6

The Future of You and Me

Chemin

Xiumin was busy baking cake for Chen’s birthday today. He wants to bake him a cake full of love. He at least wanted to do something for Chen. Because every time, Chen would celebrate his birthday, he would always do things for Xiumin instead of himself.

And that made Xiumin frustrated and annoyed. It’s his birthday yet he kept doing things for him not for himself. So Xiumin decided to bake a cake for Chen. At least he had done something for him.

He was quietly baking the cake and he made sure when he was baking the cake, that no one is around the house while he bakes and he makes sure that Chen is not around because everything will be destroyed.

Just like now.

“Minnie ahh~” A voice could be heard from the living room. Xiumin froze on his spot. He was almost finished he only needs to put the cream and the strawberry on top of the cake and it’s all done.

Minseok panicked and tried to put the whiff of cream on the bread as fast as he could. After putting on the cream neatly on the bread, he cut off some strawberries and was ready to put them on the cake when Chen’s voice resonated in his ears.

He froze again.

“Min?” Chen poked his head to the entry of the door as he eyed the frozen Minseok. He smiled cheekily and invited himself inside the kitchen.

“What are you doing there?~” He asks coyly as he approached Minseok. Minseok snapped back to reality and tried to hide his panic. He spun around and hid the cake behind him.

“Omo! It’s you ChenChen...since when did you arrive from work?” He asks, curious why Chen was early. Chen smiled.

“Liam hyung was kind enough to cancel my shift at the bar and let himself be the shift today. He told me that this is the birthday gift he had for me.” Chen replied. He noticed something behind Minseok and tried to figure it out what it is.

“What is that thing behind you, Min?” Chen asks, peeking to side to figure what it is. Minseok mirrored his movement, not letting Chen see the cake any moment now.

“Ah, it’s nothing.”  He smiled. Panic of sweats trickled down his face. Chen raised an eyebrow before smiling cheekily.

“Hmm, okay. You don’t need to say it anyways. I already know what it is.” Chen stated as Xiumin jaw dropped.

“I knew you were going to bake a cake.”  He approached Xiumin and looked behind Xiumin and saw the unfinished cake, he smiled. Xiumin was dumbfounded. He didn’t expect for Chen to know it so easily.

‘Plan destroyed, Xiumin. Oh great.” Xiumin shook his head in dismay. He turned his attention back to the cake and tried to finish it even though he knew his oh-so-perfect plan is destroyed; he still wanted to finish it for Chen.

Chen watches him cut some mangoes into pieces and notices a bowl of cut strawberries. He likes strawberries as far as he could remember. His lips curved into a smile and watches Xiumin cut the mangoes.

He knew that Xiumin is trying his best to do things for him in every birthday he has but he has to do something for Xiumin always, not for himself in every birthday he has. He knew that the older is angry by the fact that his plan is to make him happy and not his plan to be destroyed.

‘Oh, Min...if you only know...”

He took the bowl of strawberries and asks.

“Where do I place the strawberries?” Chen asks as he looked at the cake where he could place the strawberries. Minseok sighed in disappointment and let Chen do whatever he wants. The plan was ruined anyways.

"Place the strawberries there." He uttered, not looking at Chen nor the cake but just cutting the strawberries. Chen smirked.

"Where?" He asks, teasingly. Minseok stopped cutting the mangoes and averted his eyes to Chen who innocently blinks. His eyes narrowed.

"There!" Minseok pointed at the right edge of the cake and continued to cut the mangoes.

"Where??" Chen asks once more and his smirk grew wider. Minseok slammed the knife down and muttered to himself some incoherent words.

"Aish! Fine! I'll do it myself." Minseok took the bowl of strawberries from Chen and started decorating the cake, unaware that Chen took a piece of strawberry.

“Min~” Chen cooed and plop in the strawberry in his mouth. Xiumin felt his heart speeds up with his name being called by Chen, himself. He smiled and turned his head to face Chen.

He didn’t expect what would happen next.

Chen leaned his face to Xiumin’s and kissed the older. Xiumin widen his eyes in surprise. Soon, he felt Chen bit his lower lip. He gasps in pain, but was muffled when Chen stuck his tongue out and Xiumin felt his face heat up.

Then, all of a sudden, he tasted something sweet on his tongue. His eyes grew wide as he tasted the strawberry. Chen smirked through the kiss and soon broke it off.

Xiumin’s face was crimson red after swallowing the strawberry. Chen cup up his boyfriend’s face and stared at the older’s nut orb eyes.

“Min, you don’t have to do these for me...” He started and Minseok glared at him.

“But I want to do something for you, ChenChen. You’ve always do something for me and not for yourself when it’s your in’ birthday!” Minseok growled in annoyance but soon tears welled up in his eyes.

He was angry; angry that he couldn’t do anything for Chen. He wants the younger to be happy. He at least wanted to do something for the younger.

Chen’s eyes softened.

He leaned his face and rested his forehead to the older and stared at Minseok’s eyes.

“Min, you don’t have to do anything for me at all. You don’t have to waste your time and energy to make this. Because...”

Chen leaned his face and planted a soft and tender kiss to Xiumin. And that’s where Xiumin bursts into tears.  Chen pulled away and smiled.

“Because, with you being in my side is the greatest gift you could ever give me. You are the gift that no gift could ever be compared with you. Because you, my Min...is the best gift ever I have in my life.” Chen spoke in a sweet-calm-sincere voice and wiped off Xiumin’s tears.

He leans again and captures Xiumin’s lips.

Xiumin cried more.  He couldn’t help but be happy. Happy from those words he heard from Chen. That he; he was the best gift he could ever had in his life.

Well, at least he wouldn’t worry anymore, right?

END.