c h a p t e r f i v e

Obsession

o b s e s s i o n     { u h b - s e s h u h n }

c h a p t e r   f i v e "

 

 

"I'm scared." Baekhyun stared at his clasped hand on the table as he gnawed on his lower lip. His knee bounced non-stop from the moment he sat at his desk. 

Students filtered in and out as the classroom was slowly filling up. Chairs dragged against the floor. None of their chatters registered in his mind as he was too engrossed at the problem at hand. Who would send someone a vial of blood, really? Normally, people wouldn't. But this person probably was sick in the head. Really sick. And Baekhyun was scared of what he was capable of doing. Knowing that this preparator was out there and knows where he lives, it turned his blood cold.

"Have you seen anyone suspicious lately?" Chanyeol half-sat on the edge of Baekhyun's desk, arms folded across his chest. Worry lines etched on his best friend's beautiful face. It didn't suit him. Not at all. "What if it was just a prank to spook you?"

"B-but it looks like a real blood..."

Chanyeol ruffled the his hair. Baekhyun looked in the depths of his friend's smiling eyes. Maybe he was right. Worrying over something so baseless, would just drive him crazy. If, by any chance it was true, he could just report it to the police. But he was hoping it was really just a prank. Bringing his clasped hand towards his lips, he sent a silent prayer that everything would be fine. Once he was done, he opened his eyes to see Chanyeol grinning at him. Then, he noticed red bumps on his wrist.

"What happened to your hand?" Baekhyun pointed to red patch of bumps, slightly swelling. He didn't recall seeing it before this. It probably happened recently because it wasn't there before. 

"Oh, this?" Chanyeol brought his hand into view. "Nothing much really. Think it's just some rashes I got from an allergy. It'll go away."

"How'd you get it?" 

"I don't know." He shrugged as Baekhyun inspected his hand. "Don't worry about it." The smiling boy pulled back his hand. and shoved it into his pocket.

"You should put some medicated cream on that."

"I know." Chanyeol chuckled. He pushed himself off the table, standing at his full height. Just then their math teacher walked in and ordered them to get into their seats. "Ok, later then." Taking the seat behind Baekhyun, he settled into a relaxed slumber as he watched the slender neck.

 

{  - - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

"Have a seat, Lieutenant." The school principal showed towards the two seats in front of his desk after they shook hands. He had been expecting the police to come over with the full report regarding the unfortunate incident that had caused the life of one of their precious student.

"Thank you." The light-haired, half-Causasian officer nodded and took the offered seat. His partner took the seat next to him. Flipping open the manila folder in his lap, Lieutenant Kim watched the middle-aged man with thinning hairline from under his lashes. He glanced at the documented report and read off-handedly as he slid a piece of paper towards the other man. "This is the result of the autopsy. There wasn't any foul play invovled. The medical examiner determined that the cause of death was plant poisoning. We belived the plant might be within the school compound. It needs to be extradicted to avoid future accident from these instances."

"I see. This is really unfortunate." 

Lieutenant Kim pulled out another paper and handed to him. "This, is the plant. It's scientific name is Digitalis Purpurea, commonly known as foxgloves. According to the report here, the victim was poisoned by the dried spores."

"Thank you officers. We appreciate your help  in expiditing regarding this case." The man stood, pushing his chair back and handed over the papers.

"Our condolences for your loss." Lieutenant Kim bowed before he headed out with his partner in tow.

 

{  - - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

The chime echoed throughout the school, signalling that the morning assembly was about to begin. As students rushed past him, Baekhyun pulled out his mobile, checking for any text message. Hmm, Jongin hadn't replied to any of his messages that he had sent for the past few days. That was so unlike him. But, maybe something came up. Not thinking much about it, he found Chanyeol in the crowd and they headed to where their class were seated in the school hall. 

Searching through the throngs of students, he couldn't  find the guy he was looking for. Jongin was absent again? He would have to drop by his house later after school then. As students settled into their respective classes, seated cross-legged on the floor, the principal stepped up onto the stage, dressed in crisp white shirt tucked into dress pants. His balding hair swept back to reveal a slightly pudgy face.

"Good morning, boy and girls. I hope you have enjoyed your weekend. This morning I have received an unfortunate news. One of our students, Mr. Kim Jongin of Class 2-A, had passed away due to unforseen event. Please observe a minute of silence."

Baekhyun gasped. This can't be happening. Not the Kim Jongin that he knew. It was just impossible! His heart clenched tightly as tears streamed down his face. "No. It can't be him."

"This is really unfortunate. But it is that Jongin." Chanyeol frowned as he tried to absorb the shocking news.

Baekhyun's cries turned into sobs as he buried his face into his hands in despair. Now, he never would get the chance to get back together with him. And he would never get the chance to say "I love you" again. Regrets dawned on him as he sank into the abyss of depression.

On the adjacent row of students, Sehun watched from far the beautiful Baekhyun sobbing into Chanyeol's shoulder. He wished he was the one lending his shoulders. But fate was cruel. It wouldn't even let him comfort the person he loved.

 

{  - - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

He ran a finger over the top cabinet and came up with a pad of dust on his index finger. Sighing inwardly, Sehun picked up a feather duster and started dusting till it was completely clean. This basement hadn't seen the rays of light since aeons ago. Cobwebs decorated the pointed corners of the four-walled room, big enough to fit two king sized beds. The opened drawer was cluttered with photos. Picking it one at a time, Sehun smiled. This was the picture of Baekhyun that he was able to collect throughout the years. They had been classmates back then. He'd seen it all. And although at that time, Baekhyun was with Jongin, he still continued to like him from afar. Needless to say, he was truly heartbroken but he never gave up, knowing that one day, Baekhyun might be his.

The news about Jongin's death must be shocking to Baekhyun. He wondered how he was now, wishing he was there to wrap his arms around the apple of his eye. But he knew he was probably with Chanyeol right about now. That lucky bastard. Sehun picked up his keys and mobile phone before heading out. He had something important to do. And it can't wait.

 

{  - - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

Soft wind rustled the leaves above them as they strolled the pathed trail. Greens flanked on either of their side. Specks of purple and white bloomed in between the lush greenery in a form of wild flowers. So beautiful and exotic. A squirrel crossed their path with a nut between its teeth. Far in the sky was the sun, bathing them in warmth. Baekhyun sniffed the fresh air, a smile on his face. It was a nice change from the bustling city life that he was so accustomed to. 

Afterall, it was Chanyeol's idea. He claims to know this park by heart and knew all the shortcuts since he had been going here since he was a kid. Baekhyun believed him because this was like the nth time they had been here and so far, they have yet to lose their way in the park that ran acres in diameter. Chanyeol had thought that by frequently going out together, Baekhyun would find that there were other things in life that he should be enjoying instead of mourning for the loss of an ex-lover. Even now, his thoughts were filled with Jongin. Tears prickled at the corners of his eyes. Silly, Jongin wouldn't want you to cry that much over him, the small voice in his head whispered. That's so true, Baekhyun laughed in his head.

"What are you thinking about?" Chanyeol asked, tugging onto the sleeve lightly.

Baekhyun glanced up at the taller male, noting the soft smile on his face. "I'm just glad to spend the time with you. Without you, I'd probably drowning in the midst of depression."

"I'd never ever let you go down that road." He wound an arm around Baekhyun's shoulder, squeezing them gently. "Didn't I promise to protect you? I'd protect you for as long as I'm here by your side."

The other guy chuckled, eyes twinkling with amusement as he watched Chanyeol punch the air in a boxer's stance. So many things happened  in a matter of months. He couldn't imagine going through it all without his best friend. As a shaded tree came into view, Chanyeol suggested that they took a seat at the bench after a long walk from the entrance of the park. The place was serenely quiet, aside from the critters croaking, or the occasional quacking of the ducks in the calm river ahead.

Chanyeol watched his best friend's silhoutte as Baekhyun sang EXO-K's Angel. Such a pretty voice, he could easily replace the main singer of that hugely popular kpop boyband. Turning slightly in his seat, Chanyeol watched those lips moving to the tune. His heart thumped. The urge to just reach out and touch those glistening lip was so strong, he  was shaking. Chanyeol swore he would give up anything just to feel those lips against his own. Even if just for this once.

"Chanyeol."

"Hmm?"

"Is there something on my face?" Baekhyun tilted his head slightly, wondering what his friend was thinking.

"Baekhyun, I really," Chanyeol began to say whilst wiping his sweaty palm against the top of his jeans, "like you."

The boy in questioned blinked his twice in shock. After what seemed like a minute, Baekhyun chuckled. "I like you too, Chanyeol. A lot." He patted Chanyeol's cheek, gently.

"I'm serious. I like, like you." Chanyeol stammered as heat pooled at his cheeks, causing him to blush a deep shade of red. "Please, let me love you. I know you love Jongin, but he's gone. Let me be the person to love you instead."

To say stunned, was an understatement. Baekhyun had never expected Chanyeol to confess to him.. But here he was declaring his undying love. It was strangely comforting, to know that Chanyeol felt so strongly for him. And he liked Chanyeol. So, maybe he would give the boy a chance after his heart was healed.

"Silly boy, why are you so cute?" Baekhyun cupped Chanyeol's face with both hands and leaned in to brush his lips against the other's soft, parted ones.

When Baekhyun leaned back from the kiss, a red-faced Chanyeol stuttered in embarassment about being attacked sneakily. Much to his delight, Chanyeol just grinned after he recovered from his shyness, and stole another kiss.

"That's sneaky." Baekhyun giggled.

"Says the pot to the kettle." Chanyeol shrugged as he regained his own composure. He used the back of his hand to wiped away the stray droplet of sweat from Baekhyun's forehead. "Would you like me to get you a drink? They have a vendor not far from here."

"They do? Oh, you mean the one near the washroom?" The trees rustled around them as a strong breeze blew past. "Ok, sure."

Chanyeol patted the other boy's lap. "You sit here while I get it for you."

"I'll just follow you then."

"N-No, you don't look well enough to walk that far. We don't want you fainting, do we?" Chanyeol boldly pecked the cute nose. "And I haven't finished worshiping your lips with mine."

"What the-" Baekhyun was cut half way by another kiss. "Never mind. Go get the drink fast. I'm really thirsty. Should have brought an extra bottle today."

He watched the taller guy walked away, watching his retreating back, which occasionally turned to give him a silly smile and wave. Stupid Chanyeol, Baekhyun thought fondly. So lost was he in in own thoughts that he didn't realise someone walking up to him from behind. Baekhyun was about to text Chanyeol when something hit the side of his neck. He tumbled to his side. The last thing he saw was a pair of hot pink laced sneakers walking up to him. Something about it rang a bell at the back of his head.  Before he could come up with a name, he out.

 

{  - - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

What do you think? The end is near really... VERY NEAR...  like another 2 chapters left... do you think there's foul play? Is it really just an accident? Or is someone out there really a killer? Comments will be appreaciated.. :))