Chapter 18

The Last Song I Wrote for You

 

I am a romantic.

 

I like to listen to music that talks about love.

 

That's why I'm always drawn to Red. I like to think that love can find a happy ending. Though Red's songs on his first album is about his love that seems hopeful and taking chances that his love can be return. I fell in love with his songs with that.

 

Then, his second album came. The heartbreak. Since I am a big fan of happy ending, I thought that I would dislike his new songs. But I was wrong. I even fell deeply in love with his voice. I just didn't know before how much pain it caused of knowing the one you love, love someone else. And also, still seeing the one you love as if nothing bad happens.

 

Not until now.

 

I know in my heart that I still love Jinyoung.

 

It is still there. My love for him.

 

But, as for this moment, I don't know what might happen.

 

Because a single word might change everything.

 

So I decided.

 

Think!! Yoonshi, think about something!!

 

Hurry up and think!!

 

I know I can pull off an impromptu speech that is very unrelated on what we are supposed to talk about.

 

Jinyoung,” I started, “I was wondering … what are you gonna do this winter break?” I paused a little bit “But I guess you'll be spending it with your parents. I usually do that every year. You know the feeling of being near with your family, the closeness and the happiness that are bubbling inside. Also, there's also exchanging gifts!! Do you also do that ----”

 

Yoonshi” he breathed.

 

--- the thing of exchanging gifts? I ---”

 

YOONSHI, SHUT UP!”

 

I abruptly closed my mouth.

 

God, Yoonshi. I never thought that there will be a day that I want your mouth to shut off.” he said, and he closed his eyes as if gathering some presence of mind. “When I always found you adorable talking like that.”

 

Anyway, we are supposed to talk about the other day.” he continued. “About the time you --” his cheeks began to take color and his eyes went to looked at anywhere instead meeting mine.

 

I clutched on his shirt. He looked down at my hand. I seek his eyes to meet mine.

 

My eyes begging.

 

Begging him to stop.

 

I know we'll never come to understanding the same things if I continue to act like this.

 

But... I just can't. I can't hear him telling me something that can probably hurt me.

 

I just can't.

 

I --” he started.

 

No, please.” I choked.

 

He looked at me in the eyes. I saw that he also looks conflicted about something.

 

Please, stop.” I choked again. “I don't want to hear it now.” Or never, I thought.

 

Then his hand held my face and his thumb began to brush away my tears.

 

I'm sorry.” he whispered as he continue to brush his thumb on my cheeks.

 

That's when I realized I was crying. I hurriedly turned around and wiped off my tears.

 

I laughed, nervously.

 

What's wrong with me?” I said out loud. “I don't even know why am I crying.” Then I composed my face and looked back at him.

 

What I saw surprised me. His face is full of pain and guilt. I, myself, felt guilty.

 

Hey!” I nudged him at his arm.

 

What's wrong?” I asked. “Your face shouldn't look like that. You'll grow old fast looking like that.” I told him and dragged him to walk towards the bus station.

 

He remained silent. Until the awkward moment stretched.

 

At the bus stop, suddenly my conscience kicked in.

 

Don't think about it anymore.” I mumbled, “I was shocked and surprised. And it hurts me. A little, maybe. But I'll be just fine. I'm a strong girl, you see.”

 

Then I flashed him my bright smile to tell him that everything will be alright.

 

He stared at me, bewildered.

 

In a flash, I was held in his tight embrace.

 

Thank you.” he mumbled.

 

I just know that indeed everything is alright now.

 

Still holding me in his embrace, I pointed the bus stopping in front of us.

 

Is that your bus you should be on by now?” I asked him.

 

He suddenly let go and looked at it. I mentally kicked myself for killing the moment. I already missed his warmth.

 

Yes, but never mind that. I have somebody to meet after I take you home. Maybe he'll give me a lift.”

 

Huh? I didn't get that.”

 

The 'Maybe he'll give me a lift.' part?” he grinned.

 

You're teasing me.” I complained.

 

A little bit. I missed you so can you please give me a chance to take you home?” he asked, grinning at me.

 

I blushed. “Whatever.” then I trudged my way back home with him trailing behind.

 

And then that's how my winter break began. We made up without bringing the past. I know that we're still friends and will continue to be on the following year.

 

When we reached my house, he snatched my wrist and said, “Yoonshi, I promise that when everything is clear, I'll tell you everything.”

 

I frowned, not getting what he says.

 

Merry Christmas?” he said again.

 

I grinned at him. “Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!”

 

And as he walked away, I called out again. “JINYOUNG! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR!”

 

He waved at me.

 

And everything felt wonderful.

 

A/N: Hello!! Hope that this is a long chapter for you guys!! Any chapter title for this? Can't think any yet. Anyways, hope you like it! So suggest what will happen next? Lots of love and strawberries~~