CHAPTER 8 FINALLY

Power of Love

 

I paced up and down outside the emergency room, nervously glancing at the door, hoping the doctor would finally come out to break to me good news. I looked over my shoulder at the man that was slumped into one of the seats, his expression clearly distraught.

“Jaehyo…” I said hesitantly. “Did you love her?” I asked as he looked up to meet my eyes.

“Yes…”he said, his voice thick with emotions, “ I never wanted her to get hurt…I’m sorry.” I nodded, looking away from him, feeling the lump in my throat. Hae Ra…My Hae Ra…I hope she was fine.

“Sir?” I heard a doctor call out. Turning around, I turned to look at him, watching how he hesitated when he saw two of our eager faces. Jaehyo backed away, sitting back down and I advanced, moving towards the doctor.

“Yes? How is she?” I asked, feeling anxious at the doctor’s grim expression.

“She’s fine…but there will be side effects. She may show some signs of memory loss at times.” He started. “ but don’t make it hard on her to remember, let her take her time.” The doctor smiled reassuringly. “She’s still asleep, please come back tomorrow if you want to see her.”

Saying my thanks, I hurriedly left the hospital without a second glance at Jaehyo. My Hae Ra was safe. That was all that matters to me.

***

I walked dejectedly out of the hospital, feeling heaviness in my heart. I knew it was me who caused Hae Ra’s accident. I didn’t mean to. I just couldn’t take the pain she was causing me. It hurts so much…just to think that she chose Kiseop over me. Why? Did I not treat her well?

I sighed heavily as I ran my fingers through my hair, feeling exasperated. Flopping down onto my bed, I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to clear my head but instead, it made me remember something…

“Oppa!” Hae Ra said, smiling blissfully as she tackled me to the bed, giggling happily at our closeness.

“I love you…” I murmured, kissing her sweetly, feeling her soft lips against mine, feeling her hands slowly buried themselves in my hair, as we closed the distance between ourselves. I felt a slight tug at my shirt and I glanced down, seeing her slowly ing my shirt.

“We can, right oppa?” she asked softly, her eyes twinkling. I chuckled, nodding at her as she continued to pull off the rest of my shirt…

My eyes flew open at the sudden memory of our time in the states. I really missed her.

***

I stopped by the florist in the early morning the next day, buying the freshest roses. Smiling to myself, I made my way to the hospital, my heart already yearning to see her again.

As I reached the hospital, I noticed him. My eyes narrowed, why was he here so early too? I walked up the stairs, catching up with him. Jaehyo stared at me for a second before he too, turned and made for the hospital.

I took a calming breath as I walked into the hospital, the smell of alcohol and medicine making my nose wrinkle. Hae Ra hated this place. And yet…

She’s locked in this terror.

***

The door swung open and I turn to see who it was. Oh, it was Kiseop. I tore my gaze away from him and looked back at the sleeping face of the girl I loved…we both loved.

Kiseop silently went to her other side and sat down, a tender look on his face. He brought a finger to her face and gently brushed her hair to the side. I couldn’t help but stare at him. His eyes held so much pain.

“Unh…”

Both of us turned as Hae Ra made a sound, eyeing her cautiously, waiting for her to make another sound…another sign that she was conscious.

Both of us were holding our breath, watching her closely…

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity...

She stirred.

***

Hae Ra’s eyes opened and she blinked a few times, looking around the place. Slowly, her eyes began focusing on us.

“Jaehyo oppa…” she said softly. I stiffened. Why was he first?

I waited eagerly for her to call my name. Hae Ra’s eyes shifted to me and she glanced back at Jaehyo.

“Jaehyo oppa…who’s he?” Hae Ra asked, confused.

My heart nearly stopped.

Hae Ra didn’t remember me?

 

 

im sorry for the long wait T.T