YOUNGWON: “Thanks... I don't know what I’d do without you...”

Destination: LOVE

 

Elementary School

“Why are you doing this?” The girl sobbed. “Please, give me back my lunch!”

“Nahh... The sandwich and egg rolls look good. I think I’m gonna eat them.” The boy smirked before grabbing a piece of egg roll and stuffing it in his mouth. He grinned maliciously at her as he chewed. 

Reora let out another sob. She wiped her tears away and glared hatefully at the boy. He was much bigger than her, so fighting him was not an option. She bit her lip as she tried to stifle another sob. What was she going to do?

“C’mon Changmin! Give her back her lunchbox will you?” Someone suddenly said from behind the boy.

The boy turned around and scoffed. “Go away DongLim. I’m hungry.”

Reora watched as the new boy strode towards them, her eyes widening by the second. His skin was flawless; he was so milky white that he almost... glowed. Who was he? She watched as he hit the back of the big boy’s head, before handing him some money.

“Give her back her lunchbox.” The boy named DongLim repeated. “Take this money, and go get something else to eat.”

“Hyung!”

“Just go Changmin!” DongLim exclaimed. “Go, before I tell someone what you did.”

The big boy cowered in fright. He practically threw the lunchbox at her before scurrying away. DongLim turned an apologetic smile at her and took the seat next to her.

“Sorry about that.” DongLim apologized. “He’s always stealing people’s food. It’s like he’s not being fed at home.”

Reora laughed. “Thank you... err...”

“DongLim. My name’s DongLim.” He said with another smile. “What’s yours?”

“I’m Reora.”

“Ahh... nice name.” DongLim chuckled. “So you’re new right? First grade?”

“Yeah... what about you?”

DongLim stuck out his chest proudly. “Fourth grade. So you should call me oppa.”

Reora flashed a shy smile and nodded her head. “Ok, DongLim oppa...”

“Hey listen, I gotta go. But if that boy ever threatens you again, just call me ok? I’ll help you out.” DongLim said before walking away with a wave.

Reora waved back and smiled to herself once he was gone. It hadn’t even been one full day and she already made a friend. A boy nonetheless... An older one. A cute one too. She wondered what her mother would say if she told her this. She wasn’t head over heels for him, but he did save her from that big boy. Goodness, maybe she was already falling in love with him!

High School

“Youngwon oppa! Give that back to me will you?” Reora shouted as she tried to pry her journal from Youngwon’s hand.

“Nope. Not until you let me read it. And will you please stop calling me Youngwon? I hate it!” Youngwon exclaimed, making sure the journal was out of her reach.

“Oppa! Have you never heard of the word privacy?” Reora said, her annoyance reaching its limit. Youngwon can be so good, but such an sometimes. And why did her journal have to fall out from her bag when he was around anyway? It’s not that she didn't want him to read it, but if he ever saw the contents of it, she will probably never be able to face him ever again. The amount of embarrassing things she wrote in there, not to mention all the ‘I love you’s’...

Yes, she loved him. She has since the first moment she saw him. But he sees her as nothing more than a sister. He acts like her big brother too, protecting her whenever required. But deep down, she just wished he would see her for who she truly was, and not just someone who needs his protection. She didn't want his protection; all she wanted was his love. Did he ever see all those glances she gave him? All those longing looks, did he ever notice? She was well aware of the fact that she should in all honesty tell him, but she was too scared of being rejected. She didn't want him to say that he sees her only as a sister. That hurt more than the thought of being rejected and she couldn't live with that, if ever he says it...

“Reora... reora?” Youngwon said, waving his hand in front of her face.

“Huh?” Reora said, snapping out of reverie. “Err...”

“You ok?” Youngwon asked concerned.

“Uhh yeah, I’m fine.” Reora mumbled.

Youngwon handed the journal back to her, and flashed a small smile. “Here... Did you seriously think I was going to read it?”

Reora snatched her journal quickly from his hand, the relief evident on her face. Youngwon’s curiosity piqued. What did she write in there that she didn't want him to see?

“Thank you oppa.” She said quietly.

Youngwon shook his head before he wrapped an arm around her shoulder. “So, will you come with me today to the audition?”

“Today? Yeah sure!” Reora said brightly. “You scared?”

“A bit.” Youngwon admitted. “But you’ll be there. And everything is always fine when you’re around.” He added with a grin.

Reora returned his smile with one of her own, her heart slightly shaken. If only he knew how much his words affected her... Even one look from him could drive her wild. How did she manage to keep this love hidden from him all this time? How can he not notice it at all?

~~~

“Reora, where are you?” Youngwon said frantically down the phone.

“Oppa?” Reora said groggily. She glanced at the clock on her bedside table and furrowed her brow. “Oppa, it’s 2 am in the morning. What’s going on?”

“Meet me at the park please. I need to talk to you.”

“Now?”

“Reora please...” Youngwon pleaded.

“Ok, ok. I’ll be there in 5...” Reora said. She stood up immediately from her bed and quickly changed out of her pyjamas.

She ran to the park as fast as her legs could carry her and saw him sitting on the swing when she arrived. Tentatively, she made her way over to him and touched his shoulder. “Oppa, what’s wrong?”

Youngwon looked up, his vision blurred by the tears b in his eyes. He wanted to cry, but he wanted Reora’s shoulders to cry on. He didn't know why he always come running back to her. He shouldn’t, considering he was already seeing someone now. But he couldn't help himself. There was something about her presence that soothe him, that could calm him down...

“Reora... please let me cry on your shoulder tonight?” Youngwon whispered.

Reora sat on the other swing, her lower lip trembling. “Oppa, what’s going on? You’re scaring me. Did something happen at the company? Did you have a fight with the other members?”

Youngwon shook his head and grabbed her hand, the tears already flowing. “No, nothing like that. It’s just... DayDay hyung is leaving.”

“Leaving? What do you mean...”

“He’s leaving the group.” Youngwon wept. “He’s leaving Dalmatian. He said he wanted to go back to just producing music. I’m scared Reora. What if the company disband us? What if we break up? What’s gonna happen to me? You know how much I wanted to be a singer. I don't know what to do Reora...”

“Hey hey oppa...” Reora said, immediately pulling him into her arms. “Shhh... it’s gonna be ok. The company’s not going to disband you. All of you have your own individual talents. The company’s not going to let that go...”

“How can you be so sure?” Youngwon asked, his voice muffled by her shirt.

“Because... I believe in you.” Reora replied quietly. “I believe in your talent. And the company does too. Maybe they’ll find someone else to replace him. Or maybe not... Whatever they’re going to do, one thing’s for sure, they won’t disband you...”

Youngwon pulled apart a while later, and sniffed. “Thanks... I don't know what I’d do without you...”

Reora smiled a small smile as she held his hand, her heart beating rapidly. “That’s what I’m for right?”

“So how are you? We haven’t seen each other for so long. How’s college treating you?”

Reora shrugged and sighed. “Same old, same old. Nothing new really. What about you?”

“You’re not going to believe this but... I’m meeting someone.” Youngwon said, excitement in his voice. “She’s in this new and upcoming girl group. I don't know if you’ve heard of her, she’s from A-Pink.”

Her heart literally sank. Tears sprung in her eyes and she looked away before he could see her crying. He found someone... already? So fast? They haven’t met for a few months and he already met someone? She didn't know how to react to the news. She knew she should say something to him, but what? She was heartbroken as it was, and she wasn’t comfortable with saying something she didn't mean...

“Hey, you ok?” Youngwon asked as he touched her arm lightly.

“Ahh... erm, oppa.” Reora said quickly wiping the tears away. She made sure her eyes were dry before she turned to look at him. “It’s getting late. And I have class tomorrow. If there’s nothing else, I’m gonna head back to the dorm...”

“Uhh yeah, sure.” Youngwon said, standing up. “Thanks again for being here for me. You’re my best friend, you know that right?”

“...Yeah.” Reora said with a tight smile. Best friend, sister... Nothing less, nothing more... Maybe it was her fault. She should’ve told him she loved him before he decided to become famous. But then again, she didn't want to be a distraction. That wasn’t who she was. She was supposed to be supporting him, and lend him a helping hand whenever he needed her. She knew she would expect too much from him if they ever become a couple and she didn't want that. She didn't want him to lose focus. He wanted to be famous, and she was there to help him. She was his fan, his best friend, his sister. And that was all she will ever be to him...

~~~

“Youngwon, will you please sit down?” Intae said with a sigh.

“Yeah, you’ve been pacing in front of the TV since yesterday. It’s getting kind of annoying.” Jeesu said from the couch.

“Sorry, but... I’m just waiting for someone’s phone call.” Youngwon said, biting his lip.

“Who’s phone call? Your A-Pink girlfriend? I thought they’re in Thailand this week.” Simon said.

“No, not her. Reora...”

“What’s wrong with Reora? Did something happen to her?” Daniel asked, concerned.

“I don't know. I haven’t heard from her in weeks. She hasn’t returned my calls at all...” Youngwon said anxiously.

“Maybe she’s just busy Youngwon ah...” Intae said, trying to reassure him.

“I don't know hyung. She always texts me even if she’s super busy.” Youngwon replied.

“Did you know she applied for that theatre program in Broadway?” Daniel said.

Youngwon looked at him in shock. “What? How did you know that?”

Daniel looked back at him, equally in shock. “You didn't know? Hyung, she called your phone yesterday while you went out. I picked up when I saw it was her. We talked for a bit, and she told me. She didn't tell you? She said she got in. She’s leaving tonight.”

“What? Yah! And you didn't bother to tell me this yesterday?!” Youngwon shrieked.

“Sorry!” Daniel said, holding up his hand in defence. “I thought you knew! She said you knew!”

“I don't know Daniel, we haven’t talked in ages. Can you please go check her departure time for me?” Youngwon said frantically. He tried calling her phone, but was met with a voice mail once again. What the hell is going on with her?

“Sounds like she’s avoiding you.” Simon stated.

“Yeah. And I have no idea why...”

“When did this start?” Intae asked.

Youngwon furrowed his brow as he thought about it. Yes, when did it start? She rarely comes to their performances, he wondered if she even heard of their new song. She had always refused his invitation to come and hang out, saying she was busy with work. He frowned. It started a year ago, when he told her that he had a girlfriend. But why would she avoid him just because of that?

“I think... ever since I told her I have a girlfriend.” Youngwon said, the statement sounding ridiculous to his ears.

“Ahh... there you go.” Jeesu said, nodding his head knowingly. “She’s jealous.”

“Jealous? Why?” Youngwon frowned.

“Oh my God, hyung. You are so clueless. She likes you!” Daniel exclaimed. “You guys knew each other since when, elementary school? I mean, it’s expected that she likes you. Maybe she loves you even.”

Youngwon widened his eyes in shock. “S-she loves me?”

“The question is Youngwon, do you love her too? You’ve been so anxious lately because you haven’t heard from her. And I don't know if you know this, but you sleep talk at night. You say her name all the time...” Simon said, looking up from his phone.

“I- I gotta go.” Youngwon said before fleeing from the house.

“Hyung! Her flight’s in an hour!” Daniel shouted to his retreating back.

Youngwon ran to her dorm and barged into her room. He saw that her side of the room was cleared empty, and he ran his hand through his hair in frustration. His eyes scanned the room before a red book that was peeking from underneath the mattress caught his eye. He made his way over and pulled it out, revealing her journal, the journal she refused to let him read many years ago.

With trembling hands, he flipped the cover open and his jaw dropped open in surprise. His name was everywhere...  He flipped again until he reached the end of the journal, and exhaled loudly, his heart beating at the speed of light. She loves him... What was he doing? How could he not notice it? Why was he so blind to it?

“I hate you.” He said once he saw her at the airport. He caught her just in time. He grabbed her hand and spun her around to meet his eyes.

“Oppa...” Reora said nervously. “What are you doing here?”

“What are you doing here? Where are you going?” Youngwon asked.

“I... uhh... just let me go oppa. I don't want to miss my flight.” Reora sighed.

“So you told Daniel everything but you won’t tell me? I can’t believe you were just going to leave me like this.” Youngwon said, shaking his head.

“I... I’m sorry.” Reora said quietly. “I just...”

“I love you.” Youngwon spoke up.

Her eyes widened in shock and she stared at him, open mouthed. “What?”

“Babo yah. Why didn't you tell me you love me? Why did you keep it a secret from me?” Youngwon asked, taking out her journal from his pocket and showing it to her.

“O-oppa...”

“You should’ve told me you love me. Maybe then, I would’ve told you I love you too...” Youngwon said softly.

“You do?”

“Maybe I always have. You were always there for me. We look out for each other. You’ve seen me at my worst. You’re the reason why I’m at my best. It’s all you. It has always been about you. I just never really see it, until now...” Youngwon breathed. He caressed her face lovingly and placed a kiss at the tip of her nose. “I’m in love with you, I really am...”

“I... love you too.” Reora said, feeling like the weight has been lifted off of her shoulders. Not knowing what else to do, she smiled shyly at him through her lashes. The feeling was indescribable. She had been waiting so long to say it, and now she has, only to find out that he felt exactly the same... But... “Oppa, I’m leaving.”

“And I’m not going to stop you.” Youngwon said. “Just know that I’ll be here waiting for you when you come back.”

“Promise?”

“I promise Reora...” Youngwon said gently. 

 


 

Chapter Posted on: Aug. 3. 2012

YEAY!!! Another chapter! Sorry this took so long. I was sooo busy and AFF was being weird so yeah... Haha... I hope you guys enjoy this Youngwon story! =D Dedicated to my girl, you know who you are! ^^ Hope you like it! Readers, please do comment and subscribe if u haven't ok? Thanks a loooot! ^^