her eyes at his boastfulness. “But nothing’s serious. They were all just flings.”

            “That’s very mean,” she said with a disgraced look on her face.

            “Of course not. They know my rules,” he said. “They know I don’t believe in love and commitment.”

            “And why not?” she asked without blinking an eye.

            “Well, I must admit that it has something to do with my parents’ separation. I never believed that love do exists and lasts,” he admitted. And she felt sadden with his perception. His parents’ fate really affected and almost honed his beliefs and perception about life. It didn’t only make him a sad and sorrowful person, it has also made him stuck himself in his gloomy cage and see no hope about life. But more to that, it had also made him cold and frigid towards love. It had made him see love in a way that’s far more different from the way others see it.

            Sure, not every love story ends happily. One must be hurt, someone has to shed tears, be broken; be left. But that’s all part of everyone’s journey in finding their perfect puzzle piece. And if other’s story didn’t go well, that doesn’t mean you’ll have the same fate. Love is full of variations—that is why there is no exact formula to avoid the pain and get complete happiness. And though she hasn’t ever felt that magical and unexplainable feeling, she knows that love is a feeling worth experiencing. It is a feeling every human being would want to savor.

            “But not every love story is the same as that of your parents,” she tried to reason out.

            “Yeah, I know,” he answered. “But that was before. I think that my beliefs are gradually changing now. That maybe, falling in love is not a bad idea,” he said as his glinting eyes lingered on her.

            She felt uneasy with the way her heart throbs inside her chest as Hong Ki’s eyes stared at her, as if telling her that he meant those words for her. Now, those dark brown eyes were no longer clouded with gloomy and suppressed emotions. They are now bright and sparkling, as if expressing to her the thoughts he has in his heart—his true and genuine feelings inside.

            But she has to admit that she felt happy with what he said. At least now she knows that his old and dark perception about life and love are vanishing. It’s slowly changing. And she must say that from that time she came to know Hong Ki, he has slowly changed. Little by little, he has transformed into a better man he never thought he would be. He has learned how to smile, to laugh, to let go of the pain, and to see the world in a nicer view. And she felt truly happy for him.

            “I’m glad to know that,” she said as she managed to give him a smile. “You’ve changed a lot. You’re more human now,” she grinned.

            “So I was an alien for you before,” Hong Ki snapped, playing as if he’s offended. But she just laughed it off and continued eating her last piece of hotdog.

            “Wow~ that was delicious. I’m so full,” she said afterwards, stretching her arms.

            “I will be surprised if you’ll still be hungry after that,” he grinned, teasing her. She scowled at him but he just laughed at her coolly.

            “So where are we going next?” Hong Ki asked afterwards.

            She grabbed her phone out of her pocket and checked if there was a message or a missed call coming either from Suzy or Jae Jin telling them their whereabouts. But there was none. She sighed and put her phone back.

            “I don’t know. Let’s just walk and find them, maybe?”

            Hong Ki gave her a nod and in the next minutes, they started walking again to continue their search. But in a huge place like this amusement park and with all the people gathered here, it is undoubtedly a hard quest. Yet, she must say that even just by walking, she’s enjoying her visit in the park. And with the look in the people’s faces, those huge, artistic and death-defying rides must really be worth it.

            “This is actually my first time in an amusement park,” she confessed.

            “Really?” Hong Ki’s eyes grew widened. “Seriously?”

            “Do I look like I’m fooling you?” she rolled her eyes but Hong Ki just laughed at her.

            “It’s not even funny, you know!” she scowled at him.

            “It is,” he ginned at her, amused. “I mean, it’s just strange. I thought every kid in town would have a memory in a carnival’s ride.”

            “Well, unfortunately not for me,” she said. “There were only small seasonal carnivals in our province. And I told you my dad’s strict.”

            “That strict that he hadn’t let you off for a carnival ride?” Hong Ki asked her. And when she nodded, he shook his head in disbelief. “That’s sad.”

            “I know,” she smiled at him. “I live a boring life before, you know.”

            “That’s something unexpected from you,” he said. “Well, if your dad is that strict, it was also unexpected of him to finally let you spend time alone here in Seoul.”

            She smiled at Hong Ki’s conclusion. He was absolutely right. It took her too many courage to finally persuade her dad to finally let her do the things she really would love to do and experience when she still has every time to do it.

            “Well, things happen. And when those unexpected things occur, things also changes. Beliefs changes, but love prevails,” she said meaningfully as a smile curved her lips.

            “So you mean your father changed?” Hong Ki asked with a knotted forehead.

            “Yes, I guess that’s how you call it.”

            Hong Ki smiled at her tenderly. “So, what ride would you want to try now?”

            “What?”

            “Well, you are now given this chance to enjoy the things you haven’t done before. So you better savor this moment until there is still time,” he said with an encouraging look in his face. But the meaning deep into his words struck her the most.

            “But… But I don’t want to get dizzy. Those rides are death-defying that I think I would lose all my strength,” she reasoned out.

            “Aish, you’re such a kiddo,” Hong Ki grumbled, giving her a teasing grin. “Don’t worry. Let’s go ride something that wouldn’t make you dizzy.”

            And before she could argue again, she felt Hong Ki intertwined his hands unto hers, his fingers filling up the spaces between hers. And that was more than enough to keep her mind blank for the moment. It was definitely not the first time they had held hands. She had even hugged him already. But she just can't figure out what is different with her today that her heart is thumping loud inside her chest, as she could feel flow of sparks starting from their clasped hands. But though the feeling was odd, she could not deny that it was also something perfect. And before she could even think again, Hong Ki had dragged her in front of a ride—the huge and gigantic Ferris wheel. It was good enough that the line was not that long they were able to ride on it after a few minutes. They even got one of the balloons alone for themselves.

            “This would be fun,” Hong Ki grinned when the Ferris wheel started rotating.

But deep inside her, she doesn’t know if it would really be a fun ride. She gulped when she felt their balloon slowly rising from the ground, and in no time, she could already see the whole amusement park below. She could also feel the wind blew hardly at them and that made her feel more tensed. She doesn’t know if it was a good thing that the ride was not that fast, as if it was made for sight-seeing, but she felt that any second she lasts up in the air would make her lifeless. She’s even holding her breath every time she could feel their balloon changes its position. She was totally terrified she just wanted to close her eyes, bit her lips to prevent herself from yelling, and pray that this would soon be over.

“Shin Hye, c’mon and open your eyes. Look, it’s beautiful up here,” Hong Ki said in an urging voice.

            “I… I can't,” she replied in a trembling voice. She could feel her knees trembling as the wheel rotated again. “Oh my!”

            Hong Ki chuckled seeing her tensed reaction. And Shin Hye felt she wanted to really tear up that time for she was really afraid but Hong Ki was still making fun of her. However, the fear inside her took over her that she could feel herself so stiff now.

            “Relax and enjoy the ride, Shin Hye,” he still persuaded.

            “I told you I can't!” she almost yelled those words when the wheel rotated again. She felt herself grabbing the steel bar near her tighter, wishing that this ride would soon be finished.

            Hong Ki laughed at her again. And though great fear is occupying her heart, she could still feel herself getting annoyed at him. However, that annoyance easily vanished when she felt Hong Ki’s arm enveloped her body in a soft and safeguarding way. It’s as if telling her to be not afraid.

            “Go and shout if you want. That would release the tension,” he encouraged her. And as if she was enchanted by his voice, she let out a slight yell, followed by another and another. And her shouts were getting louder every time she would feel their balloon’s movement. And true to his words, she felt herself becoming a little at ease with the ride, especially that Hong Ki is shouting with her too all throughout.

            Then, she felt Hong Ki placed his hand on her free hand, holding it as tight as he could to make her feel that he’s just by her side. And that was more than enough to comfort her. It’s as if it gave her the strength and courage she needs at the moment. And all the nervousness and fears she feels inside her heart were slowly replaced by a different sensation that starts from her chest all throughout her system—a sparkling electric feeling she hasn’t felt before.

            “Now, open your eyes,” he said in a sweet voice. And as if it was a sweet command, she slowly opened her eyes with no questions asked, only to be greeted by Hong Ki’s serene and smiling face. And she must say that Hong Ki owns the best smile she had ever seen in her entire life. And slowly, her gaze was filled with such contentment as she saw how beautiful the scenery below them is. It was breath-taking. It was relaxing. And she must admit it was fun to see almost everything in that view.

            “Beautiful,” she mumbled softly under her breath, totally forgetting that she was so scared a while ago.

            “Yeah, really beautiful,” Hong Ki agreed. And when she looked at him, she saw him looking at her with his shimmering eyes that reflect nothing but beauty.

            “Thanks,” she said as her eyes seemed to be contented gazing at his handsome face.

            Hong Ki smiled at her, and he became more dazzling in her eyes.

            “By the way, I told you I also have a gift for you last Christmas, right? But you vanished when I returned and Suzy told me you have something important to attend to,” he said.

            “Yeah,” she nodded, feeling herself choking with her words. “Something happened, that’s why. I’m sorry.”

            “It’s okay,” he smiled again at her, so true. “Anyways, here’s my gift for you. I hope you like it.” He handed her a squarish-shaped thing wrapped in colorful papers. And slowly, she tear those paper only to reveal to her the most unexpected yet the best Christmas gift she would ever receive.

            “Nickelback?” she muttered, unable to believe what she was holding.

            “Yeah, that was the album we battled for the first time we saw each other,” Hong Ki said shyly.

            “But… This is yours…”

            “And I’m giving that to you because I know you’ll love to have that,” he said. “And to tell you the truth, I know that you were the one who saw that last remaining album first so you deserve to have that,” he admitted shyly.

            “So you mean you really didn’t forget our encounter at the record store?”

            “Honestly, no,” and now, Hong Ki was more ashamed. “I never once did forget you.”

            And with that, she let out a heartily laugh, both because of Hong Ki’s uneasiness and shyness, but more because of the happiness he has brought into her heart, and her life. And before she could stop herself, she had already thrown her hands and embraced him tightly.

_____________

Omo~~ I can really imagine Hong Ki’s sweet smile over and over again and I can't help but to melt! Kyaaahh~~ hahaha^^ I hope this has also made you imagine his wonderful and heavenly smile :D

This chapter is for those who waited so badly for this update.:) Anyways, after writing such emotional chapters, writing this fluff and somehow romantic episode was tough. But nevertheless, I hope this has filled and satisfied your romantic bones. I hope you loved the chapter. ^^ And if you do, please tell me okay? Comment below and upvote if you think the story deserves it. And I would love to reply on you… :)

Thank you so much for all the support you’ve given to our shining star couple.

Spread love**

Until the next update ***Sandara wave** \(^___^)/

Comment now, please? I know you've got something to say. hehe.

And I would like to say my heartwarming thanks to everyone who up until now is supporting this, tirelessly commenting, upvoting and subscrining. You guys make me happy, really. Hope I can gate 50++ subbies and ++upvotes. Thankyou:))