Whisper [featuring Yoon Doojoon]

One and Only

Your phone rings violently on the table across the room. You don’t bother picking it up, knowing full well who is calling.


“Hello?” The answering machine picks up the call, revealing Bom’s voice. “I know you’re in there.” You hear your best friend say through the phone, a tone of unmistakable worry in her voice.

You lay on the couch with your head buried under a pillow. “Call me back, okay?” Bom apparently hadn’t put down the phone yet, “I’m worried about you.” She tells you before the line went dead. A feeling of nostalgia runs through you causing a tear to fall down.

You sit back up, pushing back the tears that are starting to fall. You couldn’t do it though, as you find yourself weeping uncontrollably. 

Normally, at times like these, he would be by your side, comforting you. That isn’t the case now though. When you’d cry in silence in your room, he’d enter and hand you a box of tissue. Now, not even a shadow is there to calm you down.

You miss him already, and it hasn’t even been long.

You miss how he would make you laugh at his jokes, even if he sometimes gets the punch line wrong.

You miss how he would make you coffee early in the morning, knowing well that you don’t eat breakfast.

You miss how he’d stay with you till late in the evening to help you study for exams, patient enough to answer your endless array of questions.

You miss him.

You miss Yoon Doojoon.

Flashback

“You’ll be given 30 minutes to write a song. Be sure to finish it by then.” The teacher tells everyone as she proceeded to sit down. You grab a pen and paper from your bag and start writing some lyrics. Music class was loosing its usual spark, and the activity your teacher gave didn’t help. Writing a song in 30 minutes seemed too hard. Nevertheless, you do it with gusto.

You’re already half-way to finishing the lyrics when your classmates started getting noisy. You try blocking out the noise to concentrate on your writing, but it doesn’t work.

Soon enough, the loud chatter became high-pitched screams, and being in the front row, you have no idea why.

Then all of a sudden, a tall figure stands right in front of you, casting a shadow on your paper. You look up to see Yoon Doojoon holding a bouquet of flowers. Shocked, you look around for someone who possibly could be expecting the flowers. 

Doojoon lets out a chuckle and reaches for your hand. Reluctantly, you let him grab your hand, motioning for you to stand up. You do so, confused, and he kneels down in front of you, holding the bouquet. He doesn’t let go of your hand, and you stand there dumbfounded.

“I may not be perfect in many ways,” He starts saying, reaching in his pocket for something. “But I promise to do my ultimate best,” His hand comes out from his pocket, holding a necklace. “And try my hardest,” He continues, standing up this time, showing you the necklace, “To be perfect for you.”

Your classmates start screaming loudly, as Doojoon puts on the necklace around your neck. He then hands you the flowers, and your heart beats faster. 

More and more people start gathering outside your classroom, hoping to catch a glimpse of what is happening. Apparently disturbed, the teacher shoos everyone away before calling out Doojoon.

“Mr. Yoon Doojoon, do you mind getting out of this classroom and getting back to yours?” She tells him sternly, her anger evident in her eyes. Doojoon smiles sweetly at you before heading out. 

Your teacher then turns to face you, “What are you still standing for, Ms. _______? Get back to work.” She says sharply, her eyes boring into yours through her glasses. “Everyone, get back to work or I’m giving all of you detention.”

You obey her order immediately, not wanting to stay after class for detention, and lay the bouquet of flowers on your table. You stare at it for a while, smiling affectionately, and remember the necklace he gave you. You take a closer look, admiring it. The pendant was in the shape of a star, the words ‘I Love You’ engraved in the back. You giggle to yourself, feeling giddy inside.

You get back to writing your song when something catches your eyes. You take out a card that inserted inside the bouquet and read it.

‘I'm happy that you're in my life. I'm happy that I can walk down this road by your side. And I promise you one thing -- That I'll love and cherish you forever. And I’ll never leave your side.’

End Flashback

You can’t stand being alone anymore. You cry and cry for hours, but the pain just won’t seem to go away. You toss and turn in your sleep until finally, you stop. In your mind you hear Doojoon singing you to sleep, calming your nerves and helping you relax. 

Morning came, the sun shining more brightly than ever. Despite what happened, you feel peaceful inside. The pain didn’t go away, your heart aching more and more by the passing minute. But hearing him sing you to sleep made you realize something, even if his singing was only from your memory.

Doojoon wouldn’t have wanted to see you so down. You know deep inside that he’s watching over you.

You clutch the necklace around your neck tightly, your eyes closing slowly. 

I love you, you whisper into the necklace.

And all of a sudden, you feel a cool breeze, although the windows are closed. 

I love you too; you hear his voice whisper back.

You clutch the necklace more firmly this time as a single tear falls down on your cheek.

And I’ll never leave your side.


The End