c h a p t e r s i x

Obsession

o b s e s s i o n     { u h b - s e s h u h n }

c h a p t e r   s i x "

 

 

Cold. Silent. Deafeningly so. The only thing audible was his breathing as he came to. His vision was blurry. When he tried to rub his eyes, he found himself restrained to the chair. Bounded. Something soft, almost velvety wound around both wrist behind his back, keeping him immobile. He tried relieving the kink in his leg but when he tried to, it wouldn't budge. Damn it. Where the heck am I?

Baekhyun turned his head sideways and back, trying to loosen the tense muscle. His eyes roamed the room, noticing the fact that there was a lack of light, except for that bunch of candles in front of him. There were no windows in sight. It was like a human safe box. Flickering flames illuminated the room. Dragging his gaze up from the floor, Baekhyun gasped.

On the wall, was a massive collage. Of him. In various state of undress. In the middle of the wall, his kidnapper had sprayed paint with the words, "love for eternity". His eyes bugged out when he saw a picture of Jongin crossed out angrily with a red marker. Oh my god! He tugged on his restraints violently panic begun to sink in. This was the guy that killed Jongin and left that vial of blood on his desk.

The floor creaked behind him. But he couldn't see the shadowed area behind. "Who are you?! If you want money, I'll give you money. Just let me go!" 

No answer. Creak. Creak. Sweat formed at his hairline. The hair at the back of his neck stood.

"You can't kidnap me an-and walk away! Chanyeol is gonna look for me and get you arrested, you bastard!" He screamed out his frustration into the cold air although his blood was pumping hard.  He twirled the ring on his finger, praying for a miracle. Why isn't his kidnapper saying anything? Fear engulfed him. His hands grew cold as a warm body plastered to his back before a warm breath brushed against his ear. He stiffen.

Then something sweet assaulted his nose. Skin crawled. Eyes drifted close. But not before he saw him. Then his world lost its colours. Then black.

 

{  - - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

Lieutenant Kim pulled on a pair of latex gloves as he took in the crime scene. His partner Paul was outside interviewing their key witness. The bedroom was painted a light shade of violet. A stalk of rose stood in a thin black lacquered vase on the study desk where books were held up by a bookend.  The books ranged from science to history. He assumed they were for the victim's classes. Nothing seemed out of place. The were indication that there were a force entry either through the window nor the door. The victim might even know the perpetrator. Or, he wasn't killed here.

Looking at the victim on the bed, he was sure the actual crime scene was elsewhere. Walking over to the side of the bed, he gave props for the killer for presentation. The victim was dressed in crisp black shirt, complete with a bowtie. Hair parted sideways. The lieutenant touched the victim's face, noting the temperature and texture. Lips were painted glossy red. Make-up. Who the heck puts make-up on a victim? Turning the head slightly, he found no strangulation marks. The detective pulled ed the cuffs of the shirt and found no bound marks. 

"Name of John Doe?" He asked the police officer standing on the other side of the bed.

"The name's Byun Baekhyun, age seventeen lives with a single parent and attends a local high school."

"What else have you got?"

"That's all for now."

"Okay." The detective dismissed the officer and went back to the body. Something white peeked out from the pocket. It was a note. "Give me the bag."

It read, love for eternity.

One of the officer collecting evidence on the other side of the room handed him an evidence bag. He shook his head. It was looking more and more like a crime of passion but everything looked too stage for his liking.

 

{  - - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

The crowd of bystanders were trying to get a peek of the crime scene. Some were busy discussing what actually happened inside the house that was cordoned off by the police who were taking snippets of information as they interviewed the bystanders. Sehun sat on the steps of the porch as a police officer who settled beside him started to flip open a new page on his notepad.

"Sehun, are you okay to answer more questions for me? Your answers might help us find the killer. Tell me how you found the body." The police officer, whom called himself Paul, asked.

"Sure, but I don't how I can help. I remember coming over to give that," Sehun tilted his head to show the bunch of flower lying on the ground, "because I wanted to confess to him." He looked down at his sneakers as a blush coloured his cheeks. "I rang the door bell, but there wasn't any answer. So, I went around the house and tried the back door and it wasn't unlocked which means someone was home. I went in, hoping to surprise him or if I chicken out, I'll just leave them on the table in the kitchen. Strangely though, the house was so eerily quiet and admittedly, I was curious. I hadn't been to the house since I was in my junior year. Then, I went up to where the bedrooms were. All the doors were closed except for one. I knew that was Baekhyun's room from memory. Without thinking much, I just went in and saw on the bed, face up. I thought he was sleeping, so I told myself I'd just leave the flower leave him be. But then something odd caught my attention, he was looked too still. So I went over and touched his face. He was wearing make-up and was unusually cold. I shook him, but he didn't wake. I looked for a pulse. There was none. I didn't know what else I could do. I just called the police." 

"What kind of relationship do you two share?"

"Just schoolmates. We went to the same school since years ago. I live next door. We used to greet each other on our way to school, but ever since his boyfriend died, I hardly get to see him."

"Who's this boyfriend you mentioned?"

Sehun frowned. "His name was Kim Jongin. It was sad that he died from an accident a few months ago. But luckily, he had his best friend, Chanyeol who went through it with him."

"Do you by chance know who this Chanyeol is?" The police officer tapped his pen against the notepad, while looking at the young man, trying to figure out the unspoken body language. For now, he was the lead suspect.

"Park Chanyeol was Baekhyun's best friends. He used to be bullied by the kids in school but they stopped the moment he became friends with Baekhyun."

"When did that happen?"

"Around early this year." Sehun nodded as he look forward at the crowds. Just then a familiar curly head bull-dozed through the crowd. He heard Chanyeol screaming Baekhyun's name.

"Where's Baekhyun?! Where's Baekhyun?! Oh my god! Tell me Baekhyun's alright!" Chanyeol tried to shove the police officer away as he tried to cross the yellow tape.

Paul asked Sehun who that was. "That's Chanyeol." 

He sat where he was as Paul went over to the officer holding Chanyeol off. Paul said something and they let Chanyeol in. The officer took down Sehun's contact numbers and his particulars before informing him that he can go and they would call him when they need him. Sehun shrugged. He went past a distraught-looking Chanyeol whom had his head hanging while following Paul to sit on the porch.

 

{  - - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

A mass of black coloured the green grass as mourners said their last farewell to their beloved family member. Tears streamed down their faces. Sobs hiccuped out of him as he watched through swollen eyes as they lowered the casket down. Why did it have to end this way? Baekhyun was so young. Too young to die. His life was still a long way to go but fate had other plans for him. And that didn't involve the people of these world.

The police had released him as the main suspect when they couldn't link him to the crime. No further updates were heard. So, he assumed the police had no lead evidence nor suspect. The newspaper ran the story on it's cover page. His heart broke whenever he read article on it. 

From the corner of his eyes, he spotted Chanyeol, decked in black suit, head bowed. The cemetery grounds slowly emptied as everyone filed out to head towards the late Baekhyun's house where food and drinks were provided. He too, followed suit, but was stopped short by a hand on his shoulder.

"Chanyeol, I'm sorry for your loss." Sehun bit his lower lip as he watched the other guy blew his nose. "I hope they find the killer."

"Thank you. I hope they do too but it seems unlikely. The police said they couldn't get any lead." Chanyeol wiped his eyes with the back of his hand. "He was taken away too soon."

"I know." Sehun touched the sobbing guy's elbow. "Are you heading to his house, too?"

Chanyeol nodded while they made their way out of the cemetery gates. Cars started  and zoomed away. They decided to share a taxi and split the fare. Trees zoomed past them but none of them cared much for the scenery as each were lost in their own thoughts, taking comfort in the silence of the car. When the car stopped right at the opened metal gates, where the driveway was filled with luxury cars. Stepping into the murmuring crowd, they were greeted by a middle-aged couple whom escorted them to where the food were. Some eyes were watching them curiously, wondering what their relationship with the deceased were.

Once he filled his plate, Chanyeol took a seat near the window and watched the first flutters of snow painting the ground. Winter without Baekhyun was going to be a long and cold holiday.

 

{  - - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

The story finale coming your way very soon~!!! I know.. left it hanging... yet again... I hope my crime writing  isn't so bad coz I know this story is a little serious from what I usually write... Anyway, check out my upcoming crime/comedy fic. Seoul Dogs!