School Goodbyes

My Shining SHINay

 

Chapter 3: [School Goodbyes]

 


 

          The last day of school: Filled with people creating last memories of laughing, crying, and smiling with their close friends. As I cupped the face of one of my tearing classmates, I felt my own vision begin to turn misty.

     “Geez kid. Stop crying!” I exclaimed with as much enthusiasm as I could, and we weakly smiled at each other.
 
          She nodded her head slightly, and bit down on her bottom lip to suppress the flow of tears coming from her now puffy eyes. Soon, we were surrounded by a dozen other people, and over the mumbled goodbyes, I bellowed,
 
     “Don’t forget me, ‘kay?” I wrapped my arms tighter around my classmates in group formation. Somewhere from the mass of bodies a stiff laugh emerged, accompanied by extremely touching words,
     “We could never forget you!” 
 
          At the brink of meltdown mode, I laughed and excused myself to go to the washroom.
 
          After calming myself down, I come out from the washroom and find Minwoo, the older brother of Mari. We‘ve become good friends over the dozens of times that I‘ve gone over to their house, and we warmly smile at each other in greeting. Waving excitedly, I rush up then hug him like always, but when I move back, the warm smile on his face has vanished, and he stares directly into me. He sighs heavily, and my eyebrows crinkle in confusion.
 
     “Is something wrong?” The moment that the words escape from my lips, I have a feeling that I know what comes next.
 
          Please no. Not now. Not him… But the inevitable happens.  
 
     "Honestly, I have a crush on you..." Crap. I knew this would happen.
 
     "Please don't be mad at me." he dips his head.
 
     "Oh no. It's fine. Honestly, I think it's cute. It's just that I'm not ready for a relationship yet." I smile as genuinely as I can, and pat his shoulder comfortingly. Lies. That was a total lie. I wanted to be in a relationship. I wanted to be confessed to, be able to hold hands with the guy of my dreams, and spill everything on my mind to him when feeling troubled. And I was confessed to by a sweet guy, it's just there was no way that I could feel the same way about him, since we were such good friends.
 
     "Is it because I'm Mari's older brother?" he looked at me with a pained expression.
 
          I can't lie to him...  So my head dropped, avoiding his attempt at eye contact, and I nodded slightly, "I'm sorry." 
 
          I hate this. Why am I like my Dad? Looking like him, acting like him. I'm good at weaseling my way out of situations like him, AND NOW I EVEN FRICKIN SEDUCE PEOPLE HE DOES. Gosh.... But I will NEVER turn into the monster that he is.
 
 
~*~
 
 
          Stomping down the hallways, the weight of all the extra school supplies and whatever was inside my locker makes me stumble, and the bell rings, concluding the school year. Goodbye to all my friends, classmates, and mortal enemies.
 
“GOOD BYE MIDDLE SCHOOL!!! HELLO HIGH SCHOOL!!!” 
 
          The walk to the car was prolonged by slow steps and occasional farewells from others. Once finally inside and seated, I begin scanning through the contacts on my phone, smiling softly when I realize that no one wasn’t in my contacts list. It was heartbreaking to know that I wasn’t going to be able to create any more memories with them anymore, and it was even more depressing to know and realize that I was one of the few people that weren’t going to be coming back. 
 
We spent so much time together… It’s such a shame to say goodbye now. 
 
I’m leaving, but we can still VidChat each other, right? Sending the text to Jisoo, a reply came in before I could even find a song to play on my iPod.
 
Yup. But don’t you dare turn into a brat like your step-sis. I chuckled at how he had the ability to cheer me up instantly.
 
Yah. Don’t talk about your future wife that way! :(  I slapped my knee while trying to contain my sniggers. Before Jisoo was able to reply, I shut off my phone and stuffed it in the front pocket of my backpack.
Man, is he going to be mad… TOTALLY worth it though.
 
          Stopping myself, I straightened my posture then timidly looked up at my Appa, who just grunted awkwardly and scratched at his stubble. Sighing in relief of not ticking my Appa off, I slipped in my earbuds and my most recently-got-obsessed-with song, EXO’s ‘Machine.’ (A/N:\\ Really awesome song by the way. You should check it out!) To think, soon, I’ll be shipped off by my Appa to get to the same city as EXO and the SHINee members. Lucky me! But I honestly have no idea as to whether that’s sarcastic or not.
 
          Sure, being with my brother and his 4 friends is a WAY better choice that staying with my alcoholic Appa, hot tempered Step-Mother, and brat princess Step-sister, but when you realize that your own Father wants absolutely nothing to do with you, no matter how much you hate or despise him, it still hurts to know that fact. It hurts a lot.
Before I could go any further into the depressing subject, the car came to a screeching halt, causing me to lurch forward in my seat. Soon, the sudden pain of having a seatbelt dig into your flesh hit me, and I sat there, clutching onto my stomach, trying to regain my breath after being violently winded.
 
     “We’re home.” my Appa stated bluntly.