All Smiles and a Frown

Chasing After One Love

 

"Hello Mrs. Kim, nice to see you again!" Said the office lady brightly, as she greeted the mother of the child that had arrive. The lady then turned her attention to the little girl next to her mother and smiled even brighter.

"And this must be Taeyeon! Such a sweet looking girl." The lady complimented.

"Thank you. She's a little shy and quiet, but hopefully she'll adjust here really easily." Ms. Kim took her daughter's small hands and patted it gently.

"Oh don't you worry about a thing Mrs. Kim, I'm sure little Taeyeon here will get along with everyone." The lady assured the two and turned around to show them to Taeyeon's new classroom.

            Walking down the unknown path, Taeyeon tightens her grip on her mother's warm familiar hand. Taeyeon looks up to her mother and finds her mother's reassuring smile beaming down, telling her to relax and not worry. As her mother continues to ask the office lady more questions, Taeyeon lets out a cute pout before beginning to walk alaong side her mother. Taeyeon, like any other new kid starting a brand new school, was a little afraid; every little steps she takes on the white patterned floor, fills her mind with fear. 

            Trying to ease up a bit, her eyes scan the hallways filled with colorful drawings made by other students here and there, while her mother distracts herself in conversation with the other woman.

            The rooms they passed by had widely opened doors that were just enough for Taeyeon to take a quick glance. Taeyeon turns her ear to a teacher she sees through the doorway, but they were walking too fast for her to catch any of the words. In the following room, she hears another teacher yell out a boy's name for disrupting the class, though before she could hear more, they had arrive at their destination.

             The mother and child waits outside the door frame patiently as the office lady retrieves the teacher, who was busy talking to her class about a field trip they will be having. The teacher finishes off quickly and follows the lady from the office out of the classroom. The teacher, an older woman about in her 50s, comes out hand stretch, immediately shaking hands with Mrs. Kim. She looks down at the little girl and gives her a gentle smile. Taeyeon, out of shyness and anxiety, looks down and hides behind her mother, clutching the back of her shirt.

"Don't be scared honey." Mrs. Kim tells her daughter and pulls her in front. The teacher walks closer to her and greets her kindly.

"Hello I'm Mrs. Lee, your new teacher. You must be our newest friend in class, Kim Taeyeon. We've been waiting for you! Don't worry you'll like it here." The teacher paused, hoping Taeyeon would say something; but the little girl remained unresponsive. The adults just chuckled and began to talk about her new class. After another quick minute, they began to wrap it up.

"Come on follow me then." 
            The teacher, Mrs. Lee, motions little Taeyeon in to the classroom, after saying her goodbyes to the two other adults. She looks back at her mother one last time. Mrs. Kim waves and tells her to have fun, before turning back down the halls in which they came from. Left alone Taeyeon walks in to the noisy classroom, which is warm and comfortable despite the all the rucus.

              She stands next to Mrs. Lee in front of the class. Her little heart was about to burst out her chest. She wanted to run back to her mom's arms. Most of her classmates were chatting away, not paying any attention.
"Class we have a new student."  The students obediently turned their head in Taeyeon's direction, watching her quietly from their seats. Taeyeon gulped down a mouthful of suliva, from the dread of having so many eyes on her.
            The Teacher looks down at her and nods for Taeyeon to introduce herself. Taeyeon wanted to stay quiet, but didn't want to displeased her teacher already, so she reluctantly followed Mrs. Lee's will.
"He-hello. My...my name is ah..Kim Taeyeon. I'm 8 years old and...um.."
            Taeyeon didn't know what else to say, so she racked her brain for more information. She screams out the first thing that pops in to her little head. Which was her mother's promise to take her to get ice cream afterwards, seeing as how the girl adores the frozen treat.
"I love ICE CREAM!" She suddenly blurts out a little too loudly, her excitement showing.
            The room became full of giggles, making Taeyeon's cute chubby cheeks flush pink. She bows and the teacher kindly shows her to her seat towards the back of the room.

"Right now we're taking a few minute break. If you need anything you tell me, okay? Don't be afraid to ask." Taeyeon only nods and the teacher smiles and turns around to head back to her desk.
            Her classmates return to chit chatting among themselves. Laughing and giggling, not paying any attention to the new girl. Taeyeon feels left out and lonely already.
            Taeyeon felt a tap on her left shoulder. She turns around to meet a little boys face so close to her own. She jumps back quickly, as his smile widens.
"Hey there!" The little boy yelled out excitedly. "I like Ice Cream too! My favorite is Vanilla, Chocolate, Strawberry, Mango, Rocky Road, Butter Pecans, Mint, Coffee, Cookies and Cream, Cookie Dough- Oh I really like cookies too! I like chocolate chip, Oreos....:"
            Taeyeon blinks in confusion. She doesn't know whether to interrupt him or just keep listening.
"Chanie! You're talking too fast again! You're scaring her!" Says the boy seating in front of the first one.
The excited ice cream boy stops talking and turns his head to the side.
"Was I, D.O.?" He turns back to apologize to Taeyeon.
"Don't mind him. He gets crazy like that when he's excited. " A boy voice behind Taeyeon comments ligtly as he chuckles.
"But problem is, he's excited all the time." Someone to her right groans out, though there was a cute little lisp mixed in with his words.
            The boy sitting in front of Taeyeon turns his body to face her.
"So Taeyeon, right? I'm Kim Junmyun." A boy in front of her smiles and introduces himself. He gives his hands for Taeyeon to shake. Taeyeon found the smile to be kind.
"I'm Chanyeol! You're newest friend!" The hyperactive boy to her left exclaims.
            The guy behind her speaks, giving her a bright eye smile as Taeyeon turns around to face him.

"Hi! My name is Byun Baekhyun!"
"I'm Kyungsoo, but you can call me D.O." The guy in front of Chanyeol points out.
            Taeyeon looks at the boy to her right who is yet to introduce himself. He just stared at her, mouth not moving a tiny bit.
"That one is Sehun. He doesn't like to talk much." Junmyun points to the same boy, introducing for him. Sehun nods sheepishly.
            Taeyeon looks from faces to faces. As she meets their gazes, they put on a friendly smile. Taeyeon can't help but feel at ease.
"Hello... Nice to meet all of you." She tells them. Little dimples form at the corner of as she smiles for the first time. Her eyes also smiles, forming into little crescents.
Seeing the wonderful smile illuminate, the boys can't help but look in awe as their heart unknowingly skips a beat.

"Mrs. Lee, I have something of yours!"
            An angry looking middle age teacher stood below the door frame arms crossed. Her high heels shoes, tapping impaiently on the ground. Mrs. Lee went to follow the younger teacher out in the hallways. The students silenced down, as they all listened in.

"So what would be your problem, dear?" Mrs. Lee asked, her voice muffled a bit from being out in the hallways.
"Problem?!? I think you already know! One of your student was in my class room and was causing a disturbance... AGAIN! He was hiding under my desk and ran this fake rat up my legs!"
            Taeyeon heard Baekhyun snicker behind her, while Chanyeol gave a hysterical laugh. Junmyun only shook his head and Sehun smirked. D.O. eyes fully rounded as he called out a name under his breath. "Kai...what you do now?"

Mrs. Lee sighed.
"I'm sorry dear, it won't happen again. Right Kai?" 
            It became silent from outside. The silence was broken by a forced low mumbled voice, filled with jumbled up meaningless apologegtic words. The other teacher snorted afterwards. 

"I doubt that!" The lady yelled, then the noise of clicking heels fainted off in the distance.
            Mrs. Lee returned looking a little bit worn out. A tan boy followed after, giving a little curtsy as he stood in front of the class. Though his face was clear of emotion, complete seriousness; almost bored looking. A few people in class cheered him on.
            The teacher looks at Kai and, being the nice teacher she was, just sighed and told him to go to his seat.
"Yes mam!" He headed towards the back of the room and threw himself in a seat in front of Sehun. Suho signaled a look to Sehun and Sehun in turn leaned forward and slapped Kai at the back of the head.
            The teacher lets out a deep breath before finally starting the lesson.
            Kai looks over his shoulder and meets Taeyeon's gaze. Taeyeon didn't know what to say. If she should introduce herself or not.
            He smiles widely at her. Taeyeon, not knowing what else to do, replied him with a bright smile. His smile quickly disappears as he replaces it with a scowl.
  "I don't like you." He simply states and he turns back around to watch the board.