Eight

Beneath the Skin

 

8. The 21st Century

 

 

A pale girl, occupying the highly-conveted window seat of the classroom, stared at the scenery outside nonchalantly. She ran a finger through her long chestnut-brown hair that seemed so smooth and silky like they had never been tangled before.  

 

“Once upon a time, in a faraway land, there was a magical empire with ambitious clans that desired to hold the realm of kingdom. There were sorcerers, wizards, witches and most importantly, the elites of the elites who were the family clan leaders of dark magic and superpowers,” the monotonous voice broke the tranquility.

 

She did not bat an eyelash upon hearing, unlike the other over-exaggerated reactions thrown in the air of amusement, excitement, disbelief and a few other emotions that she did not bother finding out. 

 

“What is this,” an olive-skinned boy threw his arms up and snorted, “are we still three-year-old kids who will believe in such absurd things?” 

 

“No,” another boy with ruffled blonde hair and pale skin rebutted him, “this may well be true, Jongin. I have read it somewhere. Soojung, you know about this too, right?”

 

She nodded plainly, and her vermillion red-dyed hair stood out, even though her beautiful face had already did. Perfect Jung Soojung, a name that fitted the equally perfect face.

 

The first girl smiled as not a single cloud obscured the deep serene. 

 

More than a century ago, Dragon’s Flight was the dominating clan, which was brilliantly led by a commanding yet charismatic young man, Kris.

 

Amusement graced her angular features, and her blood-red lips formed a perfect curve. 

 

He was a fearsome creature with glittering scales, giant wings and fiery breath.  He had the claws and teeth of a tiger, face and horns of an ox, body of a snake, legs of a horse; he was a powerful dragon,” the monotonous voice continued.

 

She chuckled darkly. 

 

This time, she stood up and walked out of the classroom abruptly. 

 

The teacher called for her but she did not stop. 

 

Just like the story.

 

That was to be continued.