Better Than The Prize

Maid For Them
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jade’s POV

I was sitting inside a café while waiting for Henry with the drinks. He came after about a few minutes with a tray in his hand.

“So, have you found a song to sing yet?” he asked me.

I slumped down into my seat. “No…”

Sadly, I haven’t thought of anything good to sing yet. Can you imagine? I’ve been living in Korea for too long that I don’t even know the latest English song here =.=”

“Oh wait, I forgot the napkins” Henry said as he looked around the table. “Be right back”

I stayed behind & put my chin on the table as I watched him skip over to the counter.

How am I gonna find a song by this Saturday? I asked myself while looking into space. I eased back & slumped down into my chair even more.

“Got the napkins” Henry interrupted me from my thoughts. “So,” he began while sitting back down across. “got any ideas?” he asked. I just let out a deep sigh & looked down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Back At The House

I cupped my face as Yesung was busy rambling on about tips with vocal exercises & breathing techniques. I know I’m supposed to pay attention, but the thought of finding a song is still buzzing in my head.

“Jade? Are you listening?” he asked.

I didn’t pay any attention at all & suddenly asked “How can I find a good song?”

He tilted his head. “E-Eh?”

I straightened my body & looked up to him from the couch. “I can’t think of anything. What am I gonna sing this Saturday?” I asked with a bit of panic rising in me.

“Didn’t you.. think of that before?” he asked as he sat down next to me.

“…No?”

“Well you don’t have to worry about that. Just pick a song that you’re comfortable with” he advised me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Later

After dinner I went up to my room, lied down in bed, & looked up to the ceiling. I blinked a few times as I continued to think. But no matter how, it had never occurred to me about the song I’d have to sing.

“It has to be an English song” I said to myself as I continued to stare at the ceiling. “But what?”

I sat up & breathed. “I think my kpop addiction is taking over badly…”  I mumbled as I switched on my mp3.

The first song that played was SNSD’s Genie. Just then, something striked. I jumped off my bed & ran to grab a piece of paper & pen, then started to scribble down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

The Next Day

During practice with Eunhyuk, I told Yesung to come out to the garden with us so I could show him the piece I’d been working on yesterday.

He looked up from the paper & stared at me. “Jade. This is english”

“Y-Yea, but think. I can perform this song” I said as my smile began to brighten up. “I just changed the hangul lyrics to English. Waddya think?” I asked for his opinion.

He began to nod. “Not a bad idea. & hey, we can ask Ryeowook to do a remix of it!”

“Also,” Eunhyuk interrupted us. “I can try mixing up your performance so you don’t have to entirely dance just like SNSD’s Genie”

He stepped back & began explaining on what he had in mind. I couldn’t help but agree more with his idea. Yesung even pitched in & helped.

So for the past few days before the competition, I practiced.

& practiced.

& PRACTICED.

I can do this I kept telling myself.

No matter how many times I failed at the vocal lessons with Yesung, I knew that I wasn’t gonna give up.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

On the day of the competition...

 

“I CAN’T DO THIS!!!!!!”I yelled as the guys tried to pull me out from my room!

“Yah you have to!” Henry said as he grabbed my arm.  

“NOOOOOO!” I screamed while holding on to my bedroom door.

“Come on! You wanna show Ellie off, don’t you???”

“I DON’T WANT, COZ I CAAAN’T!!!!!!”

“YES YOU CAN!!!”

& with one push from Henry… BAM! I got out from my room.

“Jade Lee, you didn’t learn those lessons for nothing” Yesung scolded me. “You’re ready & you CAN do it”

“I-I can’t…” I whispered while sitting on the floor near my door.  

“Why not?” Donghae asked me after sighing a bit.

“B-Because… I… I-I’m just gonna fail. I know I will! I’m not star material” I explained as I hugged my knees.

“Jade…” Siwon came & crouched down on the floor next to me. “You’ll never know until you try… Who knows? You might just blow their minds” he gave me a little smile.

“I hope I won’t actually BLOW them away with my high pitched scream” I mumbled & looked down.

“Be thankful that your voice doesn’t sound like a hyena…” he ruffled my hair.

“Yea…” I sighed. “I’ll try… But what if I stink?” I looked up worriedly & asked.

“You won’t. Trust me” a voice said. I turned to my right & saw Heechul walking towards us. “Now come on. Show’s starting soon”

I nodded & stood up & Zhou Mi caught my arm as he gestured me to follow him. He brought me to his room. I blinked as soon as I entered.

 

“Your room is like twice as big as mine!” I said with my jaw dropped.

He didn’t reply & just grabbed something from his bed & tossed it to me. “Quick, go change into that”

“You went to find an outfit for me?” I asked, annoyed. “I told you not to!”

He put his hands in his pockets & grinned dorkily. “Be mad at Heechul”

I just rolled my eyes & left for my room.

I ped the plastic covers & inside, it revealed my performance outfit that Zhou Mi had put together. I have to say, I gasped when I saw it. It was exactly something that I’d picture f(x), SNSD, or 4minute in.

I didn’t hesitate anymore & put it on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Later

I walked out of my room & I was about to walk grab my sneakers, until Kyuhyun stopped me.

“Don’t forget these” he tossed me a pair of silver glittery heels. (Shoes)

I stared at them for a moment as I picked them up. “Where’d you get these?” I asked him; eyes still fixed on it.

“Got em at some shoe shop at the mall” he shrugged. “Thought you might need em for the show”

I sat there for a while & stared at it. “Wow… They’re beautiful” I said, then looked up to him & smiled. “Thanks”

“Yea well, go & put em on quick or you’re gonna be late” he rubbed his neck & left. I grinned to myself at his sudden ‘nice-ness’ & quickly put em on.

As I walked out the door, I asked the other guys. “Sure you don’t wanna come?”

“We have some things to do actually… if that’s ok” Zhou Mi said.

“Oh… Ok then” I said as I walked out, closing the door behind me. The only ones that were coming with me were Sungmin, Kyuhyun, Yesung, Henry, Donghae, Heechul, & Siwon. Kind weird when you think about it… What do the other guys have in plans? I mean they’re in New York! o.O

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Later

The guys parked the van behind the stage as we arrived. I got down, & one look at the crowd in front I stood there stiff.

This… is not good.  

“O-O-Ok, I can’t do this” I said while trying to get back into the van.

“Don’t even think about it” Yesung walked down from the van & blocked me out.

“N-No, I-I-I can’t” I stammered as he slowly pushed me from behind & to the back of the stage.

“YES you can~” he encouraged me. “Just don’t think about the 96 people out there”

“96?!?” I yelled.

Then Kyuhyun corrected him. “Actually, 99”

“THAT’S NOT HELPING ME!!!” I scolded him.

“What’s the big deal? We perform in front of 2000 people everyday” Heechul shrugged.

“Sir, you are from a group called SUPER JUNIOR” I pointed out & emphasized the word ‘Super’. 

I sighed & crossed my arms. Suddenly as I stood at the right side of the stage, I heard the announcer announce to the crowd. He mentioned Ellie’s name & it was followe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter