I'm Here to Listen

Take Care of You

I was on my way to meet the guidance counselor, since he wanted to talk to me about how I'm balancing school and my schedules. All of a sudden, I saw somebody leaning forward on the wall. 

"Seulmi?" I questioned, and knew it was her when I saw her backpack on the floor beside her.

I walked toward her carefully, not wanting to scare her away.

She was crying and her hand covered , failing to keep her whimpers silent.

I've never seen her this way, since we officially met a week before. She wasn't a person who trusted easily. I felt like she was hiding something from me.

I placed my hand on her shoulder, and she pulled away from my grasp.

She calmed herself down, and wiped her tears with her school sweater. She turned toward me and had an icy glare in her eyes. If looks could kill, I would surely be dead by now.

"Are you always this nosy?" She spat at me, and got her backpack and walked away from me.

"I just want to help!" I said following her down the hall. 

"Leave me alone! I don't need anyone's pity." She called back.

"I'm being serious here! I truly am trying..." I said, loud enough for her to hear.

She stopped and turned to me. She scoffed at me and replied, "You don't even know me. Why do you care so much? Not even my own parents think I'm worth their precious time."

My eyes softened at her reply. That's the reason. Her parents are the reason she acts like this. She wasn't shown love as a child, which has caused her to be incapable of showing love to others.

"You're parents are crazy, then. How could they not see their own child's worth?" I asked her.

She shrugged and was on the verge of tears. The look on her face could make angels cry. 

I didn't know how lucky I was. Nobody has ever witnessed this side of Nam Seul Mi. I wanted to hold her and let her cry on my shoulder. I wanted to let her know that she was worth more than the entire universe. No one should ever have to grow up thinking that way.

"Nam Seul Mi. I'm here. I want to listen. Everyone needs someone to talk to, let me be that someone for you." 

I approached her, and the look on her face could only be one thing: Relief.