The Memories That Haunt Me

Trust Me

 "Did you hear about Oh Sehun and Shin Seul Yeon?"

 

"That they're dating? Yeah of course!"

 

"The popular guy falls for the not-so-popular girl. What a cliche!"

 

"I know right? How can she grab the attention of our Oppa?!"

 

"You know, I think her shy personality is just a facade."

 

"I think she's just faking it."

 

 

The whispers were unbearable. The stares were even worse. It's like middle school all over again.

 

 

 

=FLASHBACK=

 

Seul Yeon made her way to her locker, head bent down. It's been a week since Hyejin's little scene at the cafeteria.

 

How could she do that to me? Yeon thought bitterly, fumbling with the combination of her locker. I trusted her so much.

 

 

"There she is."

 

"I can't believe she's using her parent's divorce to gain popularity!"

 

"That's so low. I bet she made it all up too."

 

"And to think I looked up to her. Scumbag."

 

 

Yeon choked back tears as she held her books to her chest. It was all too much. They knew she could hear them perfectly well, but they didn't bother lowering their voices.

 

What did she do wrong? She just wanted to make friends. She wanted to be somebody they could lean on, be somebody who can help others. But now, because of some gossip, her classmates couldn't even look at her, much less be in the same room as her.

 

"Watch where you're going!"

 

Yeon gasped as she made contact with a body and sent her books flying to the ground.

 

"I'm so sorry." She muttered, frantically going on her knees to retrieve her fallen things.

 

"Well well well. If it isn't the faker."

 

Seul Yeon froze, her hand on top of her History book. She'd recognized that voice anywhere.

 

"Hyejin." She breathed. Looking up, she saw Hyejin with her group, all staring down at her with looks of disgust.

 

"I must say I like looking at you down on your knees like that." Hyejin sneered. "It's rather becoming of you."

 

Yeon said nothing. She was too tired to defend herself. Hyejin was only picking up a fight.

 

It's not worth it. She just doesn't know any better.

 

"What's wrong?" Hyejin teased. "Cat got your ugly tongue?"

 

The rest of her group laughed along with her. Yeon recognized some of them in her class. And a sob threatened to escape.

 

"You are so pathetic. You can't even defend yourself." Hyejin said, her sneering face etched on Yeon's mind. "Now I know why Kim Jongin left you."

 

 

 

 

 

 

SLAP!

 

 

 

 

 

It happened so fast. One second she was on the floor on her knees, willing herself not to cry. Then the next she was standing up, her hand stinging from the impact and her face an angry red.

 

The sound ricocheted off the walls of the hallway. Hyejin stood open-mouthed, her hand clutching on her cheek where Seul Yeon slapped her. The people in the hallways seemed to hold their collective breath at the spectacle in front of them.

 

"Y-You...y-you..."

 

"Don't you dare drag Kai into this." Seul Yeon hissed. "You don't know anything!"

 

Hyejin stared for a while, then smirked at her. Folding her hands across her chest, she walked slowly towards Yeon.

 

"Really?" She teased. "Then how come he came over to my house after your...breakup? I seemed to remember him telling me all the things you did wrong, as well as all of the things you can't do."

 

Seul Yeon said nothing, but continued the glare contest with Hyejin.

 

She's lying. Kai wouldn't do that to me.

 

But you can't trust anyone now. A nagging thought was drilling in her mind. Who's to say Kai wasn't affected by Hyejin's accusations and gossip?

 

But he's Kai. He's different.

 

Different than Eun Ji and Yoona? Where was he when you were shunned away? Where was he when you were hurting?

 

Yeon bent her head down.

 

Eun Ji and Yoona are all I have left.

 

"Yeah. I thought so too." Hyejin smirked. Turning to her friends, she said.

 

"Who has a pair of scissors? I think Yeonnie here wants to play dress up."

 

 

=END OF FLASHBACK=

 

 

 

Seul Yeon shuddered at the memory. She unconsciously ran a finger to her collarbone. A faint scar was peeking from underneath her blouse, where Hyejin "accidentally" cut her while making alterations with her uniform.

 

Kai. I wonder where he is.

 

"Yeon! Yeonnie-ah!"

 

A voice rang out, interrupting her thoughts. She whirled around and saw Sehun making his way over her, a smile on his face.

 

"Good morning Sehun-ah." Yeon greeted, shuffling her books to one arm as she closed her locker with the other.

 

"My morning got even better because I saw you." He winked, causing her to laugh and give him a sweet smile.

 

"You're silly, Sehun-ah." She said.

 

Sehun raised his hand to his chest, in mock hurt.

 

"Is it a crime to be happy to see my girl?"

 

Yeon just smiled at him. Sehun was so warm, he could light up any room he goes into. He also made her feel safe.

 

Just like Kai.

 

Yeon frowned and shook the thought out of her head.

 

No. They're not alike. It was a long time ago, Yeonnie-ah. Forget it.

 

Sehun noticed her blank expression. He took a step forward and put a hand on Yeon's shoulders, forcing her to regain her composure.

 

"Are you okay, Yeonnie? You look a little sick." He asked.

 

"I'm fine, Sehun-ah. Just a little tired." She replied, giving him a small smile.

 

"Aaw. Did that walk in the park yesterday tire you?" Sehun pouted. "You should've told me, that way I could have carried you all the way home." He winked, just for effect. Sehun grabbed some of Yeon's books and entwined their hands together.

 

Yeon just laughed. Honestly. Sometimes it feels she was taking care of 3 kids. One second, Sehun was flirty. The next, he becomes a pouting little child. Then the next, he becomes a mischevious teen.

 

He's so full of surprises.

 

"Let's just get to class you big baby." Yeon chuckled, leading him to their classroom.

 

"But I'm your baby, right?" Sehun teased, making her laugh out loud again.