Chapter 7: Chocolate VS Strawberry

Trust Me

 

CH7: Chocolate VS Strawberry

 

The cafeteria, like any normal school day, was packed with students. Some were idly discussing what the New Year's Festival would bring, and of course, the kind of preparations they would be making. But unlike others, there were those who were joining in the latest gossip in their class.

 

Eun Ji and Yoona were sitting amongst their other classmates, discussing the news for that day.

 

"I told you it would work!" Yoona clapped happily.

 

"I was so excited, I wanted to go there and see for myself!" Eun Ji exclaimed, throwing her hands in the air.

 

"Wait wait wait. So you mean to tell us that you two were the masterminds behind Sehun and Yeonnie?" Jung Jaemi inquired.

 

"Not us just two." Yoona winked.

 

"Sehun was actually the one who asked for our help." Eun Ji simply said.

 

"Oh wow. I didn't know he likes her." Lee Dongho said.

 

"Oh come on! Isn't it obvious the way he treats her?"

 

"Well he's nice to everybody!"

 

"Tch." Seo Hye muttered. "You are hopeless Dongho."

 

But their attention was grabbed by the opening of the cafeteria doors. The chatter of the students died down a little as they saw Sehun and Seul Yeon go in.

 

Eun Ji and Yoona stared open-mouthed at the spectacle in front of them.

 

"They're holding hands?!" Yoona hissed.

 

"Already?!" Eun Ji added.

 

While the others at their table rolled their eyes in amusement, the two couldn't do the same.

 

"Hmm. I thought he was going to take it slow." Eun Ji frowned.

 

"Oh come on." Dongho countered. "They're just holding hands! What's the fuss about?"

 

Seo Hye slapped Dongho's head. "It's Seul Yeon we're talking about here." She said.

 

"And?"

 

"And," Yoona continued irritated. "She doesn't like skinship that much."

 

"I seemed to remember the stoic expression she had last year." Jaemi thoughtfully said. "You know, the time where you accidentally hugged her instead of Yoona?"

 

"Oh right." Dongho shuddered. "I thought she was going in a relapse."

 

"We thought she'd never speak again." Eun Ji said. "The whole class felt they were dumped in ice cold water."

 

"Two whole weeks of silent and expressionless Seul Yeon." Yoona added.

 

The others shivered, recalling the memory.

 

"It's kind of funny." Seo Hye observed. "I mean she doesn't really talk to us that much. But I kind of felt for her, you know?"

 

"I get what you mean." Jaemi commented. "Even though we're not that close, I was sorry for her."

 

"Maybe because we went in the same middle school..." Dongho trailed off.

 

The others fell silent, knowing full well what happened. Jaemi, Dongho and Seo Hye felt uneasy. They were one of the classmates that went against Yeon because of Hyejin. Sensing this, Yoona spoke up.

 

"She's forgiven you, you know?" Yoona said. "I mean after all that..."

 

"We really felt bad." Seo Hye reasoned. "We didn't know Hyejin was jealous of her."

 

"We were wrong to judge her so quickly." Jaemi added. "We didn't even know Hyejin that well. Whereas Yeon was there for us all the time."

 

"Well she's not angry anymore." Eun Ji explained. "She never is the one who stays angry."

 

The table fell silent again, each in their own thoughts.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Sehun led her in the cafeteria in search of an empty table. Seul Yeon was aware of the stares her classmates are giving her, as well as the glares of Sehun's many admirers. It made her feel very uncomfortable, so she tugged her hand free of Sehun's.

 

He gave a questioning glace her way, still carrying their lunchbox.

 

"People are staring." She muttered. "Sorry."

 

Sehum gave a reassuring smile.

 

Ah. I souldn't have pushed my luck with holding her hand. But I'm glad she didn't pull away quickly.

 

"That's okay, Yeon." He leaned in closer to her so that they were staring at each other's eyes. "If you feel uncomfortable in anyway, just let me know."

 

She couldn't help but be touched by his sincerity, and gave him a smile of her own. "Thank you."

 

Sehun just smiled back and pointed towards a table near the window.

 

"Let's eat some lunch."

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

"Oh wow." Sehun breathed. "This is amazing!"

 

The two were sitting at the table with the scarf untied and the lunchbox opened.

 

Seul Yeon blushed a faint pink. She secretly hoped Sehun would like what she prepared.

 

The rice was molded into the square shaped box. A few egg rolls adorned the top to form a sun design. The peas were shaped like the leaves of the trees and strips of chicken were the trunks. A small container was also opened to reveal a few slices of watermelon for dessert.

 

"I feel so special right now." Sehun whispered, but not too soft that Yeon couldn't hear. He looked up to her, smiled and said, "Thank you."

 

She mumbled a "You're welcome" and proceeded to take their chopsticks.

 

Handing him his pair, their fingers brushed lightly. Sehun reddened a little bit, but said nothing, afraid to ruin the moment. He noticed that they didn't have refreshments, so he excused himself to buy some.

 

"Don't eat it all up." He winked at Yeon before disappearing towards the vending machines.

 

This feels nice. Yeon smiled. It's been a while since I enjoyed someone else's company besides Eun Ji and Yoona.

 

Sehun emerged a few minutes later, carrying 2 milk cartons. One was chocolate-flavored, the other strawberry. He put it down between them and took his seat.

 

"Thanks." Yeon smiled at him.

 

Sehun's heart fluttered.

 

"No problem."

 

They both reached towards their flavor of choice, but was surprised to find that they preffered the same thing.

 

"You like strawberry?" Yeon gaped at Sehun.

 

"Well, it's kind of my favorite." He replied, rasing an eyebrow and pulling the milk carton towards him. "I thought you didn't mind. I mean, all girls like chocolate."

 

"Not me." She countered, pulling the milk carton towards her. "I hate chocolate."

 

Now it was Sehun's turn to gape at her.

 

Is this for real??

 

He narrowed his eyes playfully. He pulled the milk carton towards him again. The chocolate-flavored one, lay forgotten at one side.

 

"I don't like chocolate too." He smirked at her.

 

Now that's something I don't see everyday. Sehun smirking at me.

 

Yeon stared at him, pulling the carton towards her. "I'm afraid this is something I can't give up without a fight."

 

Then, to everybody's surprise, began the most interesting tug-of-war of all time.

 

"Let it go!"

 

"No way! You let go!"

 

"I made lunch for us! It's just right that I get this-"

 

"Well who told you to make lunch anyway? Let go! Girls should like chocolate-"

 

"Don't eat your half then! And I don't need to like chocolate-"

 

"Who on earth doesn't like chocolate?? Let it go Yeon-"

 

"Speak for yourself Sehun-"

 

"Give it back! I swear-"

 

"No you give it back! Or I'm going to-"

 

"WILL YOU BOTH JUST FREAKIN' SHARE THE MILK??"

 

The entire cafeteria fell silent, surprised at Eun Ji's sudden outburst.

 

"You're like an old married couple! Honestly!" Yoona joined in, effectively shutting the two up. Yeon flushed a deep red, staring down at her hands on her lap.

 

The rest of their classmates shook their head in amusement.

 

These guys...

 

 

They make a cute couple...

 

 

I wish lunchtime is this interesting everyday...

 

 

"Sorry guys." Sehun apologetically smiled.

 

With that, the rest of the cafeteria went back to their own business.

 

Eun Ji smirked, and glancing at Yeon who gave a small wave, she waved back and sat back down. Yoona sighed, a small smile on her lips, and mouthed four words to her bestfriend.

 

 

We'll talk later, Yeonnie.

 

 

Seul Yeon just gave a silent yes and turned her attention back to her table.

 

"An old married couple eh?" Sehun teased, eating one of the chicken strips.

 

"Oh shut up." Seul Yeon snapped, but she was smiling.

 

Sehun laughed and put two straws inside the strawberry-flavored milk carton.

 

"Share?" He asked.

 

Yeon beamed. She couldn't explain why she was so comfortable around him. Or why she was nervous and excited at the same time. She hadn't felt this much energy in a long while.

 

"Share."