Text messages

Minister, maybe.

 

4 days later

Eight girls invited Minister Choi Sooyoung to go on a picnic with them. Since she still had her holiday, Sooyoung agreed and had her cars take everybody to the national park.

“The weather is so nice!” Jessica exclaimed as soon as the girls got out of the cars.

“Let’s set up things under that huge tree!” Tiffany ran towards the tree with hands full of sandwich baskets. The girls quickly set up a huge picnic area and sat down on the big piece of picnic cloth. Sooyoung and Yoona couldn’t wait to be able to eat right away.

“I heard there’s a very beautiful waterfall nearby. Let’s go there and then we can have lunch when we come back.” Taeyeon said.

“Aww…” Disappointed whines could be heard from Sooyoung and Yoona. Nine girls however walked to the sound of water and found a shining shimmering splendid waterfall.

“Wow…”

“Is it a real waterfall?” Tiffany asked.

“You sound like you had never seen a waterfall before.” Taeyeon teased.

Couples eventually got into their own worlds hugging and pecking. Sunny actually got the permission to tag along with YoonHyun who were just playing with the water. Hyoyeon watched the waterfall in amazement and couldn’t get her eyes off of the sight. She didn’t even know her wheelchair was slowly sliding towards the lake. It was only when the wheelchair was about to fall into the water that she realized what was going on.

“Omo GUYS HELP ME!!”

“Whow whow!” Sooyoung quickly grabbed the handles of the wheelchair and pulled Hyoyeon back just in time. Everybody sighed in relief and thought that it was time for lunch.

“Sooyoung’s nickname is shikshin.” Taeyeon stated as everyone’s eyes except Yoona’s were on Sooyoung who was taking in all the food in her sight.

“So she’s like Yoongie unnie!” Seohyun smiled.

“These sandwiches are so delicious! Who made them?” Sooyoung complimented.

“Hyoyeon unnie made them! Hyoyeon unnie’s cooking is the best!” Yoona exclaimed.

“Wow!” Sooyoung gave Hyoyeon a thumbs-up. “I totally love these!”

Hyoyeon blushed a little and smiled. The girls chatted cheerfully and finished the meal. Not long after, TaeNy lied down on the grass and took a nap with Tiffany’s head on Taeyeon’s chest. Sunny leaned her back on the big tree and played her Nintendo DS while the rest of the girls went back to the waterfall. YulSic also decided to take a nap on the grass since the background music from the waterfall was too relaxing. YoonHyun played with the water and kept on whispering to each other and giggling.

Hyoyeon closed her eyes and enjoyed the calm atmosphere. It felt like looking at the sky at night. The same feeling when worries were washed away and when the brain went blank. There was nothing need to be done and nothing to regret. She slowly opened her eyes and saw Sooyoung standing near the waterfall, watching the water falling down. Her eyes looked like she was in deep thoughts while her lips curved up a little and formed a hidden smile.

“What satisfying thing are you thinking about?” Hyoyeon asked.

Sooyoung turned to Hyoyeon and smiled. “It’s so peaceful.” She said.

“It is.”

“It makes me feel accomplished. You know, as the Minister of National Defence, peace is at the top of my list. Being here now seems like everything’s fine, and that it’s gonna be alright.” Sooyoung let out a long sigh.

“But isn't it alright now? I mean, it’s peaceful.” Hyoyeon tilted her head.

Sooyoung nodded and smiled. There was something in her eyes that Hyoyeon couldn’t read.

 

--------

 

 

3 days later

 

Sooyoung's POV

 

"The plane is going land in five more minutes, Madam." An officer in uniform stood straight with his chest raised proudly saluted.

"Thank you." I nodded. then put down the documents and took off my glasses. The officer collected them and placed them neatly in my suitcase like he always did whenever I was going on a flight.

"Thank you. What's your name again?"

"My name is Kang Dong Ho, Madam." He said.

I wanted to smile sweetly at him but my strict reputation didn't permit, so I just nodded and hoped that he would see the appreciation in my eyes. He had been very dedicated and excellent in doing his job. 

The plane landed swiftly and as soon as I got out of it I saw the familiar bulletproof Rolls Royce waiting for me. My arrival in Australia this time was a secret. It is only public when it's friendly meetings that encourage the relationship between two countries which is not now. My trip this time is about serious things that you shouldn't know for the sake of your mental health.

I attended a 5 hour long meeting with the Prime Minister and the Minister of National Defence of Australia, about the serious stuff.

After the meeting I went to a hotel since staying at the guest house of the Parliament was not so secret. Dong Ho checked in for me as my assistant while I pretended to be a lawyer from overseas.

"Ah~..." Lying down after a long and controversial meeting was the best feeling ever. Dong Ho got me a suite and you know it was pretty and luxurious and everything. And this soft bed was just perfect.

I took a nap and woke up feeling hungry. It was nearly 2 in the morning but this hotel should be serving food 24/7 right? Right. Food wouldn't wait for anybody. Like time. I called the reception and ordered kimchi fried rice which they said will be ready in ten minutes. So I sat down on the armchair near the glass wall and watched the night outside, waiting. I let my thoughts wander freely from the peaceful night to how it was not really that peaceful. Things were actually out of control and horrible consequences could take place anytime now.

But we never let our people know. And you shouldn’t know either, so I’ll stop here hehe.

I love my job. It's hard and can be stressful, but I enjoy doing it. Since I was a kid I had been protective over almost anything. I would get the punch if it means my friend could run away and I would get teased if it means my sister could get back her teddy. Me as a kid loved to protect her things and people. She would sacrifice without hesitation. Now that I was the Minister of National Defence, I got a whole country to protect. And wasn't it the job that best suit me? It felt wonderful seeing smiley faces of children and the elder, and happy families in the theme park or restaurants, after an as-stressful-as-hell meeting.

My thoughts wandered to my friends. I made a lot of friends last week when I was on a holiday. Taeyeon invited me to a party. She said her friend was suffering depression after the accident that ended her idol career so they wanted to cheer her up and well, I had a weak spot for those kinds of things.

Hyoyeon's lovely smile popped up in my head. I really liked her smile. She gave me a warm feeling deep down inside. No wonder the fans went crazy for her. It was such a loss that the accident took place.

The food came and I finished it in five minutes.

Before going to sleep, I just had the urge of texting someone, well I'm not gonna tell you who 'cause it's top secret.

 

--------

 

Hyoyeon jolted up again at 1 in the morning. She had that dream again. She wondered when she would stop having those dreams. She felt bad. She didn't want to dream about such thing, but she just couldn't help it.

Suddenly her phone vibrated and startled her.

"Hi Hyoyeon. I hope I didn't wake you up or anything. And I know it's late but I want to say good night and smile more tomorrow okay? - SY"

‘Nice timing, Sooyoung.’ Hyoyeon unconsciously smiled right away. The bad feeling had gone and suddenly she no longer felt lonely, knowing that someone just randomly had her in their thoughts. She wanted to text back but then realized Sooyoung was in Australia where it was around 3 in the morning. Maybe it was best to leave it until later.

That night Hyoyeon went back to sleep easily with a smile on her face.

 

-------

 

Sooyoung’s POV

 

"Madam, please wake up. You have to attend a meeting in 2 more hours." A voice echoed from afar disturbing my sleep.

"Whaatt meeetingg..."

"The meeting with the UN about hsjdkcidgdyssft"

I jolted up immediately. "Shhh!! It's top secret how dare you??"

"M-madam I-I'm sorry."

What if the reader hears it or something you idiot. And why is he saluting and looking at the ceiling? "What are you doing Kang Dong Ho? Your gestures are all wrong." I scolded him.

"Y-yes, Madam." He said, still looking at the ceiling.

Wait. I looked down and found myself wearing only a night gown and the blanket was thrown away as a result of me sitting up abruptly.

"Dismiss!!" I pulled up the blanket and said firmly, almost sounded like yelling. Dong Ho hurriedly backed off.

Aishhhh. I myself was always in a default bad mood in the morning. Did he just have to make it worse?

The meeting was at 9 and now was already 7am. I quickly went to the bathroom and took a shower. Then I had breakfast in the restaurant of the hotel and off to the Parliament building.

Just when I was about to get into the car, I received a text.

“I will smile a lot today ^_^ and you too! Work hard for world peace! Way to go Minister of National Defeeeence!”

Pffsh. Hehe.

Hey wait. Why are YOU reading my text? It’s top secret and if you excuse me, I have to go to the meeting nao.

 

------

 

Author's POV

 

So day after day, Hyoyeon and Sooyoung kept texting back and forth. Most of the time it took hours for Sooyoung to reply since she was so busy. They ended up having small conversations that lasted for a whole day.

 

Two months after the first text message

 

“The weather is so cold here I feel like a super model wearing all these jacket and coat xD – SY”

“Why do you feel like a model haha it sounds more like a MINISTER with bullet proof coats – HY”

 

4 hours later

“Because only models wear weird clothes… Ow I’m so hungry… - SY”

“You just finished the meeting? Go eat now. – HY”

“I’m on my way to the restaurant >_< have you had dinner? – SY”

“I am preparing it with Seohyun. We are having our weekly party tonight. – HY”

“Ooooh that sounds fun! I wish I was there. – SY”

 

The day after

 

“Work harder than yesterday okay Minister! – HY”

“I will! Work hard for world peace! Now you go smile more. – SY”

 

6 hours later

 

“I’m dead hungry :( - SY”

“Aw come taste my ramen I just made some – HY”

“Oh suree I will order the helicopter to come and pick it up – SY”

“No I’m just kidding don’t send the helicopter! Please spare my roof haha – HY”

 

3 hours later

 

“Okay I just canceled the order.. :D – SY”

“When are you coming back to Korea? – HY”

“I’m going to the US tomorrow and to Vienna next week. Then I’ll go back to Korea. – SY”

“Remember to come taste my ramen! ^_^ - HY”