c h a p t e r o n e

Obsession

o b s e s s i o n     { u h b - s e s h - u h n }

" c h a p t e r   o n e "

 

 

"Hey, Elephant Ears." Someone called out his nickname. He hated that nickname. But nobody listened to him.

"My name's Chanyeol not Elephant Ears." The boy looked back to the group of boys that had approached him.

Chanyeol shuddered. Not again. If his predictions were right, they were going to come over and give him a good beating. It had been happening day in, day out and no one seemed to care. He was sure some of them might notice some bruises but no one stepped forward to help. Gosh, this school was just so strange. If he had even the slightest more money, he would have asked his parents to move to another school. But then again, it didn't solve anything. Every school he went to in the past, the same thing happened. His life truly did .

"Your name's Elephant Ears." The four boys now surrounded him. Chanyeol looked at their leader, whom he recognised as the school's top dog, Jongin. Rich, good-looking, smart and the school's number one darling, Jongin seemed to have it all. The school would never believe any word he said if he told them he was a bully because he really was on his best behaviour elsewhere but here.

"What do you want? I don't have any money on me today." Chanyeol lied. , he forgot to keep his money in the bag. The money to buy for the paracetamol that he ran out. His head spun a little as he tried to think on his feet while his body burn up.

"Check his pockets."

Random hands skittered all over his body. God, he felt dirty from all that. He needed to scrub his body clean when he got home. One of the boys found his pouch of coins in his left pocket. Chanyeol tried not to cringe but failed miserably. The skinny boy dangled the pouch in his face before passing it to Jongin, whom quickly checked the contents.

"What crap is this?" Jongin dug some coins before throwing it at Chanyeol's face. Damn, that blood hurts, you stupid fool!

"It's money." Chanyeol said calmly, eyes never leaving his bully.

"Park Chanyeol, are you looking down on me?"

Chanyeol found this question really stupid. Of course he had to because the other boy was shorter than him. "I'm not looking down on you. It just happens that I'm a little taller."

"Are you saying I'm short?" Jongin narrowed his eyes, fury whipping through him.

Gosh, he hated his height. "I'm just saying that I'm tall. There's nothing I can do about it."

"Bloody hell! Talking back?" The other boy threw a punch across his cheek, causing Chanyeol to stumble back. His heels bumped into someone's foot which sent him sailing down ungracefully. He groaned. His back hurts.

"No one talks back."  Jongin hissed before spitting on his face. "Finish him up. I need to use the bathroom."

Chanyeol didn't have time to recover. A kick to his ribs and back rendedred him speechless. He tried to get up but a foot pinned his shoulders down hard as the other kicked his ribs. Blow after blow left Chanyeol feeling faint. Throbbing pain blared in his mind, but none of his limbs wanted to make a move to get away.  Then he heard a voice.

"What are you guys doing?" The soft stern voice shouted. The boys cursed before running away.

Then his world just stood still when the owner of the voice squated beside him. Chanyeol blinked. Beautiful, was the first word that came to mind. How was it possible for a guy to look so beautiful? Skin so smooth and fair. Shiny dark hair falling over his forehead where it framed a small face. Those soft red lips moved but Chanyeol didn't register what he was saying.

The stranger touched his cheeks. "Let's get you to the infirmary."

"Yes, thank you." Chanyeol said which came out more like a croak.

"What's your name?" The flower boy asked him while helping Chanyeol to his feet. Chanyeol draped his arms around the much shorter boy taking a whiff of that vanilla.

"Vanilla." Chanyeol though aloud.

"Your name's vanilla?" The other boys asked with amusement. They walked slowly, a step at a time towards the school building.

"N-N-No." Chanyeol ducked his head in embarassment. "I mean you smell like vanilla. My name's Chanyeol."

"Oh, you like it? I bought it last weekend." He chuckled in that singing tone. "By the way, I'm Baekhyun. The next time someone bullies you, you should report it. It's unacceptable."

"Baekhyun, you're too kind. Thank you."

"Bullies should be punished. Everyone deserves to shine in school. You know, like be yourself, that kind of freedom."

They continued their small talk till the nurse took him in, gasping at all the bruises and wounds. Baekhyun stood at the side of the examination table, a frown marred his beautiful face. At that moment, Chanyeol wished he wasn't the cause of that frown. After what seemed like an hour but most probably it was just about half an hour, a well plastered and bandaged Chanyeol walked over to Baekhyun.

"Thank you so much. I owe you."

Baekhyun blushed. "No, it's alright. I do what I can."

"Please, just accept my gratitude. I'm indebted because you're the first person that actually really talk to me."

"Why don't you have any friends?" Chanyeol shook his head and Baekhyun continued. "Then I'll be your friend."

"That's too much to ask for."

"Please, I want to be friends with you." Baekhyun smiled widely while he patted Chanyeol's arm. Long fingers uncurled his fist, Chanyeol watched Baekhyun put his coin pouch in his palms. "It's yours I think."

"Thank you, Baekhyun." Chanyeol closed his hand around the soft fingers.

The other boy chucked and smiled. "You're welcome."

The smile was so beautifully sweet, it stole his heart without even meaning to.

 

- - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

Days passed and they became fast friends, enjoying each other's company. Among those days, Chanyeol found out that Baekhyun was really popular with both genders. Whenever he accompanied the latter to his locker, it'll be filled with all kinds of love letters, gifts and flowers. Knowing that he was friends with the prince of the school shook him to the core. Why would someone that popular be friends with this clumsy, good-for-nothing boy? Did he have an ulterior motive? Chanyeol didn't think so. Maybe he was just like a stray puppy which Baekhyun was compelled to take in under his wings. Whatever his reasons were, Chanyeol wasn't going to question it. He felt lucky enough that someone even acknowleged his presence by his real name, and not some stupid nickname.

Chanyeol ambled his way towards his new friend who was busy playing with the swing attached  to the gigantic tree, with its big, strong branches. As he approached, a soft almost inaudible voice reached his ear. Straining his ears, Chanyeol grinned when he realised that Baekhyun had been singing. It was soft, melodicious and soothing. Angelic, he thought. Tears prickled at the corner of his eyes, how could he doubt Baekhyun's friendship? Someone with such a kind heart, a beautiful face, an angelic voice and a soft smile on his face, it must be cruel of Chanyeol to even think Baekhyun had ulterior motives.

Slapping himself mentally, Chanyeol walked over to the other boy who had turned his way. The sun rays playing against his hair. Chanyeol felt his heart swelled as he walked over to the angel that had dropped into his miserable life.

 

- - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

Baekhyun managed ambled his way down to the school gate. He had promised to walk home together with his friend, Chanyeol. The boy that he'd saved a few weeks ago was fast becoming his best friend. Chanyeol was always cursing about his height and ears which Baekhyun felt really sad for him. Those bully must have done a number on him for his self-esteem to be that low. Anyone could see that Chanyeol wasn't ugly. Those ears he was always hiding with his dark blonde hair was actually adorable. He liked that the tips turned beet red whenever he teased. As for height, Baekhyun liked tall guys but he wasn't going to tell Chanyeol. Not yet anyway.

As he approached the school gate, Baekhyun looked around for that signature curly head. He frowned. Where could he be? Baekhyun looked around the garden, backyard, and the compound area. None. Maybe he left. Baekhyun couldn't  blame him. He got held up by the teacher for his assisgnment. A soft mew reached his ears. A stray cat? Following the sound, Baekhyun found himself just outside the school gate. There crouched near a shaded tree was his best friend, feeding a skinny grey cat.

If only people didn't judge someone by looks, they'd find that Chanyeol was actually a very nice guy. The guy needed more recognition and a little praise wouldn't do him any harm either. Just probably a red-tipped ear, perhaps.

 

- - - - - - - - - -  +  - - - - - - - - - -  }

 

Ok, first chapter of this story. What do you think so far? I hope it was ok. This is the first exo fanfic that I wrote in a non-comedy style (other than The Vow oneshot which was to me the saddest thing really.. why the heck did I write that?). It is a challenge to write something suspensefully mysterious.. but I'm trying & thinking of this as a challenge to the writer in me. The last time I wrote this kind of story was like 4 or 5 years ago I think? I hope this will keep you on your toes... guessing... who the heck is the... culprit? Keke... happy reading...  (it's as according to plan... ) ;D